DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Problem with BD Resident Evil: Extiction (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/521808-problem-bd-resident-evil-extiction.html)

robert2339 01-06-08 12:01 PM

Problem with BD Resident Evil: Extiction

I just picked-up the BD boxed set of all the Resident Evil films. The first two worked fine. when I press play on the third, the music starts and then the video shows interview segments. Returned it thinking the disc was defective, but the exchanged version had the same problem. Any thoughts?

buckee1 01-06-08 12:11 PM

What player are you using? I tried it on my Sammy 5000 and got the same. It did however, play perfectly on my Sammy1000. Someone else on the forum had the same prob and states that this was a 1.1 disc that would require a FW Update to properly process the info.

robert2339 01-06-08 02:11 PM

i'm using the samsung bd-up5000. i went on their website and couldn't find a firmware update.

buckee1 01-06-08 03:10 PM

Same here. The firmware update is supposedly in the pipeline so, for now we wait.

MikeShaynePI 01-06-08 04:02 PM

Return your Samsung 5000 and get a PS3

ZFGokuSSJ1 01-06-08 05:37 PM

I think there's a problem with Resident Evil: Extinction no matter what.

MikeShaynePI 01-06-08 06:42 PM

I watched it on my PS3, no problem besides it being a bad movie.

bunkaroo 01-06-08 07:00 PM

I feel for the the people with problems, but I have to say this thread is yet another reminder of how slow Samsung is to release firmware.

I love my Sammy DLP, but I can't see buying any of their BD players.

Mr. Cinema 01-06-08 07:48 PM

I got this from Blockbuster Online. First time I put the disc in the Panasonic, it tried to load but would give up and the player stopped. I reloaded again and it worked. But it took an extremely long time to load up. I'm sure due to Java.

Damed 01-06-08 10:02 PM

Yep. A 1.1 disc on 1.0 players is going to be problematic at best.

Thankfully, my PS3 plays it flawlessly.

Gizmo 01-06-08 10:07 PM

....and the Profile mess begins now! ;)

Damed 01-06-08 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

It begun a while ago. It's just going to get WORSE now, as previous HD-DVDs show that Warner loves their interactivity.

darkside 01-06-08 10:14 PM

I really hate the way early adopters of BD standalones are treated. They paid by far the most for their players and they get weak firmware updates or no updates at all. It is one thing for the PIP to not work, but for discs to not play or take forever to load is just BS.

Damed 01-06-08 10:25 PM

As 2008 progresses, I would expect more and more discs will be profile 1.1. Thus far there have been only a few, but with the 1.1 players announced at CES and the PS3 recently upgraded to 1.1, I think 1.1 discs will become the norm very quickly - which is very bad for the early stand alone player owners.

Gizmo 01-06-08 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
As 2008 progresses, I would expect more and more discs will be profile 1.1. Thus far there have been only a few, but with the 1.1 players announced at CES and the PS3 recently upgraded to 1.1, I think 1.1 discs will become the norm very quickly - which is very bad for the early stand alone player owners.

Exactly why I passed on the $299 BDP-300 + 10 Free movies yesterday. I'll wait for a 1.1 player.

TheMovieman 01-06-08 10:31 PM

Exactly why I passed on the $299 BDP-300 + 10 Free movies yesterday. I'll wait for a 1.1 player.

Me too.

But I wonder, will 1.1 be it? Will it have any issues in the future if/when a movie uses the 2.0 technology or will those players be able to upgrade to 2.0? This whole profile thing gets confusing to me sometimes :p

Damed 01-06-08 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Me too.

But I wonder, will 1.1 be it? Will it have any issues in the future if/when a movie uses the 2.0 technology or will those players be able to upgrade to 2.0? This whole profile thing gets confusing to me sometimes :p

2.0 = BD Live!

That requires an Ethernet port. Thus far, the 1.1 player(s) available do not have one which would make it impossible to update to 2.0

Therefore, the PS3 is STILL really the only "safe" option unless you want to wait for the 2.0 standalone players

TheMovieman 01-06-08 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
2.0 = BD Live!

That requires an Ethernet port. Thus far, the 1.1 player(s) available do not have one which would make it impossible to update to 2.0

Therefore, the PS3 is STILL really the only "safe" option unless you want to wait for the 2.0 standalone players

Yeah, guess I'll just have to stick with a 1.1 player if at all. The more I read, the more I think I'll stick with SD-DVDs. If the Panasonic BD30 gets down to $250, I'll buy otherwise I think I'm out. I just don't find that much value in the PS3 since I very rarely play games (I mean, I'm perfectly content with my first gen PS2 and Madden 05, lol).

Damed 01-06-08 10:41 PM

Yeah, guess I'll just have to stick with a 1.1 player if at all. The more I read, the more I think I'll stick with SD-DVDs. If the Panasonic BD30 gets down to $250, I'll buy otherwise I think I'm out. I just don't find that much value in the PS3 since I very rarely play games (I mean, I'm perfectly content with my first gen PS2 and Madden 05, lol).

I bought Ps3 for 2 reasons.

1) Safest investment for a bluray player, both from a functional standpoint and from the aspect that if Bluray failed it would still be a good PS2/PS3 gaming box.
2) I can't get Rock Band for my Wii :D

darkside 01-06-08 10:42 PM

You don't have to play games on it. It is an excellent DVD upconverter and you can stream music and movies to it from your PC or put them on the HDD.
It is almost like owning a home theater PC.

matome 01-06-08 10:42 PM

It's not an issue with profiles, it's an issue with a certain player. I have zero problems playing this disc on my PS3, Panny BD10 (1.0) or Samsung BDP-1000 (1.0).

Gizmo 01-06-08 10:43 PM

The only thing the PS3 lacks is the display that shows the running time. I hate that I have to hit a button to see how much time is left.

Gizmo 01-06-08 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by matome
It's not an issue with profiles, it's an issue with a certain player. I have zero problems playing this disc on my PS3, Panny BD10 (1.0) or Samsung BDP-1000 (1.0).

Problem is there are already several people in this thread with issues with it not loading or taking forever. It seems each player has it "quirks" besides the PS3. I can only imagine it will get worse with more and more 1.1 discs coming to the market. The next "big" one is Saw IV.

darkside 01-06-08 10:45 PM

The only thing the PS3 lacks is the display that shows the running time. I hate that I have to hit a button to see how much time is left.

True, but I like all the info you get when you hit that button.

TheMovieman 01-06-08 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
You don't have to play games on it. It is an excellent DVD upconverter and you can stream music and movies to it from your PC or put them on the HDD.
It is almost like owning a home theater PC.

I'm sure it's a great unit, and if I were into music that much, that would be excellent, but I'm not. And since I own the A2 and A3, I already have upconverting players. I just find it hard to justify paying $500 for the 80GB unit (which is the one I'd want so at least I could play my PS2 games on it).

I was going to sit out until later this year anyway so I'll see what happens then. I'd like to get into BR but it sucks that the "safe" bet (like Damed said) is only through the PS3. Oh well, there's a lot that could happen in 2008.