HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Eyes Wide shut bluray problem

Old 11-30-07, 09:02 PM

Eyes Wide shut bluray problem

I just picked up a new tv 1080p samsung. No problems with it yet looks great. So i popped in the new bluray version of eyes wide shut for the first time and was a little perturbed as to the picture. For some reason it's in full screen. Yes We all know it was originally only released in fs format but with the new kubrick box set and bluray releases are all widescreen format. I popped in another bluray with the same aspect ratio (1:85) and it was indeed in ws format. So that ruled out my tv being on the wrong setting.

I just popped in the standard version of eyes wide shut(from the new box set) into my ps3. It as well broadcasts it in 1:33. wtf?? Meanwhile if i throw it in on my other tv it is indeed broadcast in true 1:85.

I repeated the process with fmj and got the same result. So does anyone know whats going on here? Thanks- Mike
Old 11-30-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, my first thought was that you were saying it filled the screen while other movies didn't, since Warner actually formats their "1.85:1" titles as 1.78:1, which completely fills a WS TV. With some other studios that do true 1.85:1 releases, you would see tiny black bars on the top and bottom if you don't have overscan.

However, then you mentioned "1.33:1" so I'm stumped. When it's 1.33:1, do you see distortion? I mean, does it look like it's been squished horizontally from 1.78:1 (so that Tom Cruise actually looks tall)? What movie worked at 1.85:1?
Old 12-02-07, 01:53 PM

Here's a picture of what's going on. It looks like any 1:85 format it makes full screen. If that's how it's supposed to be then i guess it's alright. I just don't want to lose any picture. I'm just so used to the bars being there that now it's totally throwing me off. Here's a picture of the guardian 1:85 format. It takes up the whole screen whereas if i throw it in my old tv which is just a standard 480p it will have the lines. The same thing happens with eyes wide shut, and rescue dawn.

Old 12-02-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You notice how your old TV was a square shape and your Samsung is rectangular? 1.33 is a square. 1.85 is a rectangle. A 1.33 image displayed on your old TV would fill the entire display area. A 1.85 image displayed on a widescreen TV will fill the entire display area, but is certainly not in "full screen" format.
Old 12-02-07, 02:56 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought that's what was going on. I was just so accustomed to the bars. I'll adjust to it. And of course 2:35 format dosen't take up the whole screen like 1:85 does. I figured that out with 300 & die hard.
Old 12-02-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ironic thing of course is that the DVD's for EWS and The Shining would have filled your 4:3 screen.
Old 12-02-07, 03:43 PM

This is the box set release you're referring to? Nope I've got the lines there. The original dvd releases which were infact widescreen fill up the whole screen but not the new box set. Blu-ray release of ews fills up my whole 1080p.
Old 12-02-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mike2, this may help:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...rs_Go_Away/764
Old 12-02-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike2
This is the box set release you're referring to? Nope I've got the lines there. The original dvd releases which were infact widescreen fill up the whole screen but not the new box set. Blu-ray release of ews fills up my whole 1080p.
I should have been more specific - I meant the 6 year old DVD's.
Old 12-02-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Perhaps in this case it should be "Why DO the black bars go away?"
Old 12-02-07, 06:17 PM

That's a good point. Well I appreciate everyone getting me more revolutionized with "hd" I'm new to it so you'll have to bear with me.
Old 12-02-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

While I knew that having a 16:9 Widescreen HDTV would make a 1:85 Movie fill my screen I can relate to it taking a while to get used to. Of course, now that I have regularly watched films like this it feels hard to imagine going back to something else. Whenever I am at a friends house or watching a film with my family and it's a regular TV with a Widescreen DVD the difference always amazes me. I used to not even understand the fuss over bigger, better TV's. Well... now I do.