Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can HD-DVDs/Blu Ray DVDs be copied? And can independent films use HD/Blu Ray DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Can HD-DVDs/Blu Ray DVDs be copied? And can independent films use HD/Blu Ray DVD?

Old 11-22-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not advocating bootlegging at all. I just have an HD/Blu Ray technical question that i've been confused about - For example, let's just say I'm involved with an independant film that wants to make an HD/Blu Ray DVD of its own film and it won't be mass-produced, but we would want to give DVD copies of this film to friends/family/and people involved in the film. I'm just curious if HD-DVDs/Blu Ray DVDs can be copied onto Standard blank DVDs and/or a blank HD/Blu Ray DVD (if they exist)? If so, would a Standard DVD copy of a HD/Blu Ray DVD be the same or less quality as the original HD/Blu Ray DVD, but still better than the quality of a Standard DVD?

And furthermore, can independent small filmmakers get their own movies on HD/Blu Ray or one can only deal directly with Sony or Disney? I do understand that filmmakers can film in High Definition and release their own DVDs, but what about creating their own HD/Blu Ray DVDs of their small indie films?
Old 11-22-07, 12:52 PM

I shot a short in HD a few months ago, and I've been trying to do what you described.

I've read on other forums that DVD Studio Pro allows you to make an HD-DVD using a blank DVD (of course, it has to be a brief HD film in order to fit on a DVD), and be able to play it on a HD-DVD player in HD. I haven't been able to do it myself, but I think I just need to upgrade my version of DVD Studio Pro.

The quality of the image when played on a TV should be the same as that of the original HD compression.
Old 11-22-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Utopianz14,

So basically the difference comes down to disc space? Such that you can copy an HD/Blu Ray DVD onto a normal DVD, but if the movie on the HD/Blu Ray DVD is like 90 minutes long, then it would take something like 4 Standard Blank DVDs to copy the whole film? So it's the disc space that creates the audio/video quality? It has nothing to do with the actual HD/Blu Ray disc being better physical quality than the standard DVD?
Old 11-22-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
So basically the difference comes down to disc space? ... It has nothing to do with the actual HD/Blu Ray disc being better physical quality than the standard DVD?
The main physical difference between DVD, BD, and HD DVD discs is the amount of storage space there is, yes. However, the differences between the video formats is a bit more complicated. For one, HD DVD and BD allow the use of newer and more advanced video codecs, in addition to allowing HD resolution in the first place.

So you can put HD video on a DVD disc, but that video isn't going to play back on a DVD player. You'll need either an HD DVD or BD player, depending on how you authored the disc.

You could also downconvert the HD video to NTSC and then author a SD DVD of it that would be playable on most any DVD player, but then the video wouldn't be HD. If you're giving copies to people though, a DVD copy may be the best option, since anyone should be able to play it, while any one HD option is going to exclude some HD users, and all non-HD viewers.

Also, while copy-protection is an option on both HD DVD and BD, it's not required. And anyone can get a HD DVD or BD made, provided you can author the disc yourself, or find/hire someone else to, and can make a deal with a production plant. You wouldn't have to deal with Disney at all, although you may have to deal with Sony's disc replication division for BD.

Finally, you may want to look into this offer for free authoring in HD DVD for qualifying independent films:
http://www.createspace.com/Special/L/1000HD_indies.jsp
Old 11-23-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
And furthermore, can independent small filmmakers get their own movies on HD/Blu Ray or one can only deal directly with Sony or Disney? I do understand that filmmakers can film in High Definition and release their own DVDs, but what about creating their own HD/Blu Ray DVDs of their small indie films?
This may be of help:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/tags/show/CustomFlix