Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any US HD or BR players to watch out for that won't play PAL?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a lot of Region 0 PAL discs (mainly music titles). I'd hate to upgrade to a new player and find that they're no longer viable.
Old 01-06-08, 01:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
The PS3 does not play PAL discs. I have several myself. As for the standalones, I'm not sure, someone who has one will have to speak up on that.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-06-08 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, since the player would have to do PAL to NTSC comversion (at least for DVD's with video content), I think the better question is "which players do". I would imagine that the majority do not.

I have yet to try playing a PAL DVD in my PS3. I'll give it a try sometime if nobody else chimes up.
Old 01-06-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Your BR A-region machine will play SDVDs in NTSC coded region 0 or 1 (I've tried a Korean region 3 disc on one of my players and it does not play).

To play PAL SDVDs on a BR player (PS3 or standalone) you need to purchase a B-region BR player (European). Which of course will handle PAL SDVDs coded 0, or 2 (I am quite certain PAL region 5 discs, from Russia, will not play there).

Pro-B
Old 01-06-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HD DVD players do not play PAL discs at all.
Old 01-06-08, 04:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Your BR A-region machine will play SDVDs in NTSC coded region 0 or 1 (I've tried a Korean region 3 disc on one of my players and it does not play).

To play PAL SDVDs on a BR player (PS3 or standalone) you need to purchase a B-region BR player (European). Which of course will handle PAL SDVDs coded 0, or 2 (I am quite certain PAL region 5 discs, from Russia, will not play there).

Pro-B
However, an external PAL->NTSC converter should still work on any Blu-ray or HD DVD player, correct?
Old 01-07-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
However, an external PAL->NTSC converter should still work on any Blu-ray or HD DVD player, correct?
That would only work if it actually plays PAL video. I don't know about the standalone BD players, but someone on AVS mentioned the HD DVD players do not play PAL (regardless of region coding).

It looks like you'll just have to keep a region-free DVD player with PAL conversion or an HTPC.
Old 01-07-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Drexl
That would only work if it actually plays PAL video.
It looks like you'll just have to keep a region-free DVD player with PAL conversion or an HTPC.
Drexl is correct!

Thus for the next two months I will still be using the Oppo I have. Mid-April I shall have a B-region Blu player for imports. And no upconverting players of any sort!

Pro-B
Old 01-07-08, 01:28 AM

No Region A blu-ray (or HD-DVD) player will play PAL discs.
Old 01-07-08, 01:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Drexl is correct!

Thus for the next two months I will still be using the Oppo I have. Mid-April I shall have a B-region Blu player for imports. And no upconverting players of any sort!

Pro-B
What B-region player are you looking at? And are you going to use a PAL->NTSC converter for PAL video, or do you have a PAL TV?
Old 01-07-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
What B-region player are you looking at? And are you going to use a PAL->NTSC converter for PAL video, or do you have a PAL TV?
I'm curious about that also.
Old 01-07-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dan, a few things:

1. If you get a Region-B PS3 and plug it to your Bravia here in the US you are all set. The same goes the other way as well, buy a Region-A machine to use in Aussie land...should be a non-issue, etc (depending on your set up all you would need is a power converter, in Europe for many sets you won't even need one).

2. I would not necessarily opt for a 1.1/2.0 player as more than likely I will be buying catalog/foreign BRs of older films. More than 15 years ago I worked with Phillips and Telefunken equipment and if a Phillips machine with a good price tag comes along I would get one. If not, I will be looking at Panasonic/SONY.

3. Unlike what some people have been posting at TALK shouting how BR equipment will not be "consumer-friendly", etc, because it is not region-free, and so on...the European boards have been proving precisely the opposite. Even at AVS some copied the info while I was not posting in the HD section. With other words we are very much following the SDVD market progression with some very good news circulating on the non-English forums. I will be posting more in the future.

But here's what the Swedes already offer: an all out dual Samsung BD 1400. Plays both A and B region Blu-Rays as well as PAL and NTSC SDVDs. Since I am not a fan of Samsung I shall be waiting a bit more until one of the big boys are introduced to the forums.

Link:
http://www.dvdirect.net/

Ciao,
Pro-B

edit: I don't know if we are allowed to post this yet but here's a bit of info in English on the new modifications for the first SONYs:

A store in Stockholm, Sweden, will shortly start to sell multiregion players of Sony S300, S500 and Samsung BD-P1400 and the price will between 600 and 700 Euro. (6000-7000 Swedish Kronor. 1 Euro=9.50 SEK right now) The players are "ICOS Modified" and be guaranteed to work even after Sony/Samsung release new updates.
http://www.stegen.com/index.php/cPat...85e0ad70ac277a

Click on the player for specs.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-07-08 at 02:20 AM.