Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Movies on HD ?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Movies on HD ?

Old 11-20-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek Movies on HD ?

With today's release of S1 of TOS on HD and S2 marked with a March 08' release date, does anyone think we'll see the feature films in HD in 08'?

I watched Generations today and can see how positively stunning these features will be once they are available on HD.
Old 11-20-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd think it would be either when the new film is released next Christmas or when it is released on video in 2009.
Old 11-20-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
I'd think it would be either when the new film is released next Christmas or when it is released on video in 2009.
Either way, it's definitely a long time from now.
Old 11-20-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You never know. It might be sooner if the season sets sell well.
Old 11-20-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
There's a new ST movie coming? I thought that after the fiasco that was ST 10, they had retired the franchise. Guess I'm out of touch.
Old 11-20-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
There's a new ST movie coming? I thought that after the fiasco that was ST 10, they had retired the franchise. Guess I'm out of touch.
There is a new ST movie, but it's not what you'd call a conventional ST movie...

http://forums.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=462941
Old 11-20-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Thanks. I hadn't realized that that rumored project was actually moving forward.
Old 11-20-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They should release the films on HD-DVD next year, one a month from February to November as build up for the new theatrical release in December!
(I know, wishful thinking, but damn, do I want me some HD Trek flicks!!)
Old 11-21-07, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
They should release the films on HD-DVD next year, one a month from February to November as build up for the new theatrical release in December!
(I know, wishful thinking, but damn, do I want me some HD Trek flicks!!)

That may not be too far fetched. Didn't they release the SE's in this kind of order (or similar fashion) lst year or so?
Old 11-21-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
That may not be too far fetched. Didn't they release the SE's in this kind of order (or similar fashion) lst year or so?
No, unfortunately not that fast at all:
ST2 - 8/6/02
ST3 - 10/22/02
ST4 - 3/4/03
ST5 - 10/14/03
ST6 - 1/27/04
ST7 - 9/28/04
ST8 - 3/15/05
ST9 - 6/7/05
ST10 - 10/4/05

It took them just over three years to re-release all nine movies as 2-disc special editions.....the first film was only released once on 11/6/01 as a 2-disc SE to begin with...
Old 11-22-07, 08:28 PM

Wow. i don't remember them taking quite so long to shoot those out. It does suck that they may stay true to form and do the same kind of piece-meal-ing with the HD versions. I guess my SD SE's will have to suffice until...
Old 11-25-07, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
Wow. i don't remember them taking quite so long to shoot those out. It does suck that they may stay true to form and do the same kind of piece-meal-ing with the HD versions. I guess my SD SE's will have to suffice until...
I wouldn't be surprised to have and HD edition next year. There will not be a Bluray release in the US due to Microsofts payment to Paramount which prohibits them from bluray manufacturing in the US (will be interesting to see if they work around this in foreign markets).

Though Paramount did have a phased rollout of special editions for trek, lets not forget that paramount was quick to release trek on DVD. The phased rollout however suffered from paramounts continued sabotage of trek, or disregard for fans, however you want to look at it. In anyevent the phased rollout suffered from a deteriorating quality with each release. By the time they got ST V, I had to wonder why anyone would bother upgrading. In fairness, ST 2 and 3 were decent upgrades.

At least they release something and for that i'm happy.... (glad i'm not a star wars fan)
I'll have to wait to see what they do in the foreign markets as I don't plan to support 2 formats. I've gone bluray.

I think a remastered HD of ST:TMP would be great, and the film is in desparate need Totally under rated IMHO.
Old 11-25-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some HD KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! is essential to life.
Old 11-25-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FaustBos
I wouldn't be surprised to have and HD edition next year. There will not be a Bluray release in the US due to Microsofts payment to Paramount which prohibits them from bluray manufacturing in the US (will be interesting to see if they work around this in foreign markets)...
While you are correct that Paramount is HD DVD exclusive for now, you are clearly misinformed as to the details of Paramount's move and reasons for it. You might want to dig up and read the threads on the subject from August, when the move was made, before posting such inflammatory nonsense.
Old 11-26-07, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
While you are correct that Paramount is HD DVD exclusive for now, you are clearly misinformed as to the details of Paramount's move and reasons for it. You might want to dig up and read the threads on the subject from August, when the move was made, before posting such inflammatory nonsense.
Agreed. His response was worded in a way that almost asked for a negative reply.