Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

New MS/Viacom agreement -- maybe the reason behind Paramount's HD DVD decision?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-20-07, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5225596.story

Apparently, Microsoft and Viacom entered some $500 million partnership. I found it interesting that this follows the Paramount/Dreamworks (owned by Viacom) exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. Wonder if this had something to do with it. Also wondering what will become of this new "partnership". Is MS trying to get some leverage on Sony?

EDIT: Link isn't working now. Here's the text from a post on TeamXbox. Looks like it's actually "non-exclusive" so I don't really understand what this gives MS.

Viacom Inc. and Microsoft Corp. today announced a five-year, $500-million strategic partnership under which Viacom will supply Microsoft with movies, videos and games, and Microsoft will sell advertising for Viacom's Internet sites.

Under the deal, which the companies announced in a joint press release today, Microsoft will license, on a nonexclusive basis, entertainment content from Viacom's MTV Networks, Paramount Pictures movie studios and BET Networks, for use on its MSN website and on its Xbox 360 game system.

Microsoft also will buy advertising on Viacom sites, and the companies will collaborate on promotions and sponsorships for award shows on MTV Networks and BET Networks, they said.

The agreement makes Microsoft the exclusive seller of remnant display advertising - or unsold ad inventory - on Viacom's U.S. websites. Microsoft's Atlas division will become the ad server for Viacom's domestic websites as well, the companies said.

"This landmark alliance brings valuable promotional power and increased monetization to our wide portfolio of branded websites, which collectively represent the leading entertainment presence online," Viacom Chief Executive Philippe Dauman said in a statement. He added, "Microsoft's superior assets and expertise in the ad serving and sales business will drive enhanced value to our digital operations."

Kevin Johnson, president of Microsoft's Platforms and Services division, said: "Viacom's portfolio of original content and strong consumer brand connections are a terrific complement to Microsoft's Web, gaming and digital advertising assets. This deal is another milestone in our quest to build a world-class advertising platform to serve the broad needs of advertisers and publishers. If ever there was a 'win-win' partnership across two companies, this is it."

Last edited by sbelli; 12-20-07 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This has little to do with HD DVD and much more to do with Microsoft getting much more access to a studio and their content for their site(s) and Xbox Live. And getting Microsoft's ad service (in competition with Google and, to a lesser extent, Yahoo) onto major sites.

If this influenced HD DVD at all, we would've seen Lionsgate and Disney go neutral, since movies by both companies are available on Microsoft's service.
Old 12-20-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Speculation -- maybe the reason behind this thread?

Old 12-20-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
in the spirit of speculation, i predict nothing good will come of this thread.
Old 12-20-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Two words: MICHAEL BAY!
Old 12-20-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HD-DVD ≠ Microsoft
Old 12-20-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
HD-DVD ? Microsoft
No, but HD-Dvd = Microft's chance to compete with Sony.
Old 12-20-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
No, but HD-Dvd = Microft's chance to compete with Sony.
I wish Microsoft would focus on Google nipping at their heels rather than try to conquer a field they know nothing about.
Old 12-20-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say this is a big reason similar to why Fox became BD exclusive.
Old 12-20-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I wish Microsoft would focus on Google nipping at their heels rather than try to conquer a field they know nothing about.
I agree 100%. People bitch and moan about other companies, like SONY, being money hungry and not customer oriented but forgive and forget about Microsoft and their monopoly.
Old 12-20-07, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Michael Bay must be furious!
He was right all along
Its Over!
Old 12-21-07, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Michael Bay must be furious!
He was right all along
Its Over!
Why would Bay be furious?

I'd think he'd be smiling.
Old 12-21-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I agree 100%. People bitch and moan about other companies, like SONY, being money hungry and not customer oriented but forgive and forget about Microsoft and their monopoly.
Hmm. I think you need to look up "Monopoly" and figure out how MS fits into that definition. I hate this bullshit.

MS is a greedy corporation, no doubt, but they are no more or less deserving of anyone's love/scorn than any other corporation.
Old 12-21-07, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Good thing Sony didn't take this advice when they took on Sega and Nintendo in a field "they knew nothing about" back in the 90s.

Unfortunately, in the minds of some it is obvious that MS DOES = HD DVD and that means they must hate every move they make because Sony is their binkie.

I HATE when I come off sounding like a schill when just trying to bring back some impartiality to conversations.
Old 12-21-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate microsoft. i hate sony. what is it with people? these are huge multinational corporations who don't care in the slightest what you think or do, so long as it doesn't affect their bottom lines. let go of the hate...
Old 12-21-07, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
i hate microsoft. i hate sony. what is it with people? these are huge multinational corporations who don't care in the slightest what you think or do, so long as it doesn't affect their bottom lines. let go of the hate...
I agree completely.
Old 12-21-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Some people have been screwed over more by one or the other. For instance, Sony has the worst customer support I've ever experienced, and are constantly trying to prepare their own, new proprietary formats, it's annoying. Microsoft is Microsoft, who actually hasn't fucked me over yet outside Word 2003 being a total, unmitigated disaster.. alas I never bought it. And they similarly keep trying for proprietary formats, albeit in codecs rather than media.

So you can guess which way I lean. But siding with one corp over another is pretty weak. That said, MS does a better job of putting a human face to their corporation.

In the end though, I seem to care less and less everyday.
Old 12-21-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate MONOPOLY so much I stopped eatting at McDonald's during the game piece maddness! Damn You, Rich big mustached man with the top hat!