HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Some dumb questions from a HD newbie

Old 11-24-07, 07:44 PM

Some dumb questions from a HD newbie

Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone. I took the HD plunge today and purchased the Toshiba HD-A3 from best buy today. I also got the Samsung LNT3253-H HDTV I ren a monster ultra 600 HDMI cable from the player to the TV. Now is tat all I need to get the true HD experience? Or do I need to hook up the other audio / video cables?

Also does it seem like Disney or Sony will be releasing any HD DVD'S in the future, or are they just Blue Ray?

What studios do HD and which do BR?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old 11-24-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I think know Monster cables are a marked-up waste of money, that's essentially all you need for your video components: a good HDMI cable. Audio-wise, unless you have a surround set up, running it to your tv is going to sound the same no matter what cables you're using.

HD-supported studios include WB/New Line, Univeral, Paramount/Dreamworks and The Weinstein Co.

Anything else is BR except WB/New Line, who are neutral.

Disney and Sony will not be releasing HD-DVDs ever.

Last edited by islandclaws; 11-24-07 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-24-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
HD-supported studios include WB/New Line, Univeral, Paramount/Dreamworks and The Weinstein Co.
I don't know if I'd count The Weinstein Company right now since they've seemingly given up on HD media outright.
Old 11-24-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Return that $60+ HDMI cable and order one from Monoprice.com for $6. Same quality. You will NOT be able to tell the difference. Use that extra $60 to buy movies.
Old 11-24-07, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't know if I'd count The Weinstein Company right now since they've seemingly given up on HD media outright.
They have also given up on releasing good films.
Old 11-24-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
They have also given up on releasing good films.
HEY! I heard Halloween was pretty good.... Can't believe I will be buying that on DVD...ugh.
Old 11-24-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis

Disney and Sony will not be releasing HD-DVDs ever.
I wouldn't say Never. Someday all studios may have to release on both formats or HD-DVD might win the war. Might be a long time before either of those scenarios happen.
Old 11-24-07, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Return that $60+ HDMI cable and order one from Monoprice.com for $6. Same quality. You will NOT be able to tell the difference. Use that extra $60 to buy movies.
On a somewhat related question, is it true that HDMI protocol is all or nothing? I.e., it is either I get all the picture & sound or nothing at all, correct?
Old 11-25-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hoyalawya
On a somewhat related question, is it true that HDMI protocol is all or nothing? I.e., it is either I get all the picture & sound or nothing at all, correct?
You mean the quality of the picture/sound? Within reason, yes. If the cable is too long for its thickness you can get sparklies in the picture. (It will be obvious something is wrong though.) Notice how the longer cables Monoprice sells are thicker than the shorter ones.
Old 11-25-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

3 HDMI cables $11 shipped http://www.yesbuy.net/hdmi-2-hdmi-av...-plated-3.html
Old 11-25-07, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
You mean the quality of the picture/sound? Within reason, yes. If the cable is too long for its thickness you can get sparklies in the picture. (It will be obvious something is wrong though.) Notice how the longer cables Monoprice sells are thicker than the shorter ones.
I understand about the guage of the wire. But what about the protocol? Is it all or nothing? It seems like HDMI is still a bit analog-like from what you described.
Old 11-25-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am quoting from my memory, so I could be wrong.

HDMI is a digital protocol, so it is "pretty much" all or noting. Longer runs can experience interference. 6' and under should be no worry. 6'-15' you will want to increase the wire gage, and over 15' and I think you need a repeater, which monoprice has.

With an analog signal, problems will result in an overall degradation of the picture. HDMI will give "sparklies". Any long run will result in some sort of problems. Fiber-optic will lose intensity, and metallic lines are prone to EMI.