Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why not entire TV season in regular DVD resolution on 1 HDDVD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 09:11 AM
DB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the popularity of TV seasons on DVD, and the storage space required by having every season take 3-7 DVDs (depending upon the set), I think it would be great to put an entire season on a single HD DVD. The increased cost of the format is balanced by the fewer number of discs/simpler packaging, and the shelf space saving would be enormous -- to say nothing of the convenience of watching all episodes of a single disc. Other than shows where HI Def really adds, like Battlestar Glactica, having the show in DVD resolution would be perfectly fine with me.

I wonder if the studios have considered this option?
Old 01-04-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I'm sure they have, and whichever format wins will likely have this, they'll be like the $1 DVDs they have at Wally World by the registers.
Old 01-04-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDs require a minimum bitrate to be authored properly, wouldn't the same hold true for Blu/HD? If that's the case, I'm not so sure you could do this.
Old 01-04-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I'm sure there are technical reasons, but I've always wondered why this isn't done myself. There are some shows, like "Buffy", that wouldn't necessarily benefit from an HD transfer for the early seasons, which weren't shot with widescreen framing in mind. But I'd love to have all seven seasons on seven discs or so, rather than a huge box set.

I'm sure that would just add one more layer of confusion to the whole mess though.
Old 01-04-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm sure there are technical reasons, but I've always wondered why this isn't done myself. There are some shows, like "Buffy", that wouldn't necessarily benefit from an HD transfer for the early seasons, which weren't shot with widescreen framing in mind. But I'd love to have all seven seasons on seven discs or so, rather than a huge box set.

BtVS was shot on 16mm for its first two seasons and 35mm for the other five. It could benefit from an HD transfer. 16:9 aspect ratio doesn't have anything to do with it.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 01-04-08 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-04-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also remember thatthe masses have been conditioned that more discs=more value. Still I think this is a fantastic idea. The thought of having, say, the entire Robotech series on one or two HD DVDs or BDs is very intriguing to me.
Old 01-04-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
DVDs require a minimum bitrate to be authored properly, wouldn't the same hold true for Blu/HD?
I have several HD DVDs and Blu-ray with feature-length, standard definition extras, so I don't think that'd be a bottleneck.

I do think "high definition" formats with nothing but SD material would wind up confusing a lot of people and would be highly unlikely unless one of these formats makes some major in-roads.
Old 01-04-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I doubt if there are enough potential buyers for them to serisously consider this for shows that have already been out on regular DVD. The majority of people who already bought the DVD's are not going to rebuy just to cut down the number of discs.
And of course there is the potential confusion factor.
If they could sell it for cheaper than the DVD sets, then it might be worthwile.

Last edited by Maxflier; 01-04-08 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-04-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
It won't happen till the format becomes mainstream. Myself, I can't wait for this to happen.
Old 01-04-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

BtVS was shot on 16mm for its first two seasons and 35mm for the other five. It could benefit from an HD transfer. 16:9 aspect ratio doesn't have anything to do with it.
I don't know much about film and transfers (I'm a video guy) and maybe I'm being too simplistic about it, but would the 16mm transfer be at a 4:3 ratio?
Old 01-04-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This would be perfect for shows that, for one reason or another (cost, archival quality) cannot be converted/mastered in HD. Especially if TL HD DVDs come about (or if BD still exists) I can see entire series of some shows on one or two discs. That would be awesome.
Old 01-04-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't know much about film and transfers (I'm a video guy) and maybe I'm being too simplistic about it, but would the 16mm transfer be at a 4:3 ratio?
If that's the OAR (and it is) then yes, it would be. But HD doesn't automatically equal 16:9- that's in the current HD spec, but one look at the Star Trek HD DVD release should tell you 4:3 TV material can be released in HD.
Old 01-04-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe the problem with Buffy is like Firefly, where they only did the special effect shots in SD. I don't watch the show, but I imagine that it is probably less of an issue in Buffy.
Old 01-04-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flashburn
I believe the problem with Buffy is like Firefly, where they only did the special effect shots in SD. I don't watch the show, but I imagine that it is probably less of an issue in Buffy.
True, but that's a totally separate issue.
Old 01-04-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
It won't happen till the format becomes mainstream. Myself, I can't wait for this to happen.
Agree. It would be great, but the format would have to be in wide adoption for them to even consider it.
Old 01-04-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that no one would want them. Those without High Def players couldn't play them, and those with High Def players would want them in High Def. The market looks to be small at this point.
Old 01-04-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You will see downloads before this happens. Yes its a cool idea.

And yes I am still in China for anyone wondering.
Old 01-04-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I think the biggest problem is that no one would want them. Those without High Def players couldn't play them, and those with High Def players would want them in High Def. The market looks to be small at this point.

Agreed. I'm not buying a HD disc to get SD quality on it. THe fact that I end up with a few more DVDs sitting on the shelf isn't a huge issue for me. Though I don't buy TV shows on DVD anymore. Give me HD/BD, or I will just wait.
Old 01-04-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think this is a pretty stupid idea. The whole point of having a high def player is to view hi def content.
Old 01-04-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If that's the OAR (and it is) then yes, it would be. But HD doesn't automatically equal 16:9- that's in the current HD spec, but one look at the Star Trek HD DVD release should tell you 4:3 TV material can be released in HD.
Ah. See, I wasn't aware that's what they did on the Star Trek releases. I'm a Next Generation/DS9 fan