DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Blu-Ray Wins (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/518956-blu-ray-wins.html)

bronxcyclone 12-02-07 02:21 PM

Blu-Ray Wins

Based on a study of over 2 major scientists' observations on color schemes and the future of home entertainment, all stores will discontinue selling HD-DVDs as of January 1, 2008.

"We don't want to lose Christmas profit from those who might buy HD dvds" says one store CEO, with frizzy hair and a laugh. "So, we're keeping them goin' until the New Year."

"It was a hard decision to make," says one entertainment industry leader. "But the findings by the scientists were too clearcut and powerful to ignore."

And what were those findings? "Blue is just a more popular color. Nobody really watches special features anyway, except for freaks, and most customers cannot tell the difference between normal dvds and high definition anyway. I mean, people own dvd players in 2007 and think that widescreen is missing half the picture. So it's really not about all the hocus pocus of quality. It's just the color blue. They like the blue at the top of the cases."

"I wrap my toddlers in blue blankets, and so it just seems right," says one concerned mother.

"I don't like the color red - it reminds me of vulgar passion and demons," says another parent.

"Disney chose Blu-ray. And Disney's not stupid," said someone related to Walt Disney.

In short, welcome to the king of the throne, Blu-Ray. At least until 2010, when industry insiders say everyone will be selling all their Blu-rays on Ebay for "Super Blu" dvds which will come adorned in plastic cases resembling jewels and diamonds.

"We're all about evolution," said someone.

mike2 12-02-07 02:29 PM

Ah until i see it on Cnn I won't believe it lol. And of course not until Universal and Paramount start announcing bluray upcoming releases for Jurassic Park and the Indiana Jones trilogy.

Gizmo 12-02-07 02:30 PM

:lol:

The sad thing? I'm sure this is being touted over at Blu-ray.com when this clearly is a humor piece.

PopcornTreeCt 12-02-07 02:32 PM

The Onion?

The_Cube 12-02-07 04:08 PM

Dang, I just bought an HD-DVD player too. Oh well, I'm used to being on the losing team.

indiansbsa 12-02-07 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mike2
Ah until i see it on Cnn I won't believe it lol. And of course not until Universal and Paramount start announcing bluray upcoming releases for Jurassic Park and the Indiana Jones trilogy.

INDY? Yes......

JP? NO....

Word on the street is that the Paramount deal with HD-DVD did not come with rights to Indy. Spielberg and his camp have made their intentions to release the Indy saga on blu ray pretty clear with the release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on Home Video....I am guessing thus Christmas 08 we shall see all of these films on blu ray exclusive.

ds6161 12-02-07 04:38 PM

HD waited till I took the bait on the A3 Best Buy deal.. Its all my fault!!!

DVD Polizei 12-02-07 04:38 PM

I love the Disney quote. :D

David Levine 12-02-07 04:51 PM

I'm partial to "over 2 major scientists'"

GenPion 12-02-07 06:03 PM

Heh. Good humor piece. Thankfully, not true, as I just joined the HD-DVD club. ;)

Gizmo 12-02-07 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by indiansbsa
INDY? Yes......

JP? NO....

Word on the street is that the Paramount deal with HD-DVD did not come with rights to Indy. Spielberg and his camp have made their intentions to release the Indy saga on blu ray pretty clear with the release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on Home Video....I am guessing thus Christmas 08 we shall see all of these films on blu ray exclusive.

Whats Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? When was this released?

hauntnut 12-02-07 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Whats Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? When was this released?

Um, the new Indiana Jones movie that's coming out next year.

Gizmo 12-02-07 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by hauntnut
Um, the new Indiana Jones movie that's coming out next year.

Gotcha, I didn't know that was its name, and the "home video" comment got me confused.

I see its owned by Paramount, so how will these and the other 3 movies owned by Paramount be Blu-ray exclusive?

dsa_shea 12-02-07 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Gotcha, I didn't know that was its name, and the "home video" comment got me confused.

I see its owned by Paramount, so how will these and the other 3 movies owned by Paramount be Blu-ray exclusive?

If Speilberg has any say in it then they will be Blu-Ray exclusive.

Gizmo 12-02-07 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea

I don't think we have been given a clear indication what he owns and what he can and cannot do. Paramount is HD DVD exclusive. As of right now this movie and the other 3 are HD DVD exclusive. No other Spielberg movies, besides Close Encounters (which is a Sony movie anyway) has been released so we have no idea is he can actually stop a release from happening. Close Encounters, being Spielberg approved and all, didn't really sell that well anyway (5k total is what Ive been reading). I imagine this is why we are not going to get many "big guns", not because of his approval, but because of low HDM sales in general.

cartman 12-02-07 07:46 PM

Ugh. Again I say ugh. This line of crap has been stated as fact from pro-blu zealots due to two occurances which do not in any way lead to what you said.

1) CEotTK releases on Blu-ray.

2) Spielberg movies are not included in the Paramount HD DVD exclusive deal.

Neither of the two above points in any way confirm the ridiculous statement you made. If you were instead basing it off of some other information that has not been disclosed, I'd be all ears.

dsa_shea 12-02-07 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by cartman
Ugh. Again I say ugh. This line of crap has been stated as fact from pro-blu zealots due to two occurances which do not in any way lead to what you said.

1) CEotTK releases on Blu-ray.

2) Spielberg movies are not included in the Paramount HD DVD exclusive deal.

Neither of the two above points in any way confirm the ridiculous statement you made. If you were instead basing it off of some other information that has not been disclosed, I'd be all ears.

If his movies are not exclusive to HD-Dvd via the Paramount deal then why do you expect them to show up on HD-Dvd? The first statement you made tends to lead people to believe that he is speaking by his actions rather than making statements in the media about his preferred choice. Does it pain you to think that you might not see is movies on HD-Dvd? You know how to solve that problem don't you?

PopcornTreeCt 12-02-07 07:56 PM

If anything the Indiana Jones films would be released on both formats. No way would a Paramount title be blu-ray exclusive.

dsa_shea 12-02-07 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If anything the Indiana Jones films would be released on both formats. No way would a Paramount title be blu-ray exclusive.

I could live with that. It wouldn't matter to me which format they show up on. But some people on here act like they lost a child when it is mentioned that a title might be format exclusive.

Gizmo 12-02-07 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

If Blu-ray is lucky it will be both, but I don't think the "deal" includes newer movies, only his past movies and even that means it would be on BOTH formats, not just HD DVD. However until one of these movies is announced we will never really know. It hasn't been really discussed to any degree besides a little mention in the Paramount goes HD DVD "deal".

cartman 12-02-07 08:10 PM

Does it pain you to think that you might not see is movies on HD-Dvd? You know how to solve that problem don't you?

This, again, shows how you assume and read into things incorrectly (and react in jackassery). I own both formats and don't prefer one over the other. What I loathe is people who say things like "it'll be BD only if Spielberg has his way" when there is nothing to show that to be true at all. I'd have a similar reaction is someone said "True Lies will be HD exclusive if Cameron has his way".

If his movies are not exclusive to HD-Dvd via the Paramount deal then why do you expect them to show up on HD-Dvd?

I would expect any DW movie directed by Spielberg to show up on BOTH Blu-ray and HD DVD. In the Paramount/DW deal, they stated that Spielbergs movies were not HD DVD exclusive, not that they were Blu-ray exclusive. If any of his directed movies from DW come out before one format or the other dies, they will likely be on both HD DVD and Blu-ray, again according to the PM/DW deal.

The first statement you made tends to lead people to believe that he is speaking by his actions rather than making statements in the media about his preferred choice.

Those people are morons. Sony releasing a catalog title to coincide with an anniversary of the movie on Blu-ray and a new DVD release is not in any way a statement of support by Spielberg.

Supermallet 12-02-07 08:21 PM

A. No need to call someone a jackass or say they are "reacting in jackassery."

B. The Paramount deal stipulated that Spielberg's movies would not be HD DVD exclusives. Nowhere did it say that Paramount cannot release Spielberg movies on HD DVD.

C. I do like the "over two scientists" bit of the original post.

dsa_shea 12-02-07 09:13 PM

I'm just glad the war is finally over.

BJacks 12-02-07 09:54 PM

Paramount has already said that the Indy films will be available in both HD formats.

dsa_shea 12-02-07 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BJacks
Paramount has already said that the Indy films will be available in both HD formats.

Sounds good to me.