Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question regarding PS3’s optical audio & component video out.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 11-29-07, 04:11 PM

If I have no HDMI connections, what will I get audio-wise through the PS3’s optical audio-out when selecting lossless audio tracks on Blu-ray discs?

Also, will I have to purchase a cable separately to connect via component video?
Old 11-29-07, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Commander Dan
If I have no HDMI connections, what will I get audio-wise through the PS3’s optical audio-out when selecting lossless audio tracks on Blu-ray discs?

Also, will I have to purchase a cable separately to connect via component video?
My understanding is the lossless is only available thru the HDMI and a surround receiver that accepts HDMI and can process lossless. The PS3 is real quirky on audio output in my opinion.
Old 11-29-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best you're going to get through optical is lossy surround or lossless stereo. To get lossless surround tracks you need a HDMI receiver. And if you want to connect via component cables you'll need specific component cables that work with the PS3.
Old 11-29-07, 08:37 PM

Well, I realize that I won’t get “lossless” sound over my receiver, but I was simply wondering if the PS3 would “downrez” the lossless audio tracks over the optical connection.

The Toshiba HD-A1 essentially does this, and my receiver interprets the track as a DTS track.

Do all Blu-ray discs have regular Dolby tracks? What happens if a disc only has Dolby TrueHD?
Old 11-29-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The optical out will do 2 channel PCM, as for Dolby TrueHD it will be DD 5.1, for DTS-HD it will be DTS 1.5. For component video the PS2 component cables will work fine.
Old 11-30-07, 10:13 AM

I thought the PS3 was finicky with the use of both HDMI cables and component cables. In fact, an audio tech once recommended that I use the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV then come back from the TV to my receiver with component cables for sound because he did not think the PS3 would let you use both sets of signals at the same time. Can anyone verify or eliminate this concern?
Old 11-30-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimT
I thought the PS3 was finicky with the use of both HDMI cables and component cables. In fact, an audio tech once recommended that I use the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV then come back from the TV to my receiver with component cables for sound because he did not think the PS3 would let you use both sets of signals at the same time. Can anyone verify or eliminate this concern?
Well first of all, surely you meant optical or 2-channel RCA cables from the TV because component doesn't carry sound.

You can mix or match them however you like - HDMI for video with optical for sound is often used, and I've even heard of HDMI for sound with component for video. I haven't heard of it being finicky - it's just that it will only send video or audio through one output at a time.

He was probably doing it so you could have sound from the TV or the receiver. A common complaint about HDMI sound through a receiver is that it won't pass the sound to the TV in addition to processing and playing it through the speakers. Some people don't always want to use the receiver for material they deem not worth it, and it's inconvenient for them to keep changing the setting on the receiver.
Old 12-03-07, 11:11 AM

Optical via the PS3 is great. That is how I have my receiver set. Just make sure to change both audio settings in your AV menu on the PS3 to BITSTREAM.

I happy enough with it I don't really see any major reason to upgrade the receiver for awhile.