Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
WOW to Amir's comments on AVS!

Ladies and Gentleman, sounds like Hd-dvd is in fact dead, or as close as possible.
Well, I guess some people can hold their trophy high in the air, but personally, a lot of HD DVD owners are rejoicing now as well. We're gonna get some awesome deals. This might be a win-win for everybody.

HD DVD dead? Far from. There's a few HD DVD discs out there.
Old 01-04-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GMan2819
I strongly disagree. If and when HD DVD does go away, with no competing format, they can go back to the business model of soaking early adopters for as much as they can. There's still a good number of people on the sidelines who are willing to pay high prices as long as there is only one format. Once that sales curve starts to flatten then we'll see a price drop and the cycle repeats. I guess time will tell which way things will go.
The ship for early adoption sailed a long time ago.
Old 01-04-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Pushing VOD all of a sudden? I'm wondering if MS bailed on Toshiba before the WB announcement.
If all MS really cares about is VOD I'm glad Blu-ray won. VOD is fine for rentals, but I'm not buying movies to store on a HDD. I know Sony is doing the VOD thing on the PS3 as well, but at least they care about Blu-ray.

I don't have many regrets. We all knew HD DVD was a major underdog, but it was out first, was affordable and drove down prices for consumers. I will fondly remember it. I felt this was coming and my only major regret is not sticking to my guns and only buying Warner on BD the past couple of months. However, the B1G1s made buying HD DVDs and BDs for that matter pretty hard to resist. At least it was a pretty affordable venture.
Old 01-04-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ugh, the inferior format wins, forcing me to buy more expensive discs and play them on a poopy video game system
Old 01-04-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
You do realize he transferred divisions over a month ago, yes? I'm not sure what you are referring to WRT his "pushing" of VOD, as he has always acknowledged the likelihood that VOD would step up and take a strong segment of the market.
I was referring to this. IMO the best thing going is still prepackaged media, unless someone is trying to sell you something.

For those HD DVD supporters who may be feeling down, I have this to tell you. Keep your chin up. The best thing about what is going on here, is still here and never changed! I am talking about witnessing the birth and evolution of a next generation consumer delivery format. How many of you were there during the birth of television? Or theater? I assume no one. Yet, you are watching all of this unfold. This is what I find fascinating and what drives me to still talk about these things, even though I don’t have any responsibility one way or other regarding HD DVD.
Old 01-04-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Just took inventory of my HD DVDs, and learned that I have over 40 of them, plus 2 TV season sets and the Matrix trilogy. I'm hoping to add to that total when the inevitable HD DVD clearance sales show up. Plus, I will try to pick out the titles with IME, and extras not on their BD counterpart.
Old 01-04-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He was talking about HDM, not VOD....he even clarified that point a few posts down, but I'd think it was obvious from the context.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by discostu1337
ugh, the inferior format wins, forcing me to buy more expensive discs and play them on a poopy video game system
WRONG. Neither format is inferior to the other.

WRONG. No one is forcing you buy anything.

WRONG. The PS3 is a stellar BD system.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't regret my purchasing of an HD DVD player for one minute. I'm keeping the thing because if I wasn't old enough to be a laserdisc fiend, HD DVD can take that place (if it does). Also, it's a better upconverter than the PS3 IMO.

I'm not going to be political about this. I'm taking what's coming.
Old 01-04-08, 11:29 PM
Cool New Member

Havent read all the post, but this means THE DARK KNIGHT will be on Blu-Ray Only, YES. i also had a question when does, Paramount/Dreamworks deal expire i know it was for 18 months but dont remember when it went into effect.
Old 01-04-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paramonts deal expires at the end of 08. Around November I think.
Old 01-04-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh

Exactly.

Also, I would have been fine either way. If HD DVD had pulled off the deal with Fox and Warner I would have been fine with my Toshiba players and the HD DVD format.
Old 01-04-08, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

Nah, I'm right...luckily I got a free P30 60gig a while back so I'll be OK for a while. I'll continue to only buy HD-DVD as much as possible though, and hopefully they will get cheaper
Old 01-04-08, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...I'm completely shocked. I picked neutral in the speculation thread, but I thought if WB went one way it would have been HD DVD. As a format neutral guy, I'm not bothered by this at all.

Hopefully this will lead to the rock bottom software and hardware prices many are talking about for HD DVD. I will pick up as many titles as I can if they are heavily discounted.

All in all, this is good for HD media. Fence-sitters can feel better about jumping into the game and format neutral folks can concentrate more on BD. I still think we'll see BOGO's and lower priced software even though BD is likely to win. That is the only way they are going to get consumers to buy into a new format and possibly double-dip on titles.
Old 01-04-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
He was talking about HDM, not VOD....he even clarified that point a few posts down, but I'd think it was obvious from the context.
With Amir you never know ...

though I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm most interested to hear what MS does now.
Old 01-04-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Bah. I guess I should care but I really don't. After all the free discs and specials, I got my A2 and 360 HD add-on for practically nothing. They work fine as upconverting players and I paid about $10 each on average for the HD titles I do have that I didn't get free.

I will continue to buy HD-DVDs that come out if I want them and they hit my magic price point of $12 bucks or less. If not, no biggie.

This just delays me getting deeper into buying more HD discs and spending more money which is fine with me. I am not a Sony fan and have no plans to buy a BR player until they are super duper cheap (which might awhile). I don't care if they are the only game in town...it doesn't mean I have to run out and buy one immediately (like so many posters here are stating they are going to do) just because WB changed sides.

With so many HD movie channels (especially On Demand HD channels) and specialty HD channels (like History Channel HD, A&E HD, etc.) on Dish, Direct, and various cable companies, to quickly start spending a lot of money on a different HD format makes no sense to me (and we all know something is being worked on somewhere to displace the current HD format).

For Joe Sixpack and myself, it looks like a good HD satellite service with a HD-DVR is the best way to go at this time.
Old 01-04-08, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Paramonts deal expires at the end of 08. Around November I think.
March of 09 actually.
Old 01-04-08, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but here's an in-depth article from Variety. It states that New Line has also confirmed a move to Blu Ray, which isn't a surprise, but wasn't confirmed before.

Article
Old 01-04-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have an A20 and a PS3 in my theatre room. Have an A2 in my living room. Have an HD-A1 in my bedroom.

Have 39 HD-DVD movies, as well as Matrix Trilogy, Heroes Season One, Star Trek OS, Ocean's Trilogy, Planet Earth, and Mission Impossible Sets.

Have 36 Blu-Ray movies.

I'm very happy with the upconverting abilities of my hd-dvd players in the three rooms of my house. I won't be buying any more HD-DVDs, but will continue buying Blu-Ray. I'm very happy with the HD films I have now.

Several of these discs are unopened, and I've noticed a lot of people saying they will return theirs. How do you do that if you don't have a receipt? Do you just hope Wal-Mart will accept them...?

I'm a little crushed - I guess I was kind of selfishly hoping that the war would just keep going on since I'm neutral, but it's probably a good thing it's ending soon so I don't keep buying in both formats.

Sad day for HD-DVD owners indeed, and very underhanded of Warner to do right after the Holiday Season.
Old 01-04-08, 11:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Now that Time Warner has decided to support Blu-Ray exclusively starting the middle of 2008, I'd like to see the following happen:

1) All new players support the latest Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 spec as soon as possible.
2) Mandatory Dolby TrueHD audio encoding, with optional DTS HD audio encoding.
3) Mandatory VC-1 or AVC video encoding.

I can't wait for the Lord of the Rings movies in Blu-Ray!
Old 01-04-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Well, yes and no. Will HD DVD disappear from store shelves tomorrow? No. Will there be great deals on players and movies over the next few months? Absolutely. Will there be very many new titles released on HD DVD for the 2008 Christmas season? Probably not.

If all a person wants or needs is what's out there now and in the pipeline, then that's great for them. But it would be a mistake to think that there will be a steady stream of new HD DVD titles for the long range future. I really don't think that's going to be the case.
Old 01-05-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My HD DVD player replaced an upconverting DVD player that I had recently bought at Costco. I estimated I paid an additional $10 extra for the player and have bought just a few titles at cheap prices.

I don't plan on buying a Blu Ray player until the prices come down to around $200.

HD is better than DVD, but given the options for On Demand HD programming (including movies) and upconverted DVDs, I have no interest in plucking down $400 or so for a Blu player.

Honestly the PS3 is not an option for me because of the stupid Bluetooth remote. I have a Harmony and don't want to want mess around with a 3rd remote. I'm happy with what I have, and thats it. I honestly don't have time anymore to sit around and watch lot of movies anymore actually.
Old 01-05-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I am a BD fan and i'm not jumping in here just to crap on the HD-DVD crowd but I just have to say that i'm glad that we will be down to 1 format here soon. I hate seeing some of the exclusive titles for HD, just as some of you HD people are probably jealous over a few BD. This is good in the long run.

Just my .02
Old 01-05-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

don't forget...

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner
Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact
that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning
the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long
maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together
to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define
and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite
of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as
other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the
US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other
HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm
in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs
of the consumer.
Old 01-05-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get all my Blu Ray HD's on my Starz HD / Starz HD On Demand

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.