DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Samsung BD-UP5000 dual format player shipping. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/519388-samsung-bd-up5000-dual-format-player-shipping.html)

Kocheese99 12-06-07 10:53 PM

Samsung BD-UP5000 dual format player shipping.

Just saw this on some of the other boards. The most interesting part is that they dropped the msrp again down to $799. I was interested before but now I'm definately in as long as some reviews are good.

Best parts are that it is profile 1.0 or whatever it's called and has enough memory for 2.0 apparently, reon processor, and 7.1 analog outs.

Now if amazon knocks 20% and offers some movies with it this thing will sell like hot cakes.

Gizmo 12-06-07 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
Just saw this on some of the other boards. The most interesting part is that they dropped the msrp again down to $799. I was interested before but now I'm definately in as long as some reviews are good.

Best parts are that it is profile 1.0 or whatever it's called and has enough memory for 2.0 apparently, reon processor, and 7.1 analog outs.

Now if amazon knocks 20% and offers some movies with it this thing will sell like hot cakes.

Its only been confirmed to be upgradeable to 1.1, not 2.0 (yet).

Kocheese99 12-06-07 11:01 PM

Yea unfortunately 2.0 is pretty much vapor ware right now as no machine has it. I guess companies are just kinda guessing at how much space they'll need to use it.

Supermallet 12-06-07 11:43 PM

I want this machine, but all the reports I'm hearing of the latest Samsung BD player having trouble with various discs makes me wary.

Zodiac_Speaking 12-07-07 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I want this machine, but all the reports I'm hearing of the latest Samsung BD player having trouble with various discs makes me wary.

Me 2 and I got sick of waiting so I bought a blu.

Hopefully, this takes off. That dual LG model sucked.

insanecollector 12-16-07 06:40 AM

CC has this for preorder with Christmas day being the release date. It is for $799.99. I just went blu-ray this month so I am thinking of returning my panasonic and just keeping this.

Where can I get reviews of this machine?

Vipper II 12-16-07 09:14 AM

Based on my experience with the BD-P1000 and the numerous reports of how much trouble people are having with the newer generation Samsung players, I'll never buy another HDM player from them.

Jay G. 12-16-07 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by insanecollector
Where can I get reviews of this machine?

I don't think there's any reviews of the final production model of this machine, but here's some reviews of pre-production prototypes some sites got their hands on:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/grope/282569.php
http://hdguru.com/?p=184
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...bd-up5000.html

notabadname 12-24-07 05:27 PM

This player will not be upgradeable to 2.0. That spec requires 1 Gb of on-board memory. The BD-UP5000 will have 256 Mb memory, which meets the 1.1 standard. By having ethernet, this player does have every other requirement for 2.0, but the memory means it will never be 2.0. This is one of the downsides of BD format. A constantly moving target to make even this high-end player 2nd tier eventually. Way to build consumer confidence.

The 3 profiles below and then the requirements in order left to right.

BD-Video (Grace Period Profile – Profile 1.0)

Bonus View (Final Standard Profile – Profile 1.1)

BD-Live (Profile 2)

1.0 1.1 2.0

Built-in persistent memory 64 KB 64 KB 64 KB
Local storage capability[a] – 256 MB 1 GB
Secondary video decoder (PiP) Optional Mandatory Mandatory
Secondary audio decoder[b] Optional Mandatory Mandatory
Virtual file system Optional Mandatory Mandatory
Internet connection capability No No Mandatory

Gizmo 12-24-07 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by notabadname
This player will not be upgradeable to 2.0. That spec requires 1 Gb of on-board memory. The BD-UP5000 will have 256 Mb memory, which meets the 1.1 standard. By having ethernet, this player does have every other requirement for 2.0, but the memory means it will never be 2.0. This is one of the downsides of BD format. A constantly moving target to make even this high-end player 2nd tier eventually. Way to build consumer confidence.

The 3 profiles below and then the requirements in order left to right.

BD-Video (Grace Period Profile – Profile 1.0)

Bonus View (Final Standard Profile – Profile 1.1)

BD-Live (Profile 2)

1.0 1.1 2.0

Built-in persistent memory 64 KB 64 KB 64 KB
Local storage capability[a] – 256 MB 1 GB
Secondary video decoder (PiP) Optional Mandatory Mandatory
Secondary audio decoder[b] Optional Mandatory Mandatory
Virtual file system Optional Mandatory Mandatory
Internet connection capability No No Mandatory

IIRC, the ethernet only works for HD DVD titles and firmware updates (though Samsung). It will not work with Blu-ray movies that require it. Same with some of the Profile 1.0 players that have an ethernet port. Its firmware updates only. Again, this is IIRC, as I read this before but wouldn't be able to prove it right now. I'm sure someone else can chime in, or we can see in a few weeks when Saw IV comes out.

Drexl 12-24-07 05:55 PM

Is that memory required RAM or storage? Since they call it "local storage" could that be hard drive space or a USB flash drive?

Gizmo 12-24-07 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Is that memory required RAM or storage? Since they call it "local storage" could that be hard drive space or a USB flash drive?

IIRC, the A1 actually has a 256MB flash drive inside of it. There are some pictures/articles floating out there. I wonder if it could be upgraded on this unit?

notabadname 12-24-07 06:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification "GizmoDVD". I wonder if that use of the built-in ethernet is something that could be upgradeable with a future firmware update?

I will get this or the LG BH-200. I own about 10 HD-DVDs and 20 Blu-rays, and the collection grows by at least 2 a week. So I support both formats. I just wish they would come out with the "homerun" player that is BD 2.0 and HD-DVD with full Audio support. It seems that the Samsung is the better choice for Audio, but I have read second hand that the BH-200 will be upgradeable to 2.0 but can't find any info about on-board memory for the BH-200, and LG only mentions 1.1 compatability. I would think that it it had the ability to support 2.0 in the future they would certainly market it as such.