DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Should I bother with a 720p 42" LCD-TV? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/519140-should-i-bother-720p-42-lcd-tv.html)

Yavin 12-04-07 02:30 PM

Should I bother with a 720p 42" LCD-TV?

I'm looking into upgrading to a LCD flat panel. Initially, I was intrigued by Toshiba's entry level 32" model, because it was on sale. Then after seeing the 32" REGZA I got interested in that one instead. But now I am thinking that I may as well go with a larger screen (since this is for the living room).

I'm now considering Toshiba's entry level 42" model. Only thing is that it's only 720p (not 1080p) and it's got a 10-bit processor (not a 14-bit, as their REGZA series has). On sale I can get it for $999 (CAD).

Otherwise, this LCD looks pretty good to me. But is the difference between 720p and 1080p on a television this size really noticeable? I do plan on getting an HD cable box and HD channels to watch on it (which I understand are all 720p at the moment). But for movies (upconverting SD-DVD and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray), is there going to be a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p?

Also, the 10-bit processor that this particular model carries, how much worse is it than the 14-bit processor? I compared the picture quality of the entry level 32" Toshiba (10-bit) with the REGZA 32" (14-bit) at Best Buy, and to me the REGZA seemed to have better PQ, but probably it's due to tweaking by the store to get me to invest more $$$ ...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RichC2 12-04-07 02:36 PM

If you plan on using it as a monitor - 1080p, big difference.

If you plan on using it to watch TV/Movies/Videogames - 720 is just fine.

MBoyd 12-04-07 02:36 PM

I saw a Westinghouse 1080P for the same price at Best Buy today in 42". I don't know how good it is, but if that's your budget maybe you should read some reviews on it.

Mr. Cinema 12-04-07 02:39 PM

The US model, 42" HL67 is very highly rated. I believe Consumer Reports had it as a "best buy" during their product review. The 40" Sony LCDs are also highly rated. They look the best to my eyes.

mmconhea 12-04-07 02:54 PM

I just bought the 32" Regza and the 42" was one I was considering. 1080p was not worth the jump at that size... (also I feel 1080p on a LCD is worthless due to refresh issues of the LCD technology anyways- that extra detail will be blurred out during times of fast motion.) - unless, as someone above stated, you plan on using primarily as a monitor- then yeah go with the 1080

The Toshiba Regza is an excellent buy and you can't go wrong with it. But in comparison to my Sammy DLP, LCD has a long way to go with refrsh rates and managing the resolution it has (even at 720p)

Yavin 12-04-07 03:05 PM

Hmm, so then I guess at that size (42") the difference between 720p and 1080p will be neglible, as I am only going to be using it for watching tv and movies.

I guess it will be able to display at 1080i in any case? If I plan on picking up the Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player will I be able to view movies in 1080i?

And what about the processor power? This model I'm looking at only has a 10-bit video processor, but the Regza line has a 14-bit video processor.

bunkaroo 12-04-07 03:14 PM

FYI, there are some seriously negative things at AVS about the Regza line, and I believe the 42HL67 was mentioned specifically. IIRC some people were even looking to form a class action against Toshiba for an inherent issue with the line.

I know the AVS high-def forums are a tragic joke, but the other parts of the forum are quite helpful.

Mr. Cinema 12-04-07 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
FYI, there are some seriously negative things at AVS about the Regza line, and I believe the 42HL67 was mentioned specifically. IIRC some people were even looking to form a class action against Toshiba for an inherent issue with the line.

I know the AVS high-def forums are a tragic joke, but the other parts of the forum are quite helpful.

That was mostly for the HL167, which is their 1080p model. Many of those had the "Green Push" effect. I don't think the 720p models were affected.

bunkaroo 12-04-07 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
That was mostly for the HL167, which is their 1080p model. Many of those had the "Green Push" effect. I don't think the 720p models were affected.

OK, that sounds more familiar. Someone I know was looking at the 1080p version and I was doing research for them. I forgot about the "1".

Mr. Cinema 12-04-07 04:45 PM

OK, that sounds more familiar. Someone I know was looking at the 1080p version and I was doing research for them. I forgot about the "1".

I've noticed on several occasions that Circuit City's website has sold the 720p and 1080p at the same price of $1199. I never see the 1080p model of any brand sell for the same as the 720p, but I'm wondering if that problem with the HL167 has anything to do with their pricing.

I've been jumping back and forth on whether or not to get a 50" tv. Given my living room area, a 42" should be big enough. And if I decide to go larger later on, 42" would be a nice bedroom tv. So I am likely down to the HL67 Toshiba and the 40" Sony KDL40S3000, which gets rave reviews. The pic quality on that unit is supposed to be outstanding. I like Sony sets so I may lean towards that one.

mmconhea 12-04-07 10:30 PM

The folks on the that forum will find something seriosuly negative with every TV.

Yavin, the 720p will take a 1080 signal and convert it to 720p- you will not be able to tell the difference.
The processor does help... and after calibration I get some phenominal colors (I can share with you my settings). Also the 32" has 5ms response time, while I think the other one has 8ms.
The fact of the matter is that size you will not be able to tell 720 from 1080 watching movies and TV (with LCD, I think 1080p is a waste anyways unles you get one that can offset blurring/ghosting with super fast refresh rates- top of the line- or are using it as a monitor)

But it's up to you... don't let a processor make you buy the lesser model and then end up regretting not getting the bigger set if big is what you want. And if you don't want big, then don't get it just because it's a few hundred more.

PS...There's a 12% coupon going around for best buy that will knock some off either TV. If you can't find that 12% one, then use this: http://pulverizer72.com/scans/bbcoupon.pdf

bunkaroo 12-05-07 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
The folks on the that forum will find something seriosuly negative with every TV.

That may be true, but the negative chatter on the 42HL167 was unusually high.

I have a Sammy DLP 6188 DLP which I love, but I could instantly name three things I'd like to be better. None of them would keep me from buying the display.

But dozens of people reporting the same issue definitely gives one pause about a piece of gear.

Yavin 12-05-07 08:38 AM

Hey all, thanks for all the advice! I think I'll try and go for the Toshiba 42HL57, since the difference between 720p and 1080p is negligible on that size screen and I don't plan to use it as a monitor.

Now I just want to make sure of something else ... the tv is going to go on top of an entertainment center that currently has a 26" tube tv resting on it. The Toshiba site says that this flat panel weights in at about 60 lbs. Logically, I would assume that this is still much lighter than what a 26" tube tv weighs (don't want the entertainment center to come crashing down from too much weight), but I just wanted to make sure ...

mmconhea 12-05-07 12:05 PM

much lighter

trubiet 12-05-07 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I saw a Westinghouse 1080P for the same price at Best Buy today in 42". I don't know how good it is, but if that's your budget maybe you should read some reviews on it.

I would not sacrifice the quality of a Westinghouse over a Toshiba. 720p still looks beautiful!

Yavin 12-07-07 08:54 AM

Because of this week's sale prices, I'm now considering the 40" Samsung LNT4042H LCD-HDTV. Does anyone have any insight as to how this stacks up against the 42" Toshiba 42HL57 model?

Both are entry level televisions, but does Samsung make better quality LCD TVs? Also, I've read that the 40" Samsung has an issue with the volume randomly muting. Is this still an issue?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SoSpacey 12-07-07 09:27 AM

generally speaking, samsung is a more recognized LCD manufacturer.

when speaking of LCDs, people point to the 3 Ss (Sharp, Sony, Samsung) ans the top 3 manufacturers.

but that is generally speaking. sometimes some models can swing either way.

kefrank 12-07-07 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

i agree, the issues noted are with the 1080p models, not the 720p ones. the HL67 thread over at AVS gives generally high praise to the whole line of 720p displays. i've just read through most of it recently, as i'm considering the 37HL67 for the bedroom.

Yavin 12-07-07 02:12 PM

Well, I just bought the Samsung LNT4042H 40" LCD HDTV. Cost me $999 CAD, after some negotiating with the sales guy. Had to buy into the extended warranty and a Monster cable package to get that price, but I don't have to keep those.

So did I get a good deal? They're delivering it on Sunday. Also get 1 year free of HD cable box rental and HD channels.

I'm looking forward to hooking it up to that Toshiba A-3 I bought the other day and enjoying some HD-DVDs!

TomOpus 12-07-07 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Both are entry level televisions, but does Samsung make better quality LCD TVs?

I was gonna mentioned this Samsung but looks like it's too late since you've bought a TV already.

Yavin 12-10-07 08:35 AM

Actually, I ended up refunding the TV on Saturday (the 40" size was a bit too large to be practical). They tried to push the 37" Samsung LNT3753 on me for the same price $999 (telling me I was getting the lowest price in North America and that it was a better set and all). But I couldn't really find much reviews on that set (I actually found a lot of reviews that mentioned various Samsung LCDs that had issues with the sound randomly muting).

Long story short, I didn't take that tv either, but I ended up buying the Toshiba 37" 720p Regza at Best Buy yesterday instead. $959 before taxes. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase and will be hooking everything up hopefully this weekend.

shaun3000 12-11-07 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mmconhea

I don't know, the mood about this TV seems to be generally very positive. And I got mine (non-Ambilight) for $768!

OK, I just wanted to brag. I think your comment is pretty accurate.

Mr. Cinema 04-11-08 12:15 PM

well, I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll post in this one. After MONTHS AND MONTHS of research, I finally upgraded my tv today. I had been using a 30" Sony 16:9 CRT for 2 years now. Great picture, but I was ready for a flat panel and something a little larger.

So I decided on the brand new 2008 40" Samsung 1080p LCD. It's the LN40A550 model. 3 HDMI, 5ms response time, and a nice 30,000:1 contrast ratio.

But it's currently sitting on my dining room table because my Sony, which weighs a whopping 160 lbs, is still residing in my HT. I'll be looking for a new smaller stand today and will have this baby hooked up tonight. It's a snazzy looking tv.

The way my living room is set up, a 40" tv should be just fine for now. When I do decide to go larger, this will make a terrific bedroom tv.

beebs 04-11-08 01:28 PM

I think for 42", 720P is fine. I have a 1080P 42" but I sit very close to the screen (5-6') and I think I could have been happy with a 720P.

-beebs

steebo777 04-11-08 02:17 PM

You don't notice the benefits of 1080p res until about 6-7' away from a 42", so you're right beebs.