Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount following Warner out the HD DVD door?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount following Warner out the HD DVD door?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 01:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...bU&refer=japan

Paramount Denies Report It Will Drop Toshiba's HD DVD (Update1)

By Andy Fixmer and John Liu

Jan. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures denied a newspaper report that the studio is poised to follow Time Warner Inc. in abandoning Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD technology.

``Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format,'' Brenda Ciccone, a spokeswoman for Paramount, said in an e-mail today.

Toshiba, the leading promoter of the HD DVD format for high- definition video discs, fell in Tokyo trading after the Financial Times reported Paramount is poised to adopt Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray format instead.

Paramount can defect because a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp allows the studio to switch to Blu-ray if Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. dropped its support of Toshiba's standard, the newspaper reported today, citing unidentified people familiar with the plan. Warner Bros. said on Jan. 4 it would drop its support of HD DVD.

Keisuke Ohmori, a spokeswoman for Tokyo-based Toshiba, said the report is speculative. Masayo Endo, a spokeswoman for Sony, declined to comment on the report.

Tokyo-based Toshiba's shares declined 0.8 percent to 777 yen as of 2:45 p.m., headed for the lowest close since March 16 on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Sony's stock rose 3.1 percent.

To contact the reporters on this story: Andy Fixmer in Los Angeles at [email protected] ; John Liu in Shanghai at [email protected]
Last Updated: January 8, 2008 00:49 EST
Old 01-08-08, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't mean anything. If you asked warner about their stance on Thursday night they would have said "we only plan on supporting both formats". Then on that glorious Friday, WHAM! right in the face.
Old 01-08-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by ktown
pls be quiet and post the video of ur silent 360
Silent 360 please stand up!
Old 01-08-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...bU&refer=japan

Paramount Denies Report It Will Drop Toshiba's HD DVD (Update1)
I don't doubt that they will continue to support HD-Dvd but I just don't think they will be exclusive for much longer. There is too much money to be made not to at least support both.
Old 01-08-08, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Silent 360 please stand up!
Silent 360's....Have nothing to say..
Old 01-08-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I think it would be pretty funny if not only Paramount can use the out clause, but they don't have to give the money back either.
Old 01-08-08, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Enthusiast: "So, I heard you're dropping HD DVD in the next few days."
Paramount: "We're not droppin' HD DVD."
Enthusiast: "Ok, well, I heard this from a few reliable sources."
Paramount: "We're not droppin' HD DVD."
Enthusiast: "Ok, well, can I grab a handful of that tasty popcorn?"
Paramount: "Sure."
Enthusiast: "Wouldn't mind if I could grab the soda and wash this down, would you?"
Paramount: "..."
Enthusiast: "...???"
Paramount: "Here yah go."
Enthusiast: "Ahhhh. Yeah, so, Pirates Of The Caribbean looks damn good on that HDTV, doesn't it."
Paramount: "Hell, yeah. It's fuckin' awesome! I mean...what was that? Pirates who? HDTV? Get the fuck outta here."
Old 01-08-08, 03:17 AM

Is the deaf guy's 360 silent to him? Jeez, glad I could end that discussion for everyone. Isn't posting your opinion in any forum considered antagonistic to someone else? Glad I could end that discussion for everyone.
Now onto why the hell I'm posting. Is the best news anyone has read in the past few days attributed to the Sony CEO stating they have reached out an olive branch to Toshiba in hopes of growing the industry?
Old 01-08-08, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fact that we still have circle jerk threads containing all the usual suspects is disturbing on multiple levels.

There are people who are actually praising Michael Bay, ffs. On DVDTalk. Surely, one's devotion to a disc format cannot compel him to openly support one of Hollywood's most famously bad directors. Surely, one cannot possibly spin that selling 1.3 million PS3's over the holidays, even with many sales incentives such as free BD discs, is a good number in the face of 2.1 million 360 units and 2.7 Wii units. Rather than just posting from the heart, sometimes using the brain helps a bit too.
Old 01-08-08, 05:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks so much, you guys, for being completely unable to keep your bickering under control. I'm now closing yet another thread because of it. Harry, your baiting tactics are being discussed by the mods. Gizmo, your "shit" comments and snide remarks about Pro-B aren't welcome, either.

Just because WB's decision more than likely means Blu-ray will become the dominant HD format doesn't give Blu-ray supporters license to gloat or make negative comments about HD DVD. Nor is this the place for HD DVD supporters to vent their frustrations about Blu-ray. Don't turn this place into AVS.