Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has 'Song Remains The Same' Been Delayed?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is skedded for next Tuesday (12/11) release on HDM formats, but Amazon now lists the released date for both as 2010.

Does this indicate that the title is delayed, or is Amazon just being very conservative with Warner titles since several have been unavailable on release day in recent weeks?

It is certainly the finest movie, ever.
Old 12-05-07, 03:41 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by theWitcher
I think this is skedded for next Tuesday (12/11) release on HDM formats, but Amazon now lists the released date for both as 2010.

Does this indicate that the title is delayed, or is Amazon just being very conservative with Warner titles since several have been unavailable on release day in recent weeks?

It is certainly the finest movie, ever.
I just looked at it and it does say Dec 2010. Yet I had it preordered for over a month now. It hasn't shipped but it says delievery estimate Dec 13. I don't know whats going on. If it is truly delayed til 2010, I'll probably just cancel my order and make do with the SD 2-disc. We'll see.

I hope Blade Runner is screwed up like this.
Old 12-05-07, 03:45 PM
Banned

DVD Empire shows it as indeed arriving on Dec. 11.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...=61&site_id=68
Old 12-06-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Spider-Man
I just looked at it and it does say Dec 2010. Yet I had it preordered for over a month now. It hasn't shipped but it says delievery estimate Dec 13. I don't know whats going on. If it is truly delayed til 2010, I'll probably just cancel my order and make do with the SD 2-disc. We'll see.

I hope Blade Runner is screwed up like this.
you do?
Old 12-07-07, 09:47 PM
Cool New Member

I mean isn't screwed up. oops. Can't wait for Blade Runner!
Old 12-11-07, 08:19 AM

I picked it up on Blu-ray & HD-DVD last night from DVD Empire and they both shipped this morning. As of the time of this posting, the DVD Empire site shows the HD version as being on order, while the BD version ships immediately. If you're on the fence, I say jump right now because the source of the delay is rumored to be a rights issue regarding the inclusion of some news footage, which could cause a significant delay if the footage ends up needing to be removed.
Old 12-11-07, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cb4774
I picked it up on Blu-ray & HD-DVD last night from DVD Empire and they both shipped this morning. As of the time of this posting, the DVD Empire site shows the HD version as being on order, while the BD version ships immediately. If you're on the fence, I say jump right now because the source of the delay is rumored to be a rights issue regarding the inclusion of some news footage, which could cause a significant delay if the footage ends up needing to be removed.
Presumably these rights issues will also impact the DVD version? (FWIW, Amazon lists the regular SD-DVD version as being in stock next Thurs.)

I swore to my wife that I wouldn't buy anything off my Amazon wish list...
Old 12-11-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just cancelled my Amazon order & got it from DvdEmpire also. Wouldn't they have known of rights issues by now? The regular dvd came out last month. Anyone know if the extra songs are the same as the ones on that 2-disc concert set from a few years back (just called Led Zeppelin I think, had a great acoustic set on disc 2)?
Old 12-11-07, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by El Kabong
I just cancelled my Amazon order & got it from DvdEmpire also. Wouldn't they have known of rights issues by now?
You would think so, but I seem to recall a similar issue with the SD-DVD release of Ed Wood a few years back. At the last minute (I believe a week prior to release), the disc was pulled do to some sort of copyright issue and it ended up being delayed for several months...in that instance I picked up a leaked copy on eBay for like $40.
Old 12-11-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but it's been out since last month on dvd & it hasn't been pulled at all. And I was just in time. The Bluray version is "on order" now at DvdEmpire as well, but mine already shipped.
Old 12-11-07, 03:01 PM

I just saw a BD copy at Bull Moose Music in Portsmouth, NH. $19.95.
Old 12-11-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's definitely been postponed until next year. I'm sure glad I switched my order before they were gone. Here's a link to the story.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...(UPDATED)/1252
Old 12-12-07, 08:16 AM

I placed an order yesterday for the HD-DVD at barnesandnoble.com, and it shipped already and is out for delivery today. It came to under $22 shipped after membership and coupon discounts using one of the coupons in the Bargains thread.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...AN=85391157120

Last edited by jeffrey r; 12-12-07 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-13-07, 03:25 PM
Cool New Member

I canceled my amazon HD order and picked up the standard def. one at Wal-Mart.
Old 12-15-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I'm watching the Bluray and I may know why it was postponed. During the drum solo of Moby Dick, around 1:41:15 into the movie, the sound goes out for a few seconds. And again for a split second a minute later. I think it may be something wrong with it because the bitrate dropped from around 2MBps to 800kb when the sound went out, and went back up when it returned. So I think it's actually missing from that part, and not something on the disc. A smudge, etc. wouldn't make the bitrate drop out, would it? Or if it would, it would have effected the video as well. So how to replace a disc that's not supposed to be out?
Old 12-15-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now I know why the dvd wasn't effected. The error is only on the TrueHD track. I popped out the disc to check it & replayed that section a few times & it always goes out at 1:40:44 for 8 seconds. The regular 5.1 track is fine at that part, it's only the TrueHD track. If I keep it until the fixed one is out, it will probably be past 90 days, and if I return it now, they won't have a replacement.
Old 12-15-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
sell on ebay as a collectors item, rare not available item.

bet you get more then you paid for it.
Old 12-15-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I jumped on this and it's apparently on the way. I hope there's some replacement plan for those of us who get copies of what's out there.
Old 12-15-07, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the find OP

-1.45 Walgreens employee discount
-7.25 for coupon code
-1.24 Barnes & Noble Credit Card discount
+Tax & Shipping
= 23.54 to my door

thanks OP!
Old 12-15-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
BTW, the BD is still available at Buy.com for less. I would have ordered from there, but I didn't know they had it.

They don't have the HD DVD, but they have that listed with an amusing pre-order release date of 1/1/2037.
Old 12-15-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For people who have a Borders nearby, you can most likely snag one there. I was able to pick one up and use the 30% coupon. $21.96 out the door isn't bad for instant gratification.
Old 12-16-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone else listened to the TrueHD track yet? Just wondering if anyone else's audio cut out where mine did.
Old 12-18-07, 04:01 PM

Received my HD copy from B&N.com today, I have not put it in yet but I will report back when I watch.
Old 12-18-07, 06:49 PM

I can confirm the TrueHD audio drops on BD

Originally Posted by El Kabong
Now I know why the dvd wasn't effected. The error is only on the TrueHD track. I popped out the disc to check it & replayed that section a few times & it always goes out at 1:40:44 for 8 seconds. The regular 5.1 track is fine at that part, it's only the TrueHD track. If I keep it until the fixed one is out, it will probably be past 90 days, and if I return it now, they won't have a replacement.
I can confirm the TrueHD audio/bitrate drop at 1:40:44 (Moby Dick drum solo) of the BD version. It actually has another audio/bitrate drop approximately 1 minute later for 1 second. The 2-Ch and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio do not have these glitches.

It is also mentioned/confirmed by "krammer" on different forum: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...remains&page=3
On the other forum, "Sporadic" claims that the HD-DVD version does not have this audio drop.