Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Live Free or Die Hard" Blu-Ray PG-13 vs. Unrated SD-DVD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having been the subject of a message board backlash, the "Live Free or Die Hard" Blu-Ray deserves a lot more credit than it received prior to its release date, mainly due to how lackluster the so-called "Unrated" version in standard DVD really is. I was one of the few believers that there was nothing wrong with the theatrical version of the movie, save for a few instances of poor dialogue looping where it was painfully obvious that some foul language was excised. But the unrated version doesn't seem to dispel most of those; there are still instances where looping is obvious, and the violence that was left out of the theatrical version has also been reinserted, although numerous sprays of blood from gunshot wounds look painfully artificial in nature, and were better left out. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with this.
Old 11-25-07, 06:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I won't buy the Blu-ray version until an Unrated cut comes out or the price is just too good to pass up (less then $40 for the set). I'm sure an Unrated Cut will come out eventually as Fox loves to double/triple dip.
Old 11-25-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I won't buy the Blu-ray version until an Unrated cut comes out or the price is just too good to pass up (less then $40 for the set). I'm sure an Unrated Cut will come out eventually as Fox loves to double/triple dip.
That's pretty much where I stand also.
Old 11-25-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not very high on my wanted list. I'll pick it up if it's on sale. The unrated vs. PG-13 stuff isn't a big factor to me.
Old 11-25-07, 07:12 PM

I'm waiting til it's released unrated... preferably with both cuts on the disc.
Old 11-25-07, 07:42 PM
Banned

I liked the PG-13 cut. It was good enough.
Old 11-25-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I decided to use the 20% off sale to get the Die Hard quadrilogy. I don't think the differences are major, but there's a part of me that misses the small differences. Still with 20% off, the other three Die Hard movies, and a small price break for buying the set, I dove in.
Old 11-25-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
I would buy the Blu-Ray version if they come around with the R-rated version. While the differences are not huge, there's enough of an obvious difference that it nags at me, and distracts me while I watch it. It's the same reason I don't watch 2:35 films that have been cropped to 1:78 on HBO, Starz or Cinemax, or films that run on the cable or network: They may be in HD, but I'm not trading PQ for a sliced up version of the film.
Old 11-26-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Quadrilogy was 66 bucks and change with the DDD 20% off sale(of course it's backordered, so I'll be waiting a while for it). That's a decent enough price that it was worth picking up.

Honestly, Die Soft 4 was a weak movie regardless of the level of swearing and violence(and yes, I've seen most of the unrated cut). So I'm not overly concerned which version I have.