Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you still gonna buy HD-DVDs?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Are you still gonna buy HD-DVDs?
Yes
44.41%
No
30.32%
Maybe, depends on the title
25.27%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Are you still gonna buy HD-DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Just picked up three HD DVDs from Amazon (Top Gun, Mallrats and Payback) - at $15 a pop and my free Prime shipping I couldn't pass it up.

Keep the cheap discs coming! I'll keep buying until everyone stops making them.
Old 01-13-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
HA, I had one too. A friend of mine still has it at his house and still uses it I think (probably NFL 2K, Quake, Virtua Tennis). I always argued with friends that it had better graphics than PS2 at the time. Just goes to show you that these format arguments never really end, they just change arenas.
Except....though the Dreamcast didn't do as well as it could have, it did complete for a while. Currently we have 3 'next gen' consoles, all are selling to various extents, and that'll probably be the case next gen as well.
Why is HDDVD/BD different? Why, for that matter, were VHS/Beta different? Why does the home movie market seem to 'settle' on one major format type, whereas the video game arena supports multiple consoles, with exclusives on each one? If the Xbox had HD built in from the beginning, would that have changed things, and in what way?
my answer: I bought into the hype at almost the beginning of HDDVD, and now have a player I don't use much (no fault of the player, I'm just not as into movies as I used to be). I haven't bought an HDDVD in some time, and my library is infinitesmal. The player is nice, there just aren't a lot of movies I wanted to spend 25 bucks on when I was to DVDs for 15 or less. Were I to get a BD player (cost is the limiting factor now) it'd probably be a PS3 so I could game too. I know there are great prices on HDDVDs now, but I've sort of 'moved on' and am not really interested in many of them.
Old 01-15-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Although I'm soon to get a PS3, I'm sticking with HD DVD. My only interest in Blu-Ray is for the Disney/Pixar releases. I'll just have to add WB titles to my Blu-Ray purchases once they stop producing HD DVD's.
Old 01-15-08, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have learned from Dreamcast and Neo Geo pocket color. No more HD DVDs for me!
Old 01-15-08, 07:36 PM
Banned

I'll eventually get a Blu-ray player if need be, but I am an HD-DVD supporter, will continue to buy titles, and love my A2. Best DVD player I've ever purchased.
Old 01-15-08, 09:51 PM

I'm sticking with HD-DVD as long as they keep making them.

I've invested a lot of money in HD-DVD and with my luck, the second I sold all my discs and my player to go with Blu Ray, HD-DVD would announce that they've bought Disney, Fox, Warner and New Line.

Saxon
Old 01-15-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Parasol Stars
I have learned from Dreamcast and Neo Geo pocket color. No more HD DVDs for me!

So you owned a HD-DVD player?

Even if MS/TS, inc. folded tomorrow, I'd still own and purchase HD product!