Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are these sales going to be standard or they are just temporary to hook people in?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Are these sales going to be standard or they are just temporary to hook people in?

Old 12-07-07, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very easy to get HD-DVD and BD for $10, $13.30, or $15.00. Are these prices to hook people in and then they'll go back to $15.00-$30.00 or do you think these sales will happen every so often for the life of the format?
Old 12-07-07, 05:59 AM

I don't know about BLU RAY but I think HD DVD is going to remain the same price. As of right now its a MAJOR selling point for HD DVD.

People talk about this bullsh*t "war" as if the studios really give a damn about a war. People don't seem to realize that all the studios want to do is make as much money as possible in either case. The majority of them are choosing BLU RAY not because its this "superior, greatest of great formats" despite what they claim but because there are 5-6 million "potential" BLU RAY software/disc buyers as a result of PS3 sales. They know HALF the people didn't buy a PS3 for the BLU RAY function but they see ALL of them as potential software/disc buyers.

Having said that, people also don't realize that each PS3 sale equals a "potential" BLU RAY user or buyer to studios. They are ALWAYS going to go with the larger user base. When HD DVD has a larger or equal to "installed" user base which Toshiba is trying to accomplish by offering third party players, $99 dollar players ect ect... Studios or to be more specific, movies WILL follow. They'll have no choice because the demand will be there.

So to answer your question I believe the players will sale low for the holidays which will allow them to expand that base. The price will increase momentarily only to mellow out for good around March/April 08. Software sales I think will be driven I "personally" think by the popularity of whatever particular movie. For example if a film did excellent in theaters the price on HD will be $30+... if it bombed 14.99... Everything else in between

Then again its 5am... Im just getting off of work, so I could be wrong

Last edited by GeorgiaBlakk; 12-07-07 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-07-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at the prices of DVDs now. The same thing will happen with BD and HD DVD. Older titles will get dropped in price as the formats mature. Seems to be the same pattern as DVD to me. I would expect more and more cheap HD discs as time goes by.
Old 12-07-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBlakk
I don't know about BLU RAY but I think HD DVD is going to remain the same price. As of right now its a MAJOR selling point for HD DVD.

People talk about this bullsh*t "war" as if the studios really give a damn about a war. People don't seem to realize that all the studios want to do is make as much money as possible in either case. The majority of them are choosing BLU RAY not because its this "superior, greatest of great formats" despite what they claim but because there are 5-6 million "potential" BLU RAY software/disc buyers as a result of PS3 sales. They know HALF the people didn't buy a PS3 for the BLU RAY function but they see ALL of them as potential software/disc buyers.

Having said that, people also don't realize that each PS3 sale equals a "potential" BLU RAY user or buyer to studios. They are ALWAYS going to go with the larger user base. When HD DVD has a larger or equal to "installed" user base which Toshiba is trying to accomplish by offering third party players, $99 dollar players ect ect... Studios or to be more specific, movies WILL follow. They'll have no choice because the demand will be there.

So to answer your question I believe the players will sale low for the holidays which will allow them to expand that base. The price will increase momentarily only to mellow out for good around March/April 08. Software sales I think will be driven I "personally" think by the popularity of whatever particular movie. For example if a film did excellent in theaters the price on HD will be $30+... if it bombed 14.99... Everything else in between

Then again its 5am... Im just getting off of work, so I could be wrong
I don't know what "selling point" you are talking about when lately all we have seen are Buy 1 get 1 free for Blu-Ray. If HD-Dvd really wants to ketchup then they need to offer more of these type sales to stay on par with the Blu-Ray sales. If not then my Blu-Ray shelf is going to become shelves while my HD-Dvd shelf will remain somewhat bare.
Old 12-07-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always saw the B1G1 deals that Bluray has been having as a way of rubbing it in HDDVDs face, and it's a tactic I wish HD-DVD would follow.

And where are you getting $10 - $15 HD-DVDs? Save for a handful of titles after coupon on Warner's site, I can't find any that cheap anywhere.
Old 12-07-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBlakk
BD is whooping HD DVD s ass in media pricing. HD DVD needs to follow suit or the yare in trouble.

People don't realize that each PS3 sale equals a "potential" BLU RAY user or buyer to studios. They are ALWAYS going to go with the larger user base. When HD DVD has a larger or equal to "installed" user base which Toshiba is trying to accomplish by offering third party players, $99 dollar players ect ect... Studios or to be more specific, movies WILL follow. They'll have no choice because the demand will be there.
The only problem with having the bulk of the players be the PS3 comes when (if?) the VG software starts a steady flow, and the PS3 buyers start buying games and stop buying BDs. If BD becomes the "PS3 format" like UMD became the "PSP format," the format may be in trouble if the users move on to games in lieu of movies. When PSP came out, UMDs did very well, mostly because there wasn't much compelling VG software. Now UMD is being clearanced, and is seen as a dead format.

I am not saying this is BD's future, but it is a possible future. It is not as easy as saying studios "will go with the larger user base."

If this were true, why has the only major shift in support been towards HD DVD, away from BD if installed base is all that matters?

Too much over-simplification.

I think that after the new year, we'll see HD DVD start to match some of the deals like BD has, and we'll see less of the BD deals we're seeing.

As of now however, BD is owning this holiday season as far as media prices, hands down.
Old 12-07-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I always saw the B1G1 deals that Bluray has been having as a way of rubbing it in HDDVDs face, and it's a tactic I wish HD-DVD would follow.
From an accounting perspective, they are brilliant. Both discs count as units sold. Essentially, they are cutting software prices in half, without actually cutting them. They can go back to normal pricing any time they want.
Old 12-07-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to give Blu-ray props. I own both formats and have leaned towards HD-DVD but I gotta give it up to Blu-ray as they seem to want to win more. Disney is up there with Warner as the 2 best studios. IMO, HD-DVD has better movies so with all these B1G1 sales a lot of people are buying movies they wouldn't normally buy but that's how we got hooked on DVDs.

Having said all that, if Blu-ray wins the format war I'd expect absolutely no more sales and every disc at the $39.95 MSRP.
Old 12-07-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I meant was, Amazon has been having BOGO sales on $20 discs ($10 each), Warner had $15 DVDs ($20 - 25% off), Frys had $13 DVDs. Does anyone see sales like these continuing?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-07-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think only time will tell. Right now, BD is being very aggressive to get the PR edge on HD DVD (We sell three times more discs!). This is very important at this stage in the war. Since Paramount is HD exclusive for at least another year, I can see this going on at least through 2008. But who knows...............
Old 12-07-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
If HD-Dvd really wants to ketchup then they need to offer more of these type sales to stay on par with the Blu-Ray sales.
I think it's spelled "catsup".
Old 12-07-07, 12:15 PM

If one format emerges next year, the sales might cool off. But I think they'll return since there's still the competition from DVD (standard DVD that is). I'm not paying $20 for a catalog title that is $5 on DVD. Or $30 for a new release that is $15 on DVD.
Old 12-07-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope they continue to the point where we see loss leader pricing in B&M stores for these.

I'd also like to see some overall price reductions. Despite the sales, the MSRPs haven't actually gone down. Even the first discs are the same price they were a year and a half ago. It seems strange that titles like Firewall and Rumor Has It are still $40 MSRP. They really should lower them to catalog pricing after six months.
Old 12-07-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I think only time will tell. Right now, BD is being very aggressive to get the PR edge on HD DVD (We sell three times more discs!). This is very important at this stage in the war. Since Paramount is HD exclusive for at least another year, I can see this going on at least through 2008. But who knows...............
No doubt good press is a big reason for the BOGO's. But I also think it greatly builds format loyalty, especially for those like me who support both BD & HD DVD. If you look at your collection & see that you have a lot more BDs than HD DVDs (in good part thanks to the sales), I think you will be more naturally inclined to support BD with future purchases. All-in-all, I think it's brilliant strategy.
Old 12-07-07, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Well, because if these sales, it dramatically lowers what I am willing to spend on a title.
Old 12-07-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2

And where are you getting $10 - $15 HD-DVDs? Save for a handful of titles after coupon on Warner's site, I can't find any that cheap anywhere.
Totally agree, every bargain thread for HD stuff is all BR. Come on HD-DVD, you can't just sell the players cheap, the software has to follow suit!
Old 12-07-07, 05:40 PM

I think the B1G1 sales will end as soon as the format war ends.

But I also think that prices of catalog titles will drop after they've been on the shelves for a couple months. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $19.95 MSRP price drop for catalog titles.