Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reminder- Final month to get Amazon 10% off Hi-Def titles!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-02-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a friendly reminder for those of us that have the 10% off HD and Blu-ray titles that the offer ends at the end of December. We've had some pretty good sales over the last few months which were even better with the discount. So remember to stock up on the ones you want and get your pre-orders in before the end of the year!
Old 12-02-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll just be glad to stop reading "how did you get 10% off" every other post and reading the response as to why they get an additional 10%
Old 12-02-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are we sure they wont extend? It was only supposed to be thru 2006.
Old 12-02-07, 08:28 PM

I'll be glad to keep hearing everyone quote the 10% off price as if it was available to everyone.
Old 12-02-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Amazon was smart they would let people "renew" the promotion by once again buying 3 HDM discs on the same order to qualify.

I'll be switching to getting most of my titles at Fry's if they don't extend the discount.
Old 12-02-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will really miss this discount. There are no Fry's in my area and Amazon before the 10% off will probably still be cheaper than local stores .
Old 12-02-07, 09:11 PM

Personally I was just amazed at the BOGO sale and how the 10% off was applied to that. If the good times are gone. well . . . I guess I will be more discriminating of my purchases.
Old 12-02-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I haven't heard anything that would lead me to think they will extend. I just wanted people to be aware that it may end at the end of the year. Just don't come crying to me on January 1st!
Old 12-02-07, 11:20 PM

I hope they do extend it. It's a big reason I'm approaching 400 HD-DVD/Blu-ray titles purchased since July '06.
Old 12-03-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been mentioned in other threads, but I thought it's worth mentioning here.

Right now the 10% still comes off orders that will ship after December 31st. So if the discounts stick, at least the majority of January and February pre-orders placed before the end of the month will still get the discount.
Old 12-03-07, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope it ends. I'm so jealous of you guys!
Old 12-03-07, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If Amazon was smart they would let people "renew" the promotion by once again buying 3 HDM discs on the same order to qualify.
I agree with this. I will miss the promotion if they drop it but it would be nice of them to offer it again for new customers in these formats.
Old 12-03-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What pre-orders are you guys trying to squeeze in?

I was looking at 3:10 to Yuma and Zodiac, but really can't justify $50 for 2 flicks considering all the sales we've seen recently. Superbad is in the same boat, unfortunately.
Old 12-03-07, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
What pre-orders are you guys trying to squeeze in?
I preordered The Rock, The Pianist, and Zodiac. Those all come out on 1/8. I'll also place an order for Life of Brian if I can find another title for the free shipping.
Old 12-03-07, 08:11 PM
Banned

My latest preorder is Wall Street on Blu-ray which won't be released till February.

I'm preordering everything and will cancel the items later if I decide not to buy them.
Old 12-03-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Qualifying for the promotion was only available in 2006 but the original offer was supposed to last a year from the time that one made the purchase. Amazon then simplified and extended the offer by changing it to the end of 2007 for everyone, regardless of when they qualified for it.

I doubt that they would extend the offer because it was intended for early adopters in order to jump-start disc purchases. I think we forget just how lonely it was buying High Def discs in 2006 (or posting in the HD forum, for that matter!). I would guess that Amazon makes little or no money off orders that include the 10% off, especially in the case of those Blu-ray BOGOF sales. The promotion has served its purpose, a lot of us automatically think "Amazon" when considering disc purchases.

I'm reluctant to make purchases of day and date releases regardless of the 10% discount because experience has shown that the discs will be a lot cheaper in a few months. So, barring another BOGOF type deal, I doubt that I will order anything more this year. But I'll be sorry to see the 10% off deal expire.
Old 12-03-07, 11:12 PM

I agree on both counts.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'll just be glad to stop reading "how did you get 10% off" every other post and reading the response as to why they get an additional 10%
I'll be glad to keep hearing everyone quote the 10% off price as if it was available to everyone.
Old 12-09-07, 02:25 AM
Banned by request

I did one last spree to take advantage of my beloved 10%. I ordered 20 Million Miles To Earth, Hot Rod, Anchorman, Cars, and Rescue Dawn. I'm gonna miss ya, discount.
Old 12-09-07, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still hoping for a last-minute extension just like last year!
Old 12-09-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't have ordered 3/4 of the titles I did in this latest B1G1 Bd sale, if it wasn't for that extra 10% off. It turned a good deal on titles I wasn't really interested in, into a "wow" deal I would have felt stupid for passing up.

But I don't see them extending it any further- tho if sales slow markedly in the next two quarters, they may offer some kind of a new promo incentive.

As far as pre-ordering- I wish there was something coming up I was at all interested in. Unfortunately there isn't. And what little does pique my interest (like Bonnie & Clyde) I would only consider picking up during another killer sale.

I may place one small order on the 29th, but it looks like I could be done with all my pre-orders already in.
Old 12-09-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, I always buy HDM from amazon because of this and Prime. If they don't let me renew it, I will probably turn off Prime and simply buy fewer titles. If they said, buy at least 5 titles to re-qualify I would in a heartbeat - maybe they are reading and will do something to extend the deal. They single handedly have me at well over 100 HDM titles. I bet 75% of all HDM in my home comes from amazon - maybe more. In fact, with Christmas coming I have purchased about 20+ titles in the last 30 days - I had 8 ship this morning.
Old 12-09-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was really nice with all the recent B1G1F and B2G1F deals at Amazon since they were also giving you 10% off the title that ended up being free.

I have Blade Runner on order, but may sneak in one my order before the 10% off if gone.
Old 12-09-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be placing a final blowout order on dec. 25th, after I see how Christmas shakes down... but I'll definitely be in for at least The Kingdom, Heartbreak Kid and Eastern Promises...I'm really going to miss the 10% off...
Old 12-10-07, 03:43 AM

I'm glad it's over. I was spending too much because of it overall.
Old 12-10-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Final blowout order Dec 26 for me. I'll bve canceling prime as well unless this magically gets extended or forgotten about.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.