Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will HD DVD have an answer to the "W" bomb?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will HD DVD have an answer to the "W" bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Toshiba's fatal error was to try and play as dirty as Sony and drag studios exclusive instead of trying to get the Blu houses to go purple. They should've organized grassroots campaigns to shame Fox/Disney/etc. to support this growing segment instead of limiting themselves to just one flavor. But, they didn't, and thanks to Warners decided to keep their fait accompli secret until they had the suckers, er, customers Christmas money in the bank, they're screwed. Short of suing everyone for breach, they're SOL as well as their customers.
WHile I agree that Toshiba could have fought the war with more smarts, I don't agree with characterizing Sony as playing dirty. Toshiba's strategy was to win based on hardware costs. Sony's was to win based on content. Why does everybody flock to YouTube? Because it's cheaper than it's rivals? No, becuase it has better content. Price usually gives you and advantage, but when prices start to even out, content always wins.

Sony didn't play dirty. Toshiba played stupid.
Old 01-08-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
WHile I agree that Toshiba could have fought the war with more smarts, I don't agree with characterizing Sony as playing dirty. Toshiba's strategy was to win based on hardware costs. Sony's was to win based on content. Why does everybody flock to YouTube? Because it's cheaper than it's rivals? No, becuase it has better content. Price usually gives you and advantage, but when prices start to even out, content always wins.

Price was a major factor on both sides. The frequent BD BOGOs helped create the perception of high demand for BD. It sucks that Warner didn't wait until after Q1 to see the effect of player sales.
Old 01-08-08, 01:42 PM

Toshiba's fatal error was to try and play as dirty as Sony and drag studios exclusive instead of trying to get the Blu houses to go purple. They should've organized grassroots campaigns to shame Fox/Disney/etc. to support this growing segment instead of limiting themselves to just one flavor.
I agree with this. I really wish this whole "war" had been one of hardware, quality of software and price .... and not the studios. If ALL of the studios had published in both formats then we could have had a legitimate battle where the winner would be determined by traditional market forces of supply/demand based upon price and what is percieved to be the superior technology.

Instead, studios had way too big of an impact on the outcome. The consumers should have been left to decide (and Warner itself made this case prior to going Blu).
Old 01-08-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually I'd say Sony won the war for one reason, the Playstation 3. It wasn't content and it wasn't hardware costs. But once the PS3 was released, sales went from 2:1 HD DVD to 2:1 Blu Ray overnight. And no amount of standalone sales could match the amount of PS3 players out there. The only thing Toshiba could have done to fight that was to have a built in HD DVD on the XBox. But that shipped saled whent he XBox was released sans HD DVD drive.
Old 01-08-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
Actually I'd say Sony won the war for one reason, the Playstation 3. It wasn't content and it wasn't hardware costs. But once the PS3 was released, sales went from 2:1 HD DVD to 2:1 Blu Ray overnight. And no amount of standalone sales could match the amount of PS3 players out there. The only thing Toshiba could have done to fight that was to have a built in HD DVD on the XBox. But that shipped saled whent he XBox was released sans HD DVD drive.
True, but maybe Microsoft was smart to take that year's head start and steal the video game market from Sony.
Old 01-08-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
True, but maybe Microsoft was smart to take that year's head start and steal the video game market from Sony.
Oh, I agree. It's not really in Microsoft's interest to back HD DVD (at additional costs) when there's a huge gaming division out there to be won. It's just that Toshiba didn't really do anything wrong other than not own a gaming division. And as an aside, Sony may have won the HDM format war, but it has hurt them in the gaming world. And I'm sure Microsoft loves that, particularly after the PS2 dominated them.
Old 01-08-08, 02:01 PM

True, I think if MS made the 360 Elite with a built in HD-DVD drive, than the sales would have been much closer.
Old 01-08-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WHile I agree that Toshiba could have fought the war with more smarts, I don't agree with characterizing Sony as playing dirty. Toshiba's strategy was to win based on hardware costs. Sony's was to win based on content. Why does everybody flock to YouTube? Because it's cheaper than it's rivals? No, becuase it has better content. Price usually gives you and advantage, but when prices start to even out, content always wins. Sony didn't play dirty. Toshiba played stupid.
Sony played dirty because they were able to bamboozle the movie studios into signing on to Blu-ray based on the lie that the PS2 made the DVD format a success and the fallacious assumption that because over 100 million PS2s were sold, the PS3 was a slamdunk. They Sony burned the studios by pricing the thing at $600 and having no notable titles after a year on the market while the 360 piled up the must-have games.

But Sony had time and patience to suffer billions in losses because the end result was that if they won the war, they'd reap a fortune in royalties from ALL HDM publishers as well as selling a ton of PS3s to people who figure for $400, why not get the twofer. If Sony hadn't been able to sell the lie to the studios in 2005, we wouldn't be looking at this debacle now.

Today is exactly two weeks after Christmas and thanks to Warners' nasty backstab, everyone who decided to buy into HDM just got a pricey doorstop for their trouble. Do they honestly think that all these people are going to just trot their orphaned Toshiba players back to the stores and buy a $400-$500 alternative players and replace their libraries. Or will they just say "ShaqFu this!" and wait until the prices are the same as SD?
Old 01-08-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today is exactly two weeks after Christmas and thanks to Warners' nasty backstab, everyone who decided to buy into HDM just got a pricey doorstop for their trouble. Do they honestly think that all these people are going to just trot their orphaned Toshiba players back to the stores and buy a $400-$500 alternative players and replace their libraries. Or will they just say "ShaqFu this!" and wait until the prices are the same as SD?
No, but those (relatively) few people are a drop in the bucket compared to the orders of magnitude more that will buy their first hi-def player in the coming years.

Early adopters never, ever, ever matter in the success of a new technology.
Old 01-08-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's an odd view. The people who you depend on to blaze the trail for a new format don't matter?
Old 01-08-08, 06:17 PM

That's an odd view. The people who you depend on to blaze the trail for a new format don't matter?
Not the ones that are going to take their ball home over a $99 player at least.
Old 01-08-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, it's reality. Early adopters buy early hardware that isn't refined. Think of them as beta testers. They are enthusiasts. A very small minority of ultimate purchasers.

They don't matter. More specifically - you and I don't matter. So, just enjoy it for what it is. No need for us to get too worked up about it.

That's why I always laugh when someone says they want to buy a "future-proof" receiver, dvd player, tv, etc. There's no such thing. If there were, that would mean nothing new is coming out.

That's also why I bought the absolute cheapest HD-DVD I could get that also met my needs - a refurbed XA1. No need to splash for the XA2 or the A35. Way too much money for marginal improvement, with a lot more added financial risk.
And then 3 weeks ago an open box BDP1000 for $129. At these prices, I have so little invested that I don't care if BR or HD-DVD get supplanted by something else.

Last edited by Lord Rick; 01-08-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-08-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope. If they mattered, then DVD-A, SACD and every other format on the scrap heap would've been a success.

J6P always make or break a format. Don't think for a moment that BD has actually won the HDM "war". For all we know BD will still flop.
Old 01-08-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Price was a major factor on both sides. The frequent BD BOGOs helped create the perception of high demand for BD. It sucks that Warner didn't wait until after Q1 to see the effect of player sales.
I was talking about hardware cost, not media. Sorry for not making that more clear.
Old 01-08-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony played dirty because they were able to bamboozle the movie studios into signing on to Blu-ray based on the lie that the PS2 made the DVD format a success and the fallacious assumption that because over 100 million PS2s were sold, the PS3 was a slamdunk. They Sony burned the studios by pricing the thing at $600 and having no notable titles after a year on the market while the 360 piled up the must-have games.
You're right! Those dirty f*ckers at Sony are total assholes for convincing all the gaming companies to hold off on releasing decent PS3 titles just to screw with those other brain-dead companies!!

What color is the sky in your angry dream-world?
Old 01-08-08, 08:19 PM

I don't think Sony bamboozled anyone, but I do think the whole industry(as well as a lot of non-industry types like myself) thought that PS3 would have been a much bigger hit than it has been. Had PS3 com out the gate blazing as expected, then this "war" would not have lasted so long. Even hobbled, HD DVD couldn't tip BD over, though they were very close to doing just that within the first few months.
Old 01-09-08, 03:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jericho
Oh, I agree. It's not really in Microsoft's interest to back HD DVD (at additional costs) when there's a huge gaming division out there to be won. It's just that Toshiba didn't really do anything wrong other than not own a gaming division. And as an aside, Sony may have won the HDM format war, but it has hurt them in the gaming world. And I'm sure Microsoft loves that, particularly after the PS2 dominated them.
Actually, the PS2 is still dominating the XBox and Xbox 360 in total hardware and software sales.
Old 01-09-08, 04:11 AM

Glad I got my 360 HD DVD player at Costco!
Old 01-09-08, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you on Sony and Toshiba. I don't on YouTube. It was because it was free content that made it big. I don't think many would have gone to it if it was a pay service.
Old 01-09-08, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think Sony bamboozled anyone, but I do think the whole industry(as well as a lot of non-industry types like myself) thought that PS3 would have been a much bigger hit than it has been. Had PS3 com out the gate blazing as expected, then this "war" would not have lasted so long. Even hobbled, HD DVD couldn't tip BD over, though they were very close to doing just that within the first few months.
Probably right. Yet, I can't help think that maybe the fact PS3 did less than stellar in gaming forced Sony to take the different push for HD. Maybe if PD3 went big guns in games, Sony wouldn't have been so hungry to take over the HD market.
Old 01-09-08, 09:40 AM

Well VHS had LD. While LD was better quality and had extra features (trailers, alternate audio tracks, and more), VHS still stayed around due to price of the players and the availability.

Now we have DVD and Blu-Ray. For Blu-Ray not to end up like LD, the players must cost less and the titles need to come flying out with extras that cannot be done on DVD.

I don't think it'll ever happen... I think we'll just have 2 formats like it was in the 80s & 90s.
Old 01-09-08, 09:46 AM

I agree, but I will say that there would be nothing at all worng with BD becoming an enthusiast format to DVD's mass-market format, just as LD was to VHS. BD does not need to conquer the universe to be a good product.
Old 01-09-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I agree, but I will say that there would be nothing at all worng with BD becoming an enthusiast format to DVD's mass-market format, just as LD was to VHS. BD does not need to conquer the universe to be a good product.
Nothing at all to you. But I don't think Sony and the studios are going to be excited if their annointed successor to DVD doesn't have much more impact than LD. A lot of money was spent on this war, and if they don't take over a decent chunk of the market, and grow sales with HD, then I don't know how likely we are to see a lot of releases compared to SD.
Old 01-09-08, 09:59 AM

I agree. With this structure, the studios will be able to make money from the J6P in DVD and collect premiums from the more affluent HDTV-owner-enthusiasts in BR. Win-win situation for the studios.
Old 01-09-08, 10:00 AM

Agreed. I was speaking from a consumer standpoint. LD, while not as proliferated as DVD, was a format that made many consumers happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.