Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Did you own the Standard DVD of a movie before buying the HD/BLU RAY DVD version?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Did you own the Standard DVD of a movie before buying the HD/BLU RAY DVD version?
I will now buy an HD/Blu Ray DVD version since I did not have the Standard DVD of that same movie.
6.85%
From my HD/Blu Ray DVD collection, I only owned some of those films on Standard DVD.
28.77%
From my HD/Blu Ray DVD collection, I only owned half of those films on Standard DVD.
15.07%
From my HD/Blu Ray DVD collection, I owned most of those movies on Standard DVD.
42.47%
For every HD/Blu Ray DVD that I own, I also have the Standard DVD of that film.
6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Did you own the Standard DVD of a movie before buying the HD/BLU RAY DVD version?

Old 11-22-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the films that you own on Standard DVD, and if that film becomes an HD/Blu Ray title, are you buying those same movie titles on HD/Blu Ray?
Old 11-22-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, I had to select the owned most of the titles in SD option. I'm waiting for the next extra 20% promotion to unload the SDs for FYE store credit.
Old 11-22-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta vote most as well. That'll change as new movies get released though.
Old 11-22-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Gotta vote most as well. That'll change as new movies get released though.
Ditto.
Old 11-22-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've upgraded a lot of title, but I've also been buying only hd/blu for almost a year... so of my 131 titles, 42 are upgrades, the rest are mostly new releases or catalogue that I never got around to buying on SD... I try to only upgrade essential titles though because I've got over 1500 sd's total, so I can't replace ALL of them.

Last edited by mdc3000; 11-22-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-22-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have something like 165 DVDs and 4 HD. None of them are doubles. I will try not to double dip unless:
a) It is a movie I really like
b) It is a good deal

I would double dip on some Pixar titles, but I am not part of that format at this time.
Old 11-22-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm double/triple dipping on many owned SD titles.

I wish I could stop.....but I have a problem.
Old 11-22-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I already had quite a large collection of DVDs, so I owned most of the movies I wanted before high-def. Thus, most of the new movies I buy only in high-def (like Spiderman 3, Transformers) because they are new enough that I hadn't already purchased the SD version, but most old ones (most high-def titles) I already owned on SD...But then I sell or trade the SD version.
Old 11-23-07, 09:22 AM

I remember when SD DVD came out, I was VERY quick to "upgrade". Not only did the picture blow away the VHS tapes, but I could elminate rewind, have optional subtitles, chapter selection, the audio was MUCH better, I had extra's and storage space per disc was less. While I think Blu and HD have amazing pictures and nice features, the change in technology isn't as drastic as it was from VHS to DVD, at least for me. I'm not really interested in upgrading my current collection of DVD's for a few reasons. I'm not sure how many of my DVD's will make it to HD or Blu anyhow, because as you know Toddly all the dvd's I purchase are International or Indy films. I also find myself content (for the most part) watching HD feeds (for Hollywood films) from the movie networks/on demand even though they are only broadcast 720. I've never really had a need to own blockbuster/hollywood dvd's because you can rent them anywhere and with all the movie stations I have I can often catch them on there. I don't think HD or Blu are viable for people who watch International Films as of yet. I assume I would upgrade some of my top films over time, but as of now they are not on HD or Blu. Bela Tarr has a few that I think could be stunning in HD, but who knows when or if that will happen.
Old 11-23-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Splattii, yeah, where is the love for the very arty/foreign/independanton HD/Blu Ray DVDs? When DVD came out, didn't it take a while before the very arty/foreign/independant DVDs showed up? Would it really hurt the HD/Blu Ray industry if they threw in some obscure titles once in a while? It certainly may help more people to join in the HD/Blu Ray craze...I guess they are assuming that people that are audio/video junkies don't care for obscure,indie, arty, foreign flicks? The industry could even take advantage of this factor. A filmmaker like Mathew Barney could release all of his Cremaster films on HD/Blu Ray DVD and charge a hundred dollars for each film and the HD/Blu Ray industry will then gain a bit more customers. (this is just a hypothetical example because it would defeat the purpose for Barney who doesn't want to mass-produce his films onto a video format because he sees them as "art." I don't know the reasons to why he released the final half hour of Cremaster 3 on DVD. To me, that's a hint of a sell-out, so he might as well just release his damn movies on a video format)

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-23-07 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-23-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only own about 300 dvd's so all of my HD+BLU RAY purchases are new titles. The only one I will double dip for later is The Aviator.

This new format is ideal for someone like me
Old 11-23-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A small amount...

Out of the 24 HD-DVD/Blu-Ray discs I own, only 5 were upgraded from previous SD discs.
Old 11-23-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Almost exactly half for me. If I can get a good price on it, I have no problem with upgrading a favorite movie DVD I already own. And there haven't been many new releases in high def, over the last year or so, that I want at prices I am willing to pay, so I just Netflix those for now.

There are still quite a few favorites I would like to upgrade, should they ever get released on HD DVD or BD. But I wouldn't bother to upgrade the vast majority of my SD DVD collection.
Old 11-23-07, 02:11 PM

Almost all of the upgrades from SD to Blu-rays has been because the SDs were either all non-anamorphic, early "flippers", or there has since been a serious remastering of the film onto the disc.
The remander were due to recent sales (ie the Circuit City BOGO mistake).
Old 11-23-07, 02:45 PM

I don't plan to double dip for a while. Maybe a few titles if prices come down. The choices for 5 free with the A3 and PS3 are probably going to force me into a couple of double dips (own 2 or 3 of the 3 already on DVD).
Old 11-23-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only got about 21 HD DVDs right now, and I already owned about half on SD. I'll continue buying what I want in HD, but I'll only upgrade to it on certain titles I already own on SD. I'm not rebuying my entire collection of SD's on HD. No way. Only titles I know look that much better with the upgrade.
Old 11-23-07, 08:46 PM

I'm trying to turn over as many sd's into bd's as i can. Figure i'd upgrade everything that's currently available. Just a shame because used dvd's aren't going to much anymore.
Old 11-24-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For catalog titles, yes, I often did have the DVD, but I've also sought out some titles I hadn't seen, because they became available in HD. For example, I had never seen Dog Day Afternoon (sad, I know), or Corpse Bride, but because they got HD releases I checked them out and ended up liking them and buying them in HD.

There are also some titles I knew I liked but just never got around to buying the DVDs for some reason.
Old 11-24-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes. For Standard DVDs I didn't need anymore, I donated them to the local library.
Old 11-24-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I try to buy only HD of movies I dont own already.I still have a large SD collection, which I am happy with.
Old 11-24-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yes. For Standard DVDs I didn't need anymore, I donated them to the local library.
Your library probably appreciates that. My little small town library, of which I am a longtime trustee, doesn't buy DVDs. All of our ever-growing collection has been donated by patrons. The ones we don't need go on the book sale shelves.
Old 11-25-07, 08:38 AM

I have a large SD collection and I'm still very happy with it. I plan to upgrade only the worst ones (bad PQ, non-anamorphic releases, etc).
Old 11-25-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I've done the same thing several times, particularly for titles they don't have which are also in plentiful supply on eBay. They get a new movie for their collection and I get a tax deduction that is frequently greater than whatever I might get if I sell it. Win-win.
Old 11-25-07, 11:57 AM

My library has a nice selection of dvd's. For some reason the people that take them out scratch them horribly. I don't want to see my dvd's get destroyed by people who don't give a shit about having a nice selection. Which is why i stopped renting from there primarily because every disk i got, skipped.
Old 11-25-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only own about 15 HD Titles....the first 12 I bought we're all double dips of my favorite movies. The last 3 have all been new releases that I skipped the DVD version for the HD DVD version.