Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek -The Original Series - Complete First Season Combo HD-DVD $124.99 at Costco

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek -The Original Series - Complete First Season Combo HD-DVD $124.99 at Costco

Old 11-25-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does this belong here in this forum?

(I looked around a bit and I didn't see it posted anywhere, so here it is! )

Now I don't know if this is such a great deal or not but 'I' like it!

...and sure, I order stuff off the Internet, but sometimes, I like to walk into a store, slap my cash (or card) down on the counter, and then walk out with the product in-my-hand and ready to watch when I get home!

So, after reading das monkey's G-R-E-A-T review on this one, and carefully inspecting the case, checking to see if there were any loose or broken off plastic hub pieces clicking or rustling around inside there (and when it passed inspection), Man, Oh Man...was I ever happy to pick this one up yesterday for $124!

(...especially after we JUST (minutes before) bought one at Fry's and paid $149! )

...However, the set comes with 5 transparent plastic index-like cards listing the episodes, and I got 2 of the cards listing info for discs #5 & #6, and didn't get one for #7 & #8!

Who in the HELL packs this stuff, anyway???

&

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-25-07 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Because that's what I do.
Old 11-25-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Edit King
Does this belong here in this forum?

(I looked around a bit and I didn't see it posted anywhere, so here it is! )

Now I don't know if this is such a great deal or not but 'I' like it!

...and sure, I order stuff off the Internet, but sometimes, I like to walk into a store, slap my cash (or card) down on the counter, and then walk out with the product in-my-hand and ready to watch when I get home!

So, after reading das monkey's G-R-E-A-T review on this one, and carefully inspecting the case, checking to see if there were any loose or broken off plastic hub pieces clicking or rustling around inside there (and when it passed inspection), Man, Oh Man...was I ever happy to pick this one up yesterday for $124!

(...especially after we JUST (minutes before) bought one at Fry's and paid $149! )

...However, the set comes with 5 transparent plastic index-like cards listing the episodes, and I got 2 of the cards listing info for discs #5 & #6, and didn't get one for #7 & #8!

Who in the HELL packs this stuff, anyway???

&

THEEK!
A seller from Amazon.com Marketplace had one listed for $85. All the description said was "New". I was not sure if this was "New" open or sealed. But still a very good price. The seller had only 1 feedback from Dec 06. I decided on not buying it. Probably a stupid move on my part.
Old 11-25-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kahuna
A seller from Amazon.com Marketplace had one listed for $85. All the description said was "New". I was not sure if this was "New" open or sealed. But still a very good price. The seller had only 1 feedback from Dec 06. I decided on not buying it. Probably a stupid move on my part.
Don't feel stupid, some crazy offer will arrive soon I'm sure where these will be like $30 Use early HDM adopters are getting some fantastic deals right now.
Old 11-25-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I took a chance and ordered it from him, so thanks for the heads-up. The description states that it's brand new/sealed, and it was about $20 less than it would've been even with Deep Discount's 20% off.
Old 11-25-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Well, I took a chance and ordered it from him, so thanks for the heads-up. The description states that it's brand new/sealed, and it was about $20 less than it would've been even with Deep Discount's 20% off.
Curious to see how this one pans out. Sounds to good to be true but you may have gotten the best deal this set is gonna see for quite some time.
Old 11-26-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
The seller either had a 2nd one for sale or relisted the first one. I notice about 10 minutes after I posted my first message here. He listed another one for sale for the same price of $85.99. Any way let us know how this turns out.
Old 11-26-07, 12:17 AM

The seller either had a 2nd one for sale or relisted the first one. I notice about 10 minutes after I posted my first message here. He listed another one for sale for the same price of $85.99. Any way let us know how this turns out.
Well, if someone has multiple copies available, it certainly makes sense to only list one at a time, so that doesn't concern me too much. I know Amazon's buyer protection policies are pretty good, too, so that helped me make the decision... the real deal-sealer was das Monkey's great review, though.

If there's anything to be worried about, it's the condition of the packaging when it arrives, but luckily I'm pretty confident that I can swap it locally just in case.
Old 11-26-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
Curious to see how this one pans out. Sounds to good to be true but you may have gotten the best deal this set is gonna see for quite some time.

You can get some great deals from Amazon.com Marketplace. 50% of my collection has been purchased from Amazon.com Marketplace. Out of the 72 purchases so far half of those have been new/sealed the other half have been used/open. I have paid mostly any where from $7.25 to $13.99 for each title before shipping. Except of course of some box sets like Planet Earth for $35 as well as the cheaper Matrix box set. So far out of the 72 transactions I have gotten 2 sellers who send me the SD version instead of the hd-dvd. I got my money refunded both times.
Old 11-26-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I sell on Amazon Marketplace and anything I list is exactly as described, so I have 100% positive feedback. As long as the seller's feedback is in the 98% range, a buyer shouldn't have any problem. And if there is an issue, Amazon will help resolve it, up to and including a refund of the purchase price.

If there is a question about what is listed, one can send a message to the seller and ask.

I wonder how the seller got multiple sealed copies of the ST Season 1 set at such a bargain price? Perhaps they are "hot".
Old 11-26-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
^I sell on Amazon Marketplace and anything I list is exactly as described, so I have 100% positive feedback. As long as the seller's feedback is in the 98% range, a buyer shouldn't have any problem. And if there is an issue, Amazon will help resolve it, up to and including a refund of the purchase price.

If there is a question about what is listed, one can send a message to the seller and ask.

I wonder how the seller got multiple sealed copies of the ST Season 1 set at such a bargain price? Perhaps they are "hot".
I contacted the seller to ask about the item he was selling. He changed his description to "brand new/sealed" when he listed another "ST Season 1" for sale a couple hours later.
Old 11-27-07, 06:13 AM

Just received a refund notification from Amazon, saying that the seller had cancelled the transaction, more or less because he doesn't agree with the way the marketplace payments work. Hmm.
Old 11-27-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New sellers get their money held for a longer period of time. Maybe that's the issue.
Old 11-28-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a seller over at Amazon.com Marketplace selling this set "Used-Like New" for $98.09.
Old 11-28-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a seller over at Amazon.com Marketplace selling this set "Used-Like New" for $98.09.
Unfortunately, with this set "like new" probably means that the tray is chipped in several places, the cardboard sleeve is torn, and a few of the discs fell off their hubs and got scratched.

Paramount really screwed the pooch with the flimsy packaging of this set.
Old 11-28-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Unfortunately, with this set "like new" probably means that the tray is chipped in several places, the cardboard sleeve is torn, and a few of the discs fell off their hubs and got scratched.

Paramount really screwed the pooch with the flimsy packaging of this set.
This is one reason why I have not pre-ordered the Harry Potter box set yet. I am waiting to hear from people who receive this box set in the mail.
Old 11-29-07, 12:01 PM

I received my Star Trek set from DD and it was in mint condition.
Old 11-29-07, 01:51 PM
Suspended

$129.99 this week at Best Buy.
Old 11-29-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got mine from Amazon on last week. The top of the inner-case was cracked and there were fingerprint smudges on two of the discs. Not real happy with that but BB (locally) isn't stocking them and I don't want to take another chance with a mail-ordered set. I'm watching disc one now and it looks amazing so gor now...no real complaints. I am pissed at the phaser remote offer though. I bought an A2 a month or so before the release of this set and that puts me out of the running to get one...sucks.
Old 11-29-07, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
$129.99 this week at Best Buy.
Is this online or in store?
Old 11-29-07, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Is this online or in store?
Both.
Old 11-29-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The more I think about it, the more I want it, but... Jesus, $130?
Old 11-29-07, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Both.
Thanks! Looks like I'm making a trip to BB then. I rather buy it in store to more sure I don't get a damaged copy.
Old 11-29-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my set from DDD and other than one very small chip on top of the plastic case holding the last disc, it's in perfect condition. No tears or anything on the paper, and while the first disc was a minor floater, no scratches or scuffs to speak of. I've watched the first 1.6 discs and I've really enjoyed it so far!
Old 11-30-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The more I think about it, the more I want it, but... Jesus, $130?
The amount of effort put into the restoration and the new visual effects wasn't cheap, and they need to recoup that investment somehow.

We should all be grateful that Paramount didn't ass-rape the HD DVD market the way they did with DVD, first releasing the entire series a 2-episode disc at a time, each at $30, and not putting them together into season sets until several years later.
Old 11-30-07, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The amount of effort put into the restoration and the new visual effects wasn't cheap, and they need to recoup that investment somehow.

We should all be grateful that Paramount didn't ass-rape the HD DVD market the way they did with DVD, first releasing the entire series a 2-episode disc at a time, each at $30, and not putting them together into season sets until several years later.
Paramount has always ass-raped when it comes to the Trek series on DVD.

Mine is still sore from shelling out $700+ for ST:TNG, $700+ for ST: DS9, and $400 for ST:Enterprise. They got my $$$, so they are the big winners, but paying a ton for a Trek series is nothing new. I was on the fence when it came to Voyager - I would've picked it up at half the price, but I wasn't going to shell out another $700 for that one.

This HD set would be priced this high whether there was restoration done or not. Heck, for a Paramount Trek release, I'm surprised they aren't charging more. Especially since we're buying DVDs, too, and a premium is always paid for the pleasure of having a combo disc and, in this case, there are ten of 'em.

My third set is on it's way and I'm hoping it will be enough to collect a full set of scratchless, fingerprintless, playable discs with the case fully intact. Although, both of my cases SEEM to be intact. A piece of broken plastic fell out of one of them, but I can't find where it came from...

Last edited by BrandonJF; 11-30-07 at 06:13 PM.