Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible problem exchanging A3 at best buy?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basiclly the player has been acting up for the past two weeks. I have had it for 3. I updated the firmware to see if the issues would stop and they didn't. Basiclly the image will flicker black frames sometimes, or drop out of picture for a few seconds at a time. This is very random...

Normally this wouldn't be a problem to exchange but...

1. It was a bestbuy.com instore pick up
2. I already sent in the UPC for the free discs.

I am well inside the return/exchange policy timeframe, but will the UPC issue bite me? Which if true, is retarded.

Ugh, I just don't want to have to deal with drama over something that shouldn't be that hard.
Old 11-29-07, 12:44 AM

You'll likely have to call Toshiba. Since the box will not be intact, Best Buy will probably refuse the return/exchange.

Make sure you talk to a manager about the situation out of the blocks, at least you'll get he straightest answer from them. (Relatively... We are talking Best Buy.)

fitprod
Old 11-29-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is possible that you can exchange just the unit and keep your box. That way they can send the defective player back in an intact box,and you can try another player.

I mean, you don't need a new box, correct?
Old 11-29-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9

I mean, you don't need a new box, correct?
Right, I have no need for a different box.They should have warning signs in store to wait 30 days after purchase before sending off for a rebate due to the UPC issue. It's not like this is a completly different outside promotion, while it's a toshiba promotion, best buy does advertise it online/instore.
Old 11-29-07, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Basiclly the player has been acting up for the past two weeks. I have had it for 3. I updated the firmware to see if the issues would stop and they didn't. Basiclly the image will flicker black frames sometimes, or drop out of picture for a few seconds at a time. This is very random...
What kind of connections are you using between the A3 and your TV or projector? Maybe it is an HDMI issue.
Old 11-29-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HDMI, I don't know. Maybe... I had this same toshiba cable when I was using it with my previous upconverting player, and never had a problem with it.
Old 11-29-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Right, I have no need for a different box.They should have warning signs in store to wait 30 days after purchase before sending off for a rebate due to the UPC issue.
Sorry, but honestly, that's just common sense. There's no need for a warning.
Old 11-29-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Sorry, but honestly, that's just common sense. There's no need for a warning.
I see your point if it's a promotion that Best Buy doesn't support or advertise. But in this case, when best buy might refuse to EXCHANGE, not return a possibly defective item because of lack of a UPC, when everything else (receipt, original contents ) is intact, I think a warning should be included.

It's a good faith measure, i purchased this item from best buy expecting it work properly. Because of that ( unbelivable?) expectation, I followed through with the upc promotion.

Should i now be exempt form the 30 days to exchange it for one that works properly?

Common sense would tell me not to try and return it for credit or cash with the upc gone. Which I am not trying to do. Exchanging it is a different matter.
Old 11-29-07, 10:45 AM

I attempted to exchange my HD DVD player which had also been acting up. Although I was w/in the 30 Day period, BB would not allow the exchange since I removed the UPC Code. BB informed me that they needed the UPC Code intact because it matches the Serial Number of the unit and it is needed to get reimbursed by the manufacturer.

I will have to contact the manufacturer to have my unit replaced under warranty.
Old 11-29-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Since when have they required the box to do an exchange? Just tell them you threw it away as soon as you hooked up the player. I mean, if I bought an entire kitchen setup from them would they really expect me to keep all those boxes in my house for 30 days just to make sure everything works?
Old 11-29-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by John Galt
Since when have they required the box to do an exchange? Just tell them you threw it away as soon as you hooked up the player. I mean, if I bought an entire kitchen setup from them would they really expect me to keep all those boxes in my house for 30 days just to make sure everything works?
That is an interesting point John. It's worth a try OP, although, I think the BB return policy does say something about original packaging (any possibly a 15% restocking fee for those that don't).
Old 11-29-07, 11:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You could always buy the service plan now (within 30 days of purchase). I got the player for $199, so a 2 year plan was $19.99. It's cheaper than getting hit with the re-stocking fee...
Old 11-29-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You shouldn't need a box to do a return or exchange at the store, regardless of whether you purchased it in store or did a pickup. It sounds like what you were told was BS.
Old 11-29-07, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt

Actually when they delivered the hdtv I bought from them, the delivery guys specifically said to keep the boxes for 30 days in case an exchange was needed.
Old 11-30-07, 09:32 AM

Is the serial number on the unit a sticker of some sort? If I remember correctly when I had a ps2, the serial number on the ps2 unit was a sticker of some sort.

If it is a sticker on your A3 do this.

Go to best buy, buy another A3 hd dvd player, take the new good one out of the intact box. Carefully remove the serial numbers off the units and transfer them. So now you have the new, working A3 HD dvd player with the old serial number and the old non working A3 hd dvd player has the new seriel number.

Put the old non working A3 unit with the new serial number in the new intact box and say you didn't want it. bingo. The serial numbers match and all you did was exchange the units.