DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Platinum Disney titles on Blu-ray? First one's Sleeping Beauty (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/521752-platinum-disney-titles-blu-ray-first-ones-sleeping-beauty.html)

PHMustang2000 01-05-08 05:09 PM

Platinum Disney titles on Blu-ray? First one's Sleeping Beauty

All this talk about HD and Blue Ray and I wondering since they are releasing Alot on Blue Ray and HD and since they are releasing Plat Disney titles on regular DVD like...The Lion King,The Little Mermaid, etc.

Are they planning on releasing them again on Blue Ray and HD or what is the deal?

Supermallet 01-05-08 05:12 PM

The first Platinum Edition Disney title will be Sleeping Beauty in Q4 08.

Mr. Salty 01-05-08 05:13 PM

Disney isn't releasing anything on HD DVD.

PHMustang2000 01-05-08 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The first Platinum Edition Disney title will be Sleeping Beauty in Q4 08.

Are you talking about Blue Ray? that will be Sleeping Beauty or will that just be on "DVD"

DthRdrX 01-05-08 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
Are you talking about Blue Ray? that will be Sleeping Beauty or will that just be on "DVD"

There is a preview on the Ratatouille Blu-Ray disc that advertises Sleeping Beauty as the first platinum title on Blu-Ray coming in 08. Can't wait for that one.

Supermallet 01-05-08 05:28 PM

Blu-ray.

PHMustang2000 01-05-08 05:30 PM

they need to redo them all on blue ray....i need snow white again I did the dumb thing and sold it on ebay awhile back. now i need it back

PopcornTreeCt 01-05-08 05:33 PM

I love what Disney has done with Blu-ray putting out better releases than any other studio but that shit with 1 release per 6 months has got to end. I tried owning every Platinum Edition on DVD but now that format is dead to me and I'll be buying Pinocchio on Blu-ray.

islandclaws 01-05-08 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I love what Disney has done with Blu-ray putting out better releases than any other studio but that shit with 1 release per 6 months has got to end. I tried owning every Platinum Edition on DVD but now that format is dead to me and I'll be buying Pinocchio on Blu-ray.

SD is dead to you? Man, you must love missing out on a LOT of great releases then. Not everything comes to HD you know...

PHMustang2000 01-05-08 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
There is a preview on the Ratatouille Blu-Ray disc that advertises Sleeping Beauty as the first platinum title on Blu-Ray coming in 08. Can't wait for that one.

What does this mean for all the titles already released? are they just starting over?

PopcornTreeCt 01-05-08 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
SD is dead to you? Man, you must love missing out on a LOT of great releases then. Not everything comes to HD you know...

Not really I already have everything I want. The only DVDs I buy are classic and foreign films.

candyrocket786 01-05-08 09:19 PM

What does this mean for all the titles already released? are they just starting over?

That's what it looks like.

I think we'll be lucky to see 1-2 BD titles per year. :mad:

I've always hated Disney's release schedule that seems to have the consumers by the balls.

DthRdrX 01-05-08 09:28 PM

I wonder if the would release the treasure sets again. I have the first four or five waves. Anyone know if there would be any visual advantage to having them in HD?

Frozenhamster 01-05-08 10:30 PM

Well. If you head over to UltimateDisney.com it may give you a better idea of Disney's plan for their Platinum releases. But as far as can be determined 101 Dalmatians, which comes out in March, will be the last Platinum release to be SD-DVD only. Starting with Sleeping Beauty the Platinum releases will be on both DVD and Blu-ray. What they will probably do is finish off the Platinum line with Pinocchio and Fantasia and then restart the line with Snow White and Beauty and the Beast. So probably in about a year or year-and-a-half we will be able to start replacing our current Platinum DVDs with Platinum Blu-rays. Hope that helps.

Here is a direct link to UltimateDisney's page about the Platinum line. Just scroll a bit down the page to find their info on the Platinum Line. http://www.ultimatedisney.com/releasetypes.htm

DthRdrX 01-05-08 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Frozenhamster
Well. If you head over to UltimateDisney.com it may give you a better idea of Disney's plan for their Platinum releases. But as far as can be determined 101 Dalmatians, which comes out in March, will be the last Platinum release to be SD-DVD only. Starting with Sleeping Beauty the Platinum releases will be on both DVD and Blu-ray. What they will probably do is finish off the Platinum line with Pinocchio and Fantasia and then restart the line with Snow White and Beauty and the Beast. So probably in about a year or year-and-a-half we will be able to start replacing our current Platinum DVDs with Platinum Blu-rays. Hope that helps.

Here is a direct link to UltimateDisney's page about the Platinum line. Just scroll a bit down the page to find their info on the Platinum Line. http://www.ultimatedisney.com/releasetypes.htm

Thanks Frozenhamster. That link really puts into perspective the collecting craziness that is Disney. I'll be picking them up from the start this time around. :)

Supermallet 01-06-08 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis

I bought maybe 5 SD DVDs in all of 2007. I have so many HD discs that I haven't even finished watching all of them, let alone having time to watch SD discs.

Adam Tyner 02-13-08 02:54 PM

Merged with the earlier thread.

Sleeping Beauty is listed on Amazon, if you'd like confirmation in English.

Giles 02-13-08 03:00 PM

7.1 sound - swheeeet! I think I read that some PiP feature might also get included for the Bluray edition.

the preview on the Ratatouille Blu-Ray disc is stunning in terms of it's colours! - wow!

matome 02-13-08 03:15 PM

Some info from HDD:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Blu-ray_/1456

Disney Confirms October Arrival for 'Sleeping Beauty' Blu-ray
Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 01:00 PM ET
Tags: Disc Announcements, Disney (all tags)

Disney has set a date for its first-ever Platinum Edition high-def release, alerting retailers to an October Blu-ray arrival for the classic 'Sleeping Beauty.'

As previously reported, the studio has been touting 'Sleeping Beauty' as the kick-off high-def title in its Platinum Edition series of animated crown jewels for several months now. First came an early "pre-announce" of a 2008 debut for 'Sleeping Beauty' last August, followed by a CES sneak peek again indicating a Blu-ray debut sometime later this year.

Now Disney has finally set a date for the highly-anticipated Blu-ray release of October 7th, day-and-date with a new standard-def re-issue.

Details for the Blu-ray were still scarce at press time, with only the previously announced remastered 1080p video and a PCM 7.1 Surround track (the studio's first) among the known tech specs.

'Sleeping Beauty' is also expected to be among the first titles from Disney to be fully BD-Live-enabled, featuring an exclusive "Virtual Castle" online destination, as well as the "Maleficent's Challenge" interactive game.

The studio tells us that the full media announcement is due sometime in the next couple of weeks, so we'll certainly keep you posted as further details are officially confirmed.

In the meantime, you'll find preliminary disc details for 'Sleeping Beauty' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under October 7.

We've also set up a dedicated thread for Disney's first-ever high-def Platinum Edition in our Forums area -- click the following link to discuss the 'Sleeping Beauty' Blu-ray release.

Gizmo 02-13-08 03:45 PM

One of the few Disney animated titles I have no interest in, damn. I want Lion King!

DthRdrX 02-13-08 03:48 PM

I can't wait to get this one. Havn't seen it since I was really young.

I can only hope Disney does more than 1 platinum release a year.

Drexl 02-13-08 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I can only hope Disney does more than 1 platinum release a year.

They already do, on DVD. From here on out, we'll get the spring titles on BD as well.

I just hope that the SB disc has enough extras for adults (commentary, documentary, etc.). It sounds like they're pushing that gimmicky stuff hard.

davidh777 02-13-08 04:17 PM

SB should look pretty incredible in BD :banana:

whomod 02-13-08 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
One of the few Disney animated titles I have no interest in, damn. I want Lion King!

I have to admit, this is disappointing news.
I'd be willing to buy a Blu-Ray player if it was Pinocchio or even Fantasia we were talking about.

Sleeping Beauty though is one of the "classics" that I really could care less about. Well actually it's the one and only classic that I could care less about. The fact that it came out in a Platinum Edition not that long ago makes me wonder why on Earth they'd pick that one to re-release.

True_Story1011 02-13-08 05:21 PM

I would be saying the same thing but my fiancee and daughter would probably kill me if i didnt snag this up...

Thank god I wont have to watch it with them :up: