Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Old 01-04-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. that digital bits guy must be lovin' this
2. whoever started the rumor (fact) that WB would go BD... keep postin'!
3. people can stop chanting that Sony formats always fail.
Old 01-04-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The only thing that sucks is the fact many of the Warner releases are missing stuff on BD (or flat never released on BD) so its not as easy as just replacing them all with the BD versions.
When I get around to replacing my A2 it will be with a dual format player. No need to get rid of all of my Warner HD DVDs.

Last edited by darkside; 01-04-08 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
Now everyone who is in the red camp (myself included) needs to rethink their entire buying strategy.
Not really. I haven't bought a SD dvd since I got into HD over a year ago. I'll still buy HD-DVDs until they quit coming out.
Old 01-04-08, 04:23 PM

Starting today I will only buy blu-ray unless it is a HD-DVD exclusive title. Glad I own both.
Old 01-04-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
have to say I am very surprised at this news, and it's timing.

I was really expecting an HD DVD exclusive announcement, and not this soon.

I've been steadily replacing my WB HD DVD's with Blu-Ray's from all the WB BOGO's, but I still wouldn't dream of selling of my A1, A20 and HD DVD's until every movie on HD DVD is available on Blu. And even then, I would likely only replace many of those titles if the PQ was better on Blu (seems unlikely), or both my players broke.

Hell, I'll still be buying day and date HD DVD exclusives until I know for a fact Universal and/or Paramount will be releasing them on Blu. if my HD DVD player has to become my Universal/Paramount/DreamWorks machine, then so be it.
Old 01-04-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank god I don't have to listen to people speculate any more.

My preference is still HD-DVD for its region-free / optional AACS / no BD+ nature, so that's what I'll continue to prefer. Not like the players are going to implode or anything. I still expect to see some good dual-format players to come out to get people through the transition. I would like, because I really dislike using the PS3 as a BD player.

Funny, because my favorite studios seem to be Warner, Universal and Paramount. Looks like that 2 disc BD (OK, 4 discs if you count my wife's discs) collection is going to get a boost this year.

I'm hoping to see some people dumping stuff on ebay. I could use an XA2 or some cheap HD-DVDs.

You guys better start dumping those HD-DVDs fast on ebay and rebuying in BD!

*starts searching ebay for panicked HD-DVD firesales*
Old 01-04-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
This really sucks. I though it was going to go the other way, if any decision was made at all.

The timing is awful with CES starting this weekend.
Old 01-04-08, 04:27 PM
Banned

I own both formats, but even if HD-DVD dies, it's not like my HD-DVD movies will suddenly cease to work the very next day.
Old 01-04-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by young
1. that digital bits guy must be lovin' this
I said it before, but no, he isn't. And I dislike the guy about as much as anyone, but it's only fair to hit him when he's fighting back.

Originally Posted by bill hunt

Blu-ray now has 70% exclusive access to Hollywood studio content. Didn't we say this format war would finally end in 2008? Not a moment too soon as far as we're concerned. Our bet is that Universal and Paramount announce Blu-ray support by mid 2008, if not sooner. No studio is going to want to be the last one holding the bag now.

You sure can't say we didn't tell you this was coming, folks.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
I own both formats, but even if HD-DVD dies, it's not like my HD-DVD movies will suddenly cease to work the very next day.
That's in the next Toshiba firmware update

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ocelot
You know, the hd-dvd camp didn't really do much over the past few months. The biggest news was Paramount going hd-dvd exclusive and even that, it was MS's move. Honestly, all i see is hd-dvd supporters/zealots cheering. Region code this and that, have you even look at the price of the imports? Even then i don't give a damn, why? Well, bunch of you said HD is niche niche market. To me, foreign films are a tinier niche niche within the niche niche.

I agree with the higher cost of BD player and that's that. However, please don't compare the PS3 with the A2...
i'm in new zealand buddy, region codes are a serious issue for me
Old 01-04-08, 04:29 PM

I am not going to get read of my 100 hd but I will not buy anymore unless it is HD-DVD exclusive.
Old 01-04-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
One good thing, this does give MS, Toshiba, and co a few days to think of something huge, to counter this.
Old 01-04-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by young
3. people can stop chanting that Sony formats always fail.
BD at this point is a slightly more successful failure than HD DVD. It certainly isn't a success, yet.
Old 01-04-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my concerns is what will WB support continue to be for the Web-enabled features of their HD-DVDs? It's available for now, but for how long?
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I've been buying dual-format titles on BD for a year now. I still think it will take about 3 years for titles to catch up - Universal won't just dump 200 titles onto the market at once.

I just hope the B1G1 deals continue.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welp, makes no difference to me. I recently got into it and don't have many movies, about 36 between both formats. I will keep my HD-DVDs until the player dies and then I will just grab a player off ebay. By that time I am sure some other format will be out.
Old 01-04-08, 04:32 PM

Warner's decision really surprises me. I envisioned them continuing to support both formats for at least another year. Does this mean the death of HD DVD? Maybe a heart-attack, but I don't think the patient is dead yet.

I'm in the process of building a HTPC, it was to be my method of becoming format neutral...this plan will continue, though I might wait a bit longer before buying the LG dual format drive. The stand-alone BD players are still too expensive for me to buy into.

So I guess at this point it becomes a wait-and-see affair. If prices on software go up because of this, I'll sit out the HDM game, and enjoy what I have right now.
Old 01-04-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What would be funny would be if Disney went HD DVD exclusive.

(No, it won't happen).
Old 01-04-08, 04:35 PM
Banned

i just got back from the caribbean an hour ago.
i had an amazon box at the front door with an A3 and FIFTEEN HD DVDS.
i opened it, set it up, turned on my computer, checked dvdtalk..
AND NOW I'M ABOUT TO KILL MYSELF.

god speed hd dvd, it was fun while it lasted.
now, what to do with my 40ish others?
Old 01-04-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Hmm, do we need a separate "What the f*ck do we do now?" thread, or leave it in here?
Old 01-04-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
One good thing, this does give MS, Toshiba, and co a few days to think of something huge, to counter this.
So what do you think they can come up with in two days? Getting Troma to become an HD-DVD exclusive studio?
Old 01-04-08, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by David Levine
So if WB would've gone HD-DVD exclusive instead would you still be upset because they'd be ditching a lot of other people as customers?
Since your argument makes no sense what so ever I will correct you. If I supported Blu ray right before the Paramount switch I would do the same. If I supported Blu Ray and Paramount ditched me as a customer I would return any unopened Blu Rays.
Old 01-04-08, 04:38 PM

I wonder if all the Amazon BOGOs (both HD-DVD and Blu-ray) have occurred because of competition? I would hate to see all the sales go away because of this announcement. I’ve been buying Blu-rays on these BOGOs when the prices are right for awhile. I won’t get a player until early next week. I’ve had the Toshiba A2 since the Wal-Mart sale.

Hopefully the consumer will not end up with higher disc prices.
Old 01-04-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
Regarding the HP sets, I don't have a problem with the 20 or so HD-DVD's I have, but I purposely didn't get the HP discs, because I want all 7 movies in the same format. I have 1-4 on SD, and will just get by with out 5-6 until the 7 movie set comes out.

Bummer news, but it was gonna go one way or the other. I told the wife I want a PS3 now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.