Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Playstation 3 (40GB $399 model) a good choice for me?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. I was thinking about purchasing the Playstation 3 ($399 model). I was just wondering if this is the best choice for me?

My wants: Strong blu-ray player; Playstation 3 game usage. I don't care about backwards compatibility with Playstation 2 games -- not important.

Are there any major video/audio differences between the 40GB and 80GB models? Will there be performance issues in the future: things the 80GB model can do in the future that the 40GB model can't?

Basically, I don't care about going backwards (PS2 compatibility), but I don't want to get shafted in the future with upgrades, video/audio differences, etc.

Are the only major differences the bigger hard drive and PS2 usage? Both things are unimportant to me as I'm a casual gamer anyway.

Thanks!

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 11-21-07 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-21-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the only things missing from the 40 GB that are in the 80 GB model are

40 GBs
CompactFlash®, SD Memory Card and Memory Stick Duo™ card slots
two USB ports
Backwards Compatibility

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/ProductDetails

enjoy the 40 GB ... it's a great piece of hardware
Old 11-21-07, 01:47 AM

Sorry, one final question?

Will this model play regular DVDs too? Does it play them well? This isn't a main reason for purchase, just curious?

Thanks again!

----------

Also, thanks for the info above.
Old 11-21-07, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It plays and upconverts SD-DVD's quite nicely.
Old 11-21-07, 07:41 AM
Banned

Also the 40GB does not play SACD.
Old 11-21-07, 07:47 AM

Huh so the ps3 acts as an upconverter as well. I wasn't sure about that.
Old 11-21-07, 07:58 AM

Are you planning on download alot of stuff? If so, you might want the 80.
Old 11-21-07, 08:29 AM

For the features you described as most important to you, the 40 gig is a great choice. I had the same wants/needs as you, and I recently picked one up. Whisper quiet and runs much cooler compared to my 360(which I love). If more hard drive space becomes necessary in the future, it is easy and relatively cheap to upgrade.

That being said, there seem to be a lot of sales going on and coming up where you may be able to get a good deal on the 80 gig if you want.
Old 11-21-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
AHE: You should be fine with the 40GB.
Old 11-21-07, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdoggie1977
Are you planning on download alot of stuff? If so, you might want the 80.
At this point even the 20GB is too much space if you plan on downloading anything from the PSN. While they do have some arcade games and demos, you would be perfectly fine with 20GB (or 40GB) as long as you don't plan on keeping every demo you download forever. My 20GB 360 HDD still has 8GB free and thats with buying 40+ XBL Games, several TV Shows, demos etc.

Keep in mind, at any time you can buy another HDD and just replace the 40GB with it. $100 for an extra 40GB of space....not worth it, especially if you have no plans on playing PS2 games.
Old 11-21-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got a 40gb PS3 and I'm quite happy. First new system I've bought in 5 years, and it's really slick, definitely feels like a "next-gen" product to me.

I love the ability to download game demos and movie trailers over my wireless network, the PS3 games I've tried so far are awesome, and I have about 10 bluray discs so far due to sales. And the controller is wireless!

And being format neutral has made my life easier.
Old 01-18-08, 03:32 PM

Thanks for this thread. I just got my bonus and am looking into buying a Blu-Ray player.

If I may tack on some questions to the OP's original:

Is the PS3 Blu-ray player a good player? Any known problems or performance issues? Is the video quality comparable to dedicated players?

For reference I have the Samsung LNT4661F 1080p LCD HDTV and a 5.1 receiver with built in DTS decoding.

Basically I'd like to know if I'm compromising my movie-watching experience by getting a PS3 instead of a dedicated player. (movies are more important than games to me).

Thanks to those who reply.
Old 01-18-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To your three questions: yes, no, yes

The only caveat I can see for you is that PS3 doesn't have 5.1 analog outs, unlike the standalones, so you'll need an receiver with HDMI to playback advanced audio like TrueHD. If not you will still get the core DD & DTS through optical. If that's not an issue and backward compatibility with PS2 games don't matter to you, you can pick up the 40GB model with no qualms.

I have the 80GB PS3 and two standalones and I'm hard-pressed to see PQ differences between them (though I still think my Panny BD-10 has the slightest edge). Speed and compatibility with newer extras are the pluses on the BD side for the PS3 vs. most current standalones.

Last edited by matome; 01-18-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shap
Thanks for this thread. I just got my bonus and am looking into buying a Blu-Ray player.

If I may tack on some questions to the OP's original:

Is the PS3 Blu-ray player a good player? Any known problems or performance issues? Is the video quality comparable to dedicated players?

For reference I have the Samsung LNT4661F 1080p LCD HDTV and a 5.1 receiver with built in DTS decoding.

Basically I'd like to know if I'm compromising my movie-watching experience by getting a PS3 instead of a dedicated player. (movies are more important than games to me).

Thanks to those who reply.
I just got a PS3 myself (will be setting it up and updating the firmware this weekend to the latest revision). From what I've read (and I've been reading a LOT about the PS3) it is among the best, if not the best Blu-Ray player out there right now. Keep in mind that it's the *only* Blu-Ray player available right now that is fully upgradeable to final spec Profile 2.0 as well.
Old 01-18-08, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shap
Read this:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=521838

Sony owes the sale of one 40GB PS3 bundle from Costco to that thread.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-18-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matome
. . .you'll need an receiver with HDMI to decode advanced audio like TrueHD.

Just to clarify, though, the decoding is done by the PS3, right? It's fed to the receiver via HDMI as PCM.
Old 01-18-08, 03:52 PM

what is the advantage of having the extra 2 USB ports and the card readers?
Old 01-18-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nothing, other than convenience. You could always plug in a USB card reader to the PS3.

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Just to clarify, though, the decoding is done by the PS3, right? It's fed to the receiver via HDMI as PCM.
Yeah, that's correct. I should've used the word playback instead.
Old 01-18-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Jane2001
what is the advantage of having the extra 2 USB ports and the card readers?
Can't speak about the card reader, but a game like Rock Band could potentially use 4 USB ports at once. The Special Edition comes with a mic, drum kit and guitar. The guitar has to connect to a USB wireless dongle, so that's three there. Presumably you get could get a second guitar to do the bass parts, so that would be four.
Old 01-18-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Read this:

Thanks everyone!
Mind if I ask how much it was? I was at my Costco the other day and their game display was gone. It's possible it was moved but I was curious about how much they were charging for a PS3.
Old 01-18-08, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Read this:

Thanks everyone!
Wow that thread is awesome. I searched for "Playstation" so I didn't even see it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by matone
The only caveat I can see for you is that PS3 doesn't have 5.1 analog outs, unlike the standalones, so you'll need an receiver with HDMI to playback advanced audio like TrueHD. If not you will still get the core DD & DTS through optical. If that's not an issue and backward compatibility with PS2 games don't matter to you, you can pick up the 40GB model with no qualms.
I don't have HDMI on my receiver but it does have an optical input. My sound setup isn't top of the line anyway so I can live with 5.1 until I invest in a new receiver and speakers.

Not interested in backwards compatibility. The most recent game system I have is a Nintendo 64

Originally Posted by yavin
Keep in mind that it's the *only* Blu-Ray player available right now that is fully upgradeable to final spec Profile 2.0 as well.
That's what my friend thought too so it's nice to hear confirmation.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Can't speak about the card reader, but a game like Rock Band could potentially use 4 USB ports at once. The Special Edition comes with a mic, drum kit and guitar. The guitar has to connect to a USB wireless dongle, so that's three there. Presumably you get could get a second guitar to do the bass parts, so that would be four.
Does the PS3 version not come with the powered 4 port USB hub like the 360 version?
Old 01-18-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Does the PS3 version not come with the powered 4 port USB hub like the 360 version?
No, they give you a wireless guitar instead.
Old 01-19-08, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by chubacabra
That being said, there seem to be a lot of sales going on and coming up where you may be able to get a good deal on the 80 gig if you want.
I'm looking at the purchase of one in the next month. What are these sales that you speak of?

Does anyone know if the 5 free Blu Ray promotion will be renewed after Jan 31?

And finally, I know the 65n processor is in the 40gb sku...does anyone know if it's made it's way to the 80gb sku?
Old 01-19-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
No, they give you a wireless guitar instead.
Interesting. I had no idea that was the case. It looks like there is a 4 port hub (not from Nyko, Pelican, etc., but from the game's manufacturer) available for $25, and it looks a bit nicer than the one that came with the Xbox 360 version. Then again, would any cheap USB hub made for computers work, too?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.