Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray's viral marketing video campaign (was: I can't stand this kind of crap)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray's viral marketing video campaign (was: I can't stand this kind of crap)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I can't stand vague thread titles.
Then don't click them.
Old 11-21-07, 02:49 PM
Suspended

I have a feeling if that ad showed a Blu-ray player ending up in the closet it would be getting cheers all around on this site. But then again, Blu-ray going obsolete doesn't make any sense at all, now does it?
Old 11-21-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Lime
I have a feeling if that ad showed a Blu-ray player ending up in the closet it would be getting cheers all around on this site.
It might get cheers but it wouldn't be any less stupid. There are some obnoxious loyalists here, but they aren't the majority -- they're just louder than the rest.
Old 11-21-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a feeling if that ad showed a Blu-ray player ending up in the closet it would be getting cheers all around on this site. But then again, Blu-ray going obsolete doesn't make any sense at all, now does it?

Nope. Just like Beta....oh wait. These ads even point that out. Ironic.
Old 11-21-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
i certainly can't speak for the whole site, but it would be equally as obnoxious to me.
Old 11-21-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
i certainly can't speak for the whole site, but it would be equally as obnoxious to me.

I agree.

You should be able to promote your product based on it's own merits.
Old 11-21-07, 04:08 PM

I'm not a supporter of either camp, rather simply a supporter of a quick resolution to the war, so I think I can say this and be relatively unbiased: Marketing's marketing. Anyone who views either camp's way of trying to push their products as morally superior to the other is a little naive, I think. Marketing products "based on their merits", while a quaint, rustic ideal, hasn't been a reality for decades. I think Toshiba or Sony would both pretty much stop at nothing to win the war. There is just a difference in strategy because of the differences in the products (one pricey, but with higher theoretical capability needs a hard sell vs. one that is at present equally effective in practice, and far more affordable, sells itself).

Are the ads misleading? Sure, but let's be honest: Sony HAS to push Blu-Ray harder, because at this point it has little PRACTICAL advantage to the consumer as compared to HDDVD, so the much higher player prices are a tough sell. When companies have a tough sell, they might take a few more risks and break a few more rules in trying to push it. With that said, I certainly don't think this a well-conceived campaign, especially the gaffe of having one of Sony's own failed formats in the junk closet. It isn't as easy to bully people with marketing as it used to be.

Last edited by MrDs10e; 11-21-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-21-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by MrDs10e
I'm not a supporter of either camp, rather simply a supporter of a quick resolution to the war, so I think I can say this and be relatively unbiased: Marketing's marketing. Anyone who views either camp's way of trying to push their products as morally superior to the other is a little naive, I think. Marketing products "based on their merits", while a quaint, rustic ideal, hasn't been a reality for decades. I think Toshiba or Sony would both pretty much stop at nothing to win the war. There is just a difference in strategy because of the differences in the products (one pricey, but with higher theoretical capability needs a hard sell vs. one that is at present equally effective in practice, and far more affordable, sells itself).

Are the ads misleading? Sure, but let's be honest: Sony HAS to push Blu-Ray harder, because at this point it has little PRACTICAL advantage to the consumer as compared to HDDVD, so the much higher player prices are a tough sell. When companies have a tough sell, they might take a few more risks and break a few more rules in trying to push it. With that said, I certainly don't think this a well-conceived campaign. It isn't as easy to bully people with marketing as it used to be.
i agree with everything you said here. i don't expect anything different in today's marketing/media landscape. i still personally find them obnoxious (just as i do the smug, but not remarkably clever Mac vs. PC ads).
Old 11-21-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Damed
Then don't click them.
How about you don't make them and save the mods some time.
Old 11-21-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I can't seem to verify this is from Sony so I really can't justify a response directed at them. However, this is certainly a childish way to respond as anyone who is a proponent of the Blu-ray format.

About the ads of the guy using his HD DVD player as a coaster and the guy who took his HD DVD player to the closet. I take it both these guys purchased an HD DVD player and are now NOT using them. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Not a well thought out ad campaign, if it is. all it shows is these two guys are idiots.
Old 11-21-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
I suppose that's true. We have the Miller vs. Bud commercials on TV all the time. And Coke vs. Pepsi commercials. Although it's usually the #2 company (Millier/Pepsi) that is making these against the #1 company (Bud/Coke).
Very similar to what I was going to post. #2 always has to put down #1 to try to weasel their way into that spot (Burger King vs. McDonald's, Pepsi vs. Coke, etc.) by propaganda instead of a superior product. What's funny is that if BR truly is #1, why are they acting like #2?

One thing I have always loved about both Coke and McDonald's is that neither of them ever even acknowledge their lead rival in commercials. They just act like they don't even exist.

These spots make BR appear more scared than confident.
Old 11-21-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I agree. There are a lot better ways to promote your product than this type of marketing, which as you said, seems aimed at teens.
Though you'd kind of have to admit that viral marketing on youtube probably hits that demographic the most, so it would make kinda sense.
Old 11-21-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But the difference between Coke and Pepsi, is the fact the population has already accepted BOTH.
Old 11-21-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
But the difference between Coke and Pepsi, is the fact the population has already accepted BOTH.
Not QUITE all the population...

Old 11-21-07, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Very similar to what I was going to post. #2 always has to put down #1 to try to weasel their way into that spot (Burger King vs. McDonald's, Pepsi vs. Coke, etc.) by propaganda instead of a superior product. What's funny is that if BR truly is #1, why are they acting like #2?
Or similar to Ford and Nissan comparing their cars to the more popular Toyota and Honda.

FACT: if you have to bring up the competition in your ads, you're losing the battle.
Old 11-21-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<-----------------Owned Beta and VHS, 8 track and cassette, LP's and CD's, DVD and VHS, now; DVD, Blu Ray and HD DVD.

You're right. I bought Blu Ray first for the titles offered, I picked up HD DVD because the price was too good to pass up. Basically pay for 10 discs and get the player for free. Neither because of who owned what or said whatever about what other people did or didn't yada yada yada
Old 11-21-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Pepsi fucking blows.
Old 11-21-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Pepsi fucking blows.
Diet Coke... the soft drink of champions!
Old 11-21-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKobra
Why didn't they put a minidisc player in there?

Because nobody owned one.

Wasn't Beta technically the superior format, but it was mishandled. So even if Blu-Ray was superior, I guess it doesn't mean it will win.
Old 11-21-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
The population may have accepted both but Coke is and has always been the undisputed winner between the two. That's why Coke never calls attention to Pepsi and Pepsi constantly resorts to name-calling, making fun of, etc. Coca-Cola.

If you can't win on your product alone, resort to propaganda (but still lose).
Old 11-21-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Name calling doesn't bother me, but so called "viral" marketing does. There is something sleazy about something that is purported to be a consumer testimonial but is actually a paid ad. (If that's the case here)

Hiring someone to go on youtube and make a testimonial is akin to hiring someone to write Amazon customer reviews or epinions. Hopefully, these actually are just consumer videos.
Old 11-21-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Pepsi fucking blows.
Coke sucks hard. Though I do prefer Cherry Coke to Cherry Pepsi.
Old 11-21-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I buy whatever soda is on sale. And it's the same way with HD. People buy whatever is cheaper. They don't care about brand loyalty. Or most don't. Pepsi lovers would buy Coke if it was cheaper, and the same for Coke drinkers. You know who you are.
Old 11-21-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
People buy whatever is cheaper. They don't care about brand loyalty. Or most don't.
Really? Most of my friends and family are doggedly loyal to one brand of soda. I know I am. That's getting pretty off-topic, though.
Old 11-21-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Really? Most of my friends and family are doggedly loyal to one brand of soda. I know I am. That's getting pretty off-topic, though.
Dr. Pepper!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.