Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Show off your HDM Collection!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I searched and didn't see a previous thread for this.
But I took a picture of mine earlier today (before my Blade Runner arrived! Grr!)

Old 12-24-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Didn't you post a picture of your discs in another thread?
Old 12-24-07, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Yeah, a few weeks ago. We don't have a general thread here.
Old 12-24-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't mind seeing everyone's discs. I also end up finding movies I had missed in threads like this.
I just reshuffled mine with all the new stuff we got this week. Still waiting for my Blade Runner from Amazon, but the rest is up to date.

Edit: Discs were getting kind of cramped so I spread them out a bit. Gave me a place to stash my UMDs for the time being.

Last edited by darkside; 12-24-07 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-24-07, 07:49 PM
Suspended

I want that forbidden planet tin. Looks cool.
Old 12-24-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Hey, at least you got space for your HD DVDs. I don't. Probably will go by Ikea later this week, but damn. I'd never think I'd get so many HD DVDs so quick. I love it. Of course, with these Blade Runner and other types of "Ultimate Editions", I need more display room.
Old 12-24-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-24-07, 09:06 PM

This picture is missing about 10-15 discs including Transformers, LFODH, DAT, Halloween, POTC 1, Eastern Promises, The Kingdom, Cat People, Timecop, Simpsons Movie, POTC 3, Castaway, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Bourne Ultimatum, The Hurricane and Dog Day Afternoon (I'm sure I'm missing others though).

Old 12-25-07, 10:37 AM
Cool New Member

Old 12-25-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Old 12-25-07, 11:06 AM

Comic Bus - That's some pretty cool / unique cover-art on some of your discs. Are they custom? Non-US versions maybe?
Old 12-25-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see a lot of posts on these boards, of people seemingly buying every single new HD/BD release that comes out, & I honestly never believe the people that post like that, but it's good to see some collections & see that it's true, some of you do buy everything (thanks Bob Black for peeing on everyone's parade posting your collection

Here is my meager collection so far, I'm in the middle of moving, this is a temporary spot for them, they aren't on my DVD shelf yet.

I'm also really anal, I can't put an unwatched movie in with my other movies, so these are my "watched" movies (the shrink-wrapped ones, are movies I recently watched somewhere else & don't feel like rewatching any time soon, I had them buried in a box somewhere, I just through them in for this photo). . .

And this is my unwatched pile (hopefully being worked on during the holidays). . .

And of coarse, what I am currently watching every single glorious second of. . .

Old 12-25-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking the same thing of the above posted^.

These titles that are coming out should have spine numbers on them, some of the collectors that i see on the boards tend to buy EVERYTHING. No matter if its a quality film or not.
Old 12-25-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cosmic Bus - I prefer most of BunnyDoJo work over the original MS artwork. Kudos~!
Old 12-25-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 12-25-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
No matter if its a quality film or not.
Slippery slope. I can't buy movies based on your tastes. I can only pick and choose among films I want to watch regardless of the opinions of the masses. I have plenty of highly rated films and most of the classics in HD, but I also enjoy watching the more mindless stuff like Hot Rod and Beer Fest. Bob_Black has a ton of HD DVDs, but I don't see why that is a negative especially on a forum full of DVD collectors.
Old 12-25-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here's most of em.

and Sessa, mine are organized the exact same way as yours (Everything starting with the Heroes box set is unwatched).

The SD-DVDs just for fun:

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 12-25-07 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
96 as of today. Some are at a friends, some in the unwatched pile:

Old 12-25-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I have 15.....which really doesn't require a filing system so much.
Old 12-25-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cosmic Bus, cool to see you have Silent Hill. An excellent HD-DVD.
Old 12-25-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Slippery slope. I can't buy movies based on your tastes. I can only pick and choose among films I want to watch regardless of the opinions of the masses. I have plenty of highly rated films and most of the classics in HD, but I also enjoy watching the more mindless stuff like Hot Rod and Beer Fest. Bob_Black has a ton of HD DVDs, but I don't see why that is a negative especially on a forum full of DVD collectors.

As do I.

But when you see some collections THEY OWN EVERY movie. I am not trying to disregard anyones tastes (even though it does come off as that), but I have a hard time trying to find movies worth getting.

I am not familiar with Bob_Black and dont down play his collection - But owning every movie regardless of quality (i.e; Dragon Wars, Return to House on Haunted Hill, Licence to Wed, Norbit, etc.) is a completist. That is the reason why I said something about putting spine numbers on the titles, like Criterion Collection titles.

Purchasing every HDM title because its HD is like collecting trading cards - you just want a complete set.

But as I've said before in other post - If it makes you happy, collect but this 'set' doesnt end with the end of that trading cards year. These continue to come out weekly, financially its irresponsible.

Unless your Bill Gates.

So I apologize if I've offended anyone... But my opinion is just that. My opinion.
Old 12-25-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As do I.
But when you see some collections THEY OWN EVERY movie. I am not trying to disregard anyones tastes (even though it does come off as that), but I have a hard time trying to find movies worth getting.

Purchasing every HDM title because its HD is like collecting trading cards - you just want a complete set.

But as I've said before in other post - If it makes you happy, collect but this 'set' doesnt end with the end of that trading cards year. These continue to come out weekly, financially its irresponsible.
I completely agree w/ you. Actually the movies you listed (Dragonwars, Haunted Hill) I can at least understand just for the special effects. I just don't get the people that buy HD versions of films like Heartbreak Kid, Chuck & Larry (except for one scene of coarse) etc, do the SD transfers of such dreadful films like this really not suffice or are there people that honestly love Heartbreak Kid & just can't handle a SD version of it? Is watching a SD version of Hot Rod really not good enough? Obviously for a few people posting, money clearly isn't an object, but I guess I just look at it differently. I only buy movies that I will watch more than once, & comedies especially, I just don't need HD transfers of, it's not worth shelling out the money. With the marked up prices of HDs I'm even more picky as to what I buy, I just can't for the life of me see why someone needs to buy every movie in HD.
Old 12-25-07, 04:20 PM

While I personally would agree that buying every HD release would be excessive *for me* as well... I can't agree with the statement that it's financially irresponsible.

I person's disposable income is theirs to use as they see fit. I may only find it worthwhile to buy a few titles I will watch repeatedly, but others may derive just as much happiness from the simple act of collecting and never watching any of them. It's their time and money, what is or is not a worthwhile use of it is purely subjective and a person's own domain.

Last edited by obispo21; 12-25-07 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 05:08 PM

In all seriousness, I can't believe that on an HD board on DVDTalk, as we're about to enter 2008, that there is griping going back and forth about the size of people's collections. Like someone said earlier, this is a major slippery slope.

Sure, I don't myself buy a ton of movies anymore. And with each HD-DVD sale that comes and goes, I just haven't found too many titles I am interested in that I don't already own. But the last thing I'll do is question or judge someone else's buying habits. I find it incredible when people post that they own 1,000 DVDs, 2,000 DVDs, etc. But 99.9999% of the country would think that I am crazy for owning 600 DVDs. And trust me, I hear it all the time, from friends, family, random people coming into my house.

It's very annoying to be on the defensive about a hobby that I happen to enjoy a great deal. So I think we all owe each other that same respect. Otherwise, this is a strange place to be hanging out.
Old 12-25-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrey r
In all seriousness, I can't believe that on an HD board on DVDTalk, as we're about to enter 2008, that there is griping going back and forth about the size of people's collections. Like someone said earlier, this is a major slippery slope.

Sure, I don't myself buy a ton of movies anymore. And with each HD-DVD sale that comes and goes, I just haven't found too many titles I am interested in that I don't already own. But the last thing I'll do is question or judge someone else's buying habits. I find it incredible when people post that they own 1,000 DVDs, 2,000 DVDs, etc. But 99.9999% of the country would think that I am crazy for owning 600 DVDs. And trust me, I hear it all the time, from friends, family, random people coming into my house.

It's very annoying to be on the defensive about a hobby that I happen to enjoy a great deal. So I think we all owe each other that same respect. Otherwise, this is a strange place to be hanging out.

If someone wants to buy every single HD-DVD released why can't they? I've taken my fair share of criticism for wanting to collect every Criterion. It's okay if you buy a ton of movies but not if you want every movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.