Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 5

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-21-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Continued from part 4...

You might notice that the Blu-ray discussion is on its fifth thread, while the HD DVD discussion is only on its second. The overwhelming reason for this is because a tiny handful of particularly determined posters are hellbent on diminishing every piece of Blu-ray news, no matter how innocuous it may be.

This is thread is intended for news and discussion about Blu-ray. Criticism of the format and studios is acceptable and encouraged, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to post that "this is why your Blu-ray update doesn't matter" or blindly defending HD DVD. There are no more "...versus..." threads here, and those users who continually attempt to use this thread to that end will be suspended.

We've been overly lenient towards some obnoxious users up to this point, but the derailment at the end of the earlier thread will not happen again.

If you're not interested in Blu-ray -- and I don't care if you have a player or not -- stay away from this thread.
Old 01-21-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rock on!
Old 01-21-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, guys, let's talk about the point of even having a Blu-ray player: HDM. Let's hear your predictions for Top 5 Blu-ray releases of 2008 (sales-wise or in terms of being a candidate for DVD Talk Collector's Series). Pan's Labyrinth got in just before the buzzer to close '07 -- what are we gonna get in '08 that will cause non-HD supporters to make the leap? You would think we'd be seeing great titles coming at a breakneck clip, but I just don't see it yet.

I personally have no huge predictions to make. I just want to comment that I hope to see many more titles announced for the 2nd quarter than what we've got now. Right now, I'm basically just looking forward to "No Country for Old Men", "Michael Clayton", "Walk Hard", "Twister", and "The Chronicles of Narnia" this year (and I think that covers stuff that has been announced up through May). Everything else I've seen announced is just going to get a Netflix rental. By comparison, when I was still buying DVDs, there were weeks when I would buy that many titles at one time. I don't even buy DVDs anymore -- just rent.

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 01-21-08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
the dark knight ought to come out before the end of the year. i predict it will have the biggest first-week numbers of any title so far.

of the titles with official release dates, i'm personally looking forward to:
Gattaca
No Country For Old Men
Bonnie and Clyde

but i don't think any of those will do very big numbers (though No Country ought to be respectable).
Old 01-21-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking forward to Lawrence of Arabia. And this is the only A-region title so far that has me excited (Run Lola Run I pre-ordered). In a month or so I will have a B-machine which clearly will make me excited about a few imports (Roman de Gare in particular and depending on initial reviews most likely Caramel).

This being said, I think it is very difficult to tell how the year will shape up as we simply have very little info thus far (my feeling is that catalog titles will be much stronger than new releases).

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-21-08 at 11:13 PM.
DVD Talk Special Edition

My bad - I forgot Bonnie & Clyde. I will definitely purchase that.
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Alright, guys, let's talk about the point of even having a Blu-ray player: HDM. Let's hear your predictions for Top 5 Blu-ray releases of 2008 (sales-wise or in terms of being a candidate for DVD Talk Collector's Series). Pan's Labyrinth got in just before the buzzer to close '07 -- what are we gonna get in '08 that will cause non-HD supporters to make the leap? You would think we'd be seeing great titles coming at a breakneck clip, but I just don't see it yet.

I personally have no huge predictions to make. I just want to comment that I hope to see many more titles announced for the 2nd quarter than what we've got now. Right now, I'm basically just looking forward to "No Country for Old Men", "Michael Clayton", "Walk Hard", and "The Chronicles of Narnia" this year. Everything else I've seen announced is just going to get a Netflix rental.
Nothing announced so far from Blu-ray has be going "Yes!". Hopefully we get X-men I & II, Magnolia, Rushmore and Fight Club later this year. I can't think of any movie this year coming into theaters that has me going "Yes!" either (but I don't follow Theatrical movies that much). Problem is, I don't see Blu-ray (or HD DVD) digging deep into their catalog to release movies I'd like to buy. Releases so far have been so damn random I don't know if were going to get Magnolia or Darkness Falls. Casee in point, GI Jane. Was anyone REALLY expecting that one so soon?

I heard a Wolverine and/or Magneto movie was coming out...any idea if its this year? If so, X-Men I and II would make snse to be released around that time.

Edit: Dark Knight is a must for me. Hopefully its better then the first movie as I thought it was pretty boring.
Old 01-21-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
(my feeling is that catalog titles will be much stronger than new releases)
really? isn't that the opposite of what we've seen so far?

i do think catalog titles will pick up considerably this year, but it seems like there will have to be tons of catalog releases for them to catch up with the big numbers that day and date titles do.

anyway, i will add to my list that if Iron Man does pretty well at the box office and gets critical reviews at least on par with Transformers, it ought to move a lot of units on BD.
Old 01-21-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Nothing announced so far from Blu-ray has be goin"Yes!". Hopefully we get X-men I & II, Magnolia, Rushmore and Fight Club later this year. I can't think of any movie this year coming into theaters that has me going "Yes!" either (but I don't follow Theatrical movies that much). Problem is, I don't see Blu-ray (or HD DVD) digging deep into their catalog to release movies I'd like to buy. Releases so far have been so damn random I don't know if were going to get Magnolia or Darkness Falls. Casee in point, GI Jane. Was anyone REALLY expecting that one so soon?

I heard a Wolverine and/or Magneto movie was coming out...any idea if its this year? If so, X-Men I and II would make snse to be released around that time.

Edit: Dark Knight is a must for me. Hopefully its better then the first movie as I thought it was pretty boring.
I don't think they're too far on the Magneto/Wolverine films, but I wouldn't rule out X-Men/X2 releases simply because of that. As for Batman Begins, I thought it was very good for a comic book to film translation. It spent the necessary amount of time building a believable backstory rather than just jumping in and getting it all wrong. The sequel should only require backstory on The Joker, and I think it will be pretty action packed. I am stoked for it, and would be downright shocked if we didn't get both Batman titles on the same release date (unless WB gives us Batman Begins around the theatrical release date of The Dark Knight!)
Old 01-21-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
X-Men:Wolverine in May 09... I hope the first two are released sometime this yr... but they might just wait until next yr.
Old 01-21-08, 11:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
The sequel should only require backstory on The Joker, and I think it will be pretty action packed. I am stoked for it, and would be downright shocked if we didn't get both Batman titles on the same release date (unless WB gives us Batman Begins around the theatrical release date of The Dark Knight!)
Spoiler:
There will be no backstory on The Joker according to Christopher Nolan.

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-22-08 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-21-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
I can't wait to hear the score of the just announced Patton in lossless sound. Fight Club is the other title I'm waiting for in 2008.
Old 01-21-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't Fox promise the Alien flicks? Gimme.
Old 01-21-08, 11:31 PM

what blu-ray needs is a title like Raiders get the treatment like Bladerunner received to get some of the mainstream buyers interested. New Indiana movie is coming so maybe some hope sooner than later.
Old 01-21-08, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
anyway, i will add to my list that if Iron Man does pretty well at the box office and gets critical reviews at least on par with Transformers, it ought to move a lot of units on BD.
FYI, Iron Man, as of right now, is Paramount, which is HD DVD exclusive.
Old 01-21-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

really? isn't that the opposite of what we've seen so far?
I'm assuming he's talking about quality rather than absolute sales numbers. Otherwise, that statement doesn't reflect the trends that have been in place pretty much since the inception of home video. Recent theatrical releases have dominated sales charts for decades.
Old 01-21-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm assuming he's talking about quality rather than absolute sales numbers.
Indeed. It seems like the French Warner list for 2008 for example that was leaked through RAMA has plenty of titles that if done right will move a lot of units in North America. The reason why new releases sold better in 2007 is because they were the perfect promotion for one of the camps to secure a larger base of supporters. Quality catalog releases on the other hand require more time as well as a secure market to sell well, something the distribs have not exactly been graced with.

Pro-B
Old 01-21-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Didn't Fox promise the Alien flicks? Gimme.
I don't think they did. I believe that was wishful thinking that morphed into a rumor they were coming.

I think the best-selling title will be (or should be) Indiana Jones ATKOTCS, assuming it's at least half as good as hoped.
Old 01-22-08, 12:01 AM

Location: Sacremende (by way of the worst place on Earth: cincinnati, ky)
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Spoiler:
There will be no backstory on The Joker according to Christopher Nolan.
This should be spoilered.

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-22-08 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 12:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay, I've put spoiler tags both on the original post and the quote in your post.
Old 01-22-08, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. So far all of the buzz I've heard has been nothing but positive, so when Paramount makes the jump to Blu-ray, Iron Man will be a big seller.
Old 01-22-08, 03:40 AM
Banned

The title I really want is Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World.

I also wish Fox would stop short-changing the special features (in some cases, leaving them out all together) for their Blu-Ray releases. Of course, it's for the inevitable double dip.
Old 01-22-08, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't think they did. I believe that was wishful thinking that morphed into a rumor they were coming.

I think the best-selling title will be (or should be) Indiana Jones ATKOTCS, assuming it's at least half as good as hoped.
I thought they announced Die Hard was coming at the same time.
Old 01-22-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It's possible that Alien and Aliens might've been mentioned in an interview or something somewhere along the line, but they had definitely never been formally announced.
Old 01-22-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I am looking forward to Lawrence of Arabia.

The clip from the Blu-ray demo in 2006 was one of the things that started me down this HD disc buying road. Can't wait to finally buy this on Blu-ray.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.