DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Would You Buy Any Of These TV Shows In BD/HD DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/523488-would-you-buy-any-these-tv-shows-bd-hd-dvd.html)

Mercury&Solace 01-25-08 12:45 AM

Would You Buy Any Of These TV Shows In BD/HD DVD?

I am just curious about the interest in these would be in high def.
I wanna know.

I don't want to hear anything about the format war, just vote.

TheMovieman 01-25-08 12:54 AM

Nope. None of those... Already own the Buffy, X-Files and Firefly and have little interest in Miami Vice. Which, btw, why include that one? Seems to me a TV show a couple decades old wouldn't be worth getting in HD (IMO).

For me, if I was getting any TV series in HD, it would be current one's (that I already don't own). I don't mind double dipping on some movies but TV series would be awfully expensive...

vcuram 01-25-08 01:00 AM

No.

Chicken Warrior 01-25-08 01:07 AM

No way.

Sanitarium 01-25-08 01:20 AM

Nope.

True_Story1011 01-25-08 01:28 AM

x-files all day!

Darknite39 01-25-08 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Nope. None of those... Already own the Buffy, X-Files and Firefly and have little interest in Miami Vice. Which, btw, why include that one? Seems to me a TV show a couple decades old wouldn't be worth getting in HD (IMO).

For me, if I was getting any TV series in HD, it would be current one's (that I already don't own). I don't mind double dipping on some movies but TV series would be awfully expensive...

I wouldn't mind seeing how Cheers ended up looking in 1080p...

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/ne...1/cheers.shtml

RoboDad 01-25-08 01:55 AM

Buffy and Firefly would be no-brainers for me.

Lt Ripley 01-25-08 03:56 AM

Nope.

ENDContra 01-25-08 05:33 AM

Id definitely buy Firefly.

Do Buffy or The X-Files even have HD episodes? I know both have 16:9 episodes, but I dont know if they were actual HD.

Sparrow 01-25-08 06:44 AM

None of the choices on BD interest me.

BuckNaked2k 01-25-08 07:07 AM

Should have had an option for "None".

Dane Marvin 01-25-08 07:08 AM

Maybe X-Files before it turned into a pile of shit. Most shows are made better with continuity, this one was an exception to the rule. The standalone episodes are the best by a longshot.

At any rate, TV shows will be the last thing I convert to HD (if at all!). The prices are way too high.

Michael Corvin 01-25-08 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Darknite39
I wouldn't mind seeing how Cheers ended up looking in 1080p...

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/ne...1/cheers.shtml

oooh... now were talking. I'm fine with my standard X-files, but I'd probably double dip on Cheers if the price was right. It seems to be a show that would have a noticeable difference in quality. Plus it would get more play than X-files in my home. Comedy is easier to pop in and watch a few episodes than dramas.

xfilefanfreak 01-25-08 07:20 AM

x-files anyday

PixyJunket 01-25-08 07:46 AM

None of those interest me.

bunkaroo 01-25-08 07:46 AM

Voted for all except Miami Vice (not a fan).

Firefly seems like a no-brainer for Blu-Ray.

Not sure how effects were rendered on Buffy and X-Files, but if they were done on film instead of video, I think there could be a benefit from going to HD, especially since they're both darkly lit shows most of the time.

seltzer77 01-25-08 08:03 AM

None of those

shelland 01-25-08 08:23 AM

none

It wouldn't let me vote without checking any...

RockyMtnBri 01-25-08 08:43 AM

Shows that are currently broadcasting in hi-def may get a nod from me (I picked up Smallville season six for that reason), but older shows will not. Regular DVD will do fine for those. BTW, I voted for Firefly even though I have the standard DVD set.

dvd182 01-25-08 09:08 AM

I'd get Buffy and maybe Firefly if the prices were somewhat reasonable.

kefrank 01-25-08 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Firefly seems like a no-brainer for Blu-Ray.

anyone know who currently has the home video distribution rights for Firefly? Fox released the DVDs in 2003, but since then the show has aired (and is being aired again this year) on Universal HD, which makes me wonder if Universal also acquired home video rights.

Adam Tyner 01-25-08 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank
anyone know who currently has the home video distribution rights for Firefly? Fox released the DVDs in 2003, but since then the show has aired (and is being aired again this year) on Universal HD, which makes me wonder if Universal also acquired home video rights.

Universal HD is airing quite a bit of stuff they've licensed rather than own outright -- like the Robocop movies, f'r instance -- so it might not be safe to assume that Universal has Firefly now.

Maxflier 01-25-08 09:20 AM

Firefly, maybe. The rest, no.

Doughboy 01-25-08 09:25 AM

Firefly, definitely.

Buffy, maybe. It depends on how they'd look. The first 2 seasons likely wouldn't benefit much from HD.