DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Convince me why I should not buy a PS3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/523919-convince-me-why-i-should-not-buy-ps3.html)

rfduncan 02-04-08 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 12cm
3) TARGET had a deal where you got a $100 gift card just for buying a $389 Sony BDP-S300. It isn't the best BD player out there (no TrueHD audio or dts HD), but price is a big issue for me. To get it for $289 sealed the deal on my foray into hi-def. (Actually, the $100 can't be applied to the player, but I did get a 12' HDMI cable and 2 movies with the gift card that I'd have had to pay extra for otherwise.)

This is by far the silliest argument I've read in this thread. So you settled for a player that is by your own claims "not the best" and already voiced that the firmware doesn't support several features the upgradeable PS3 firmware will probably support all for a $100 gift card to Target? Dude, you could have gotten that cable at MonoPrice for about 20 bucks. -ohbfrank-

If you're that strapped for cash, maybe you shouldn't be pursuing high def at this stage of the game...

12cm 02-04-08 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
This is by far the silliest argument I've read in this thread. So you settled for a player that is by your own claims "not the best" and already voiced that the firmware doesn't support several features the upgradeable PS3 firmware will probably support all for a $100 gift card to Target? Dude, you could have gotten that cable at MonoPrice for about 20 bucks. -ohbfrank-

If you're that strapped for cash, maybe you shouldn't be pursuing high def at this stage of the game...

Oh, that's intelligent. If I can't afford the absolute best, get nothing at all??? THAT is the silliest argument I'VE ever heard, but sadly, it seems a common one here ("not anamorphic = no sale", "no insert = no sale", "no trailer = no sale", ad nauseum). People have argued for HD-DVD based solely on $129 hardware, but I can't tell someone that if they're not into games they can save $100 over the PS3 by buying the BDP-S300?

Oh, and by the way... the firmware IS upgradeable. Don't let mentions of "no Ethernet port" in reviews fool you... I upgraded my firmware to 3.70 as soon as I set it up, although it already had beyond 3.0 from the factory. I'm not saying that TrueHD audio or dts HD will magically be enabled through a firmware upgrade, but it IS upgradeable, and in case you missed it, I don't mind the lack of internal decoding of those audio tracks because I don't have a high-end audio system, just standard 5.1.

Toslink and coaxial apparently don't have the bandwidth for those tracks, and my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, so until I upgrade the audio chain, it makes zero difference to me (and a hell of a lot of other people, because I'm damn sure not the only person who "settles" for this player) that the bleeding-edge audio codecs aren't supported. Regardless, I haven't read anything that says you can't get True HD or dts HD audio if you hook it up to a capable receiver through HDMI, so I don't think the player is as crippled as some would have you believe.

The bottom line here though is that you've discovered a brand-new DVDTalk phenomenon... the "postcrap". It's like a threadcrap, but it only targets a single post, although still for the same whimsical and nonsensical reasons. Just because you live and die by the PS3 doesn't mean that a casual gamer can't forgo buying one just to save some cash. I think I was pretty clear that they were MY reasons for passing over the PS3 (which I did seriously consider), so I can't see how you can justify coming along and pissing on them.

Oh, and by the way... I could have got an HDMI cable for $17 at the computer shop down the street, but I wanted to go with the Belkin. Two movies, a Blu-ray player that also makes my standard DVDs look much better, and a quality cable that I didn't have to wait for all for $389 plus tax works pretty damn fine for me. I also "settled" for a 720p 26" LCD, but I'm sure now you'll tell me that if I can't afford a 1080p DLP projector, I might as well stick with analog CRT until K-Mart runs a blue-light special.

I'm not a welfare case dude, I just have other priorities besides sinking all my hard-earned cash into home entertainment gear. It's nice to see the pretty pictures, and I got on the bandwagon for around 400 bucks, so my $960 tax refund also netted me a brand-new PC in the bargain. Somehow sitting in front of a 40" 1080p plasma watching movies on a PS3 that requires an add-on remote (since it doesn't come with one and universals won't work) pumping out TrueHD audio that isn't supported by my receiver anyway just wasn't attractive to me... sue me.

Knives 02-04-08 11:26 PM

Ps3 is awesome, and the high profile games are coming out REAL SOON in 2008 like Killzone 2, and others.

12cm 02-04-08 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Knives
Ps3 is awesome, and the high profile games are coming out REAL SOON in 2008 like Killzone 2, and others.

...which are only selling points if you're a gamer. Do we really need to keep going over this?

crow121 02-05-08 11:15 AM

thanks for the arguments against, but i caved in and my ps3 is going to be delivered today. just bought ratatouille on blu ray. it better be worth it.

sony wins again.

matome 02-05-08 12:10 PM

I have both the PS3 and standalones and the only minuses I see are the Bluetooth remote (which can be worked around for the most part) and that it won't match rack components in the HT.

Yavin 02-05-08 12:14 PM

I think the PS3 still looks ok amongst the other components of my living room theatre. At least it's black, to match my TV and HD-A3 (not like my HD-PVR and my older, non-upconverting DVD player, which are silver).

matome 02-05-08 12:17 PM

True, it's much better looking than the white 360 abomination, that's for sure. I actually paid big bucks on Ebay back in 2005 to get a seemingly then-rare black faceplate to cover that thing up.

RichC2 02-05-08 12:22 PM

Totally disagree, the White X360's design is a masterpiece compared to the heinous PS3's "Futuristic in the 80s" Portable Grill design. That said, that is about the biggest complaint I have against the system anymore. (Plus I have it well hidden, so it's eye sore factor is kept to a minimum.)

Numes 02-05-08 12:30 PM

The aesthetics of a gaming system would probably be the absolute last thing that would influence my buying decision. I guess if it looked like an elephant turd, I probably would think twice. Is the look *really* a key factor in your purchasing decision, or are you just making an observation?

Ocelot 02-05-08 12:48 PM

I haven't see any electronic equipment looks like elephant turd, but to me, all of the first generation players are bulky... Anyone still remember their first dvd player? That damn thing weight like a ton and bulky like hell, almost worse than streamlined VCRs. However, when the slim players came out, man, everything looks sexy. Not only saves shelf space, but easier to setup and stuffs (well, smaller to work with).

To me, the X360 exterior does look better than the PS3, but it's hideous with the hd-dvd add-on (unfortunately). The PS3's look is meh... All of them need to be slimed . The slim PS2 is sexy, i'm gonna get one of those for my PS2 library (the PS3 is too busy with BD and PS3 games). The slimed DS and PSP are sexy as well.

Sweet Baby James 02-05-08 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
The PS3's look is meh... All of them need to be slimed .

Why would you want them to be slimey?-wink-

Ocelot 02-05-08 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Why would you want them to be slimey?-wink-

oyi! :lol:

you got me there Baby James :)

slim and slime, doh!

slimy and slimey, oh boy!

slimed and slimmed, wow! English is a fun language, thanks for the laugh, SB James ;)

Michael Corvin 02-05-08 02:01 PM

Slime would probably cut down on dust.

12cm 02-05-08 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Slime would probably cut down on dust.

rotfl

Cedrock 02-07-08 11:46 PM

the only reason not to get a ps3 to play bd is if you wanted to waste your money and look stupid. I just redeemed mine for free a few days ago and can't wait to watch blu ray on it.

Knives 02-08-08 03:43 AM

Ps3 can do so many functions, web cam conference, internet, mp3s, divx, linux, stream from computer, game demos, and hundreds of more features it's freaking awesome!!

It's a waste just to use it for blu-ray playback!

Ocelot 02-08-08 12:26 PM

Knives... but the thread is about NOT to buy a PS3 :)

Anyhow, i agree with you... it's such a waste if you're only using it for BDs.

To stay on the topic, another reason not to get it, well, it's $400!

However, rumor has it that it will be $300 by summer (this month's EGM).