Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A few words...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

A few words...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think the forum will move back to the discussion of the most important things, the movies. I think we'll see more talk about actual films and less about BD selling 100 more copies than HD DVD of a specific title in Europe.
I don't agree with that. He posted articles about BD advancement in technology from other parts of the world that I wasn't aware of and I usually hit 3 or 4 hi-def sites a day. Most of the disagreements happened with people disagreeing NOT with him but the article and started lashing out at him as if he wrote the article.
Old 11-20-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think the forum will move back to the discussion of the most important things, the movies. I think we'll see more talk about actual films and less about BD selling 100 more copies than HD DVD of a specific title in Europe.
I agree. I pretty much have avoided that post for the past couple weeks. Basically, Pro-B posts something then there are 3 other posts criticizing it. That doesn't happen in the HD-DVD thread. Even when there are arguments they are usually resolved peacefully.

And while there are certainly members that have expressed their preferred format, none of them went to the extent that Pro-B did.

Pro-B, you've opened up my eyes to some great international films and I'm grateful for that. In another thread you said you were a fan of movies not the medium. Why punish yourself with your faith when you could be enjoying all the films available?

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 11-20-07 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do enjoy the final slap at Josh Z in this "heartfelt" farewell post.
Old 11-20-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

youtoo?
Old 11-20-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The funny thing about a farewell thread, you have to come back to read the responses.

ibtl
Old 11-20-07, 10:01 PM

Thanks Pro-B. You have been an inspiration to me on the selection of movies to own/watch. See you as usual in the International Section. Can't wait to get a review of the Seventh Seal Tartan release.
Old 11-20-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by DamingR
Excellent points. I wish all the annoying pro-format people would go away. Unless you are being paid by Toshiba or Sony, I do not understand how any consumer could get SO WRAPPED UP in a "format war." It's not a war, folks, it's just two different media devices. If you like one more than the other, vote with your wallet and enjoy getting half the films in high definition.

I personally enjoy watching great films that I love in HD - who gives a shit what color the box is that they come in. It's the same reason I came here in 1999 - I just want to watch great movies in the best quality possible.

If two billion dollar multinational companies want to have a pissing match, so be it. There's nothing an average consumer can do about it, and behaving like a petulant child on internet message boards isn't going to change the fact that there are currently two formats. Do you really think the CEOs of these companies give a rat's ass what anyone on this message board thinks? No, they only care about the bottom line.
Oh, how I agree with this post.
Old 11-20-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I caught this late so I'll post before it is eventually locked.

I personally have not sent him any derogatory comments, nor at anytime reported him to the mods for any reason whatsoever. I hope he knows this as we have certainly been back and forth in our posts throughout multiple threads over the last year or so.

Pro-B is one of the most intelligent posters on this site, regardless if I agree with him or not.
Old 11-20-07, 11:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I agree with a few posts here but I will add a few of mine own...

I have never once PMed Pro-B. He did however PM me several months ago to pretty much say if I disagreed with him that I should communicate with him via PMs vs. replying to his posts in the threads. I thought that was weird so I forwarded his message to a mod and never really posted about. Sorry, but shame on anyone if they are PMing and harassing him (which I don't really believe) as that is something I have no intentions of ever doing to any member. However his motives were questionable considering his 100% Pro-Blu posting. Nothing positive was ever posted about HD DVD and he would back up rumors as if they were facts proven by him IIRC.

His Pro-Blu stance is just too much. Nothing negative can ever be said about the format, and if so, its because the said poster is an HD DVD zealot. While I prefer HD DVD, I also own a Blu-ray player and have 40+ discs. Translating news articles that briefly mention Blu-ray in a positive light is just not needed. Does anyone really care that Iceland sold 50 Blu-ray discs last week while HD DVD sold 25? No. Plenty of times I have come across interesting HD DVD articles...but I don't think anyone would care so I simply didn't post it.

Too many times he has "confirmed" news when in fact it was rumors from his "source". Possibly the same sources that were run off AVS for being wrong too many times and having no way to back up their "rumors". This includes promising all stand alone 1.0 players could be upgraded to 1.1 (false), confirming Spider-Man 3 numbers (false), and more recently the Die Hard Unrated posts where he can claimed the issue was already addressed which in fact it was only TDB (100% Pro-Blu site) who discussed it months prior. Many people here had no idea why an uncut version was not released (due to lack of time, production issues etc), however we know Fox was able to have an Unrated DVD version available as well as an unrated Blu-ray version available in Australia.

For someone that loves international movies it puzzles me why he would not own an HD DVD player as their are many movies available overseas in HD that are not available on either Blu-ray or HD DVD here, nor any chances of them every coming out. Why not pick up a $99 HD DVD player just to watch those movies?

What bugs me the most is that we apparently can't post anything negative about Blu-ray in the general Blu-ray thread according to him. While I understand posting "blu-ray sucks!!! hd dvd rules" would be wrong, discussing things like all stand alones not being able to play certain features should be discussed. Many people will be getting into a format this Holiday season and they won't know anything about the profile mess etc. Just look at this forum in the past few weeks. We have several new HD members pop up with questions that seem so duhh to us, but to them, its new. Upconverting through HDMI? C'mon, who dosnt know that? Can't upconvert over Component? HD DVD being region free ONLY to HD DVD movies not DVDs? We know the answers...but they don't. Thread crapping in the Blu-ray thread with things like "A2 Fire sale" is just asking for trouble.

With that, I'm done. Ive tried to be as nice as possible and have always attacked the posts, not the poster. While Ive had a moderator in a thread say "cool it" or "thats enough", Ive never been PMed regarding anything, suspended, or had a post of mine edited.

Pro-B, I really wish you the best. I don't think leaving the entire forum is the right thing to do, just cool down on the Pro-Blu posts and at least try to reason a little. You love Blu-ray, we got it, but there are also 800k+ HD DVD owners out there and many of us own Blu-ray as well.
Old 11-20-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Maybe DVD Talk Reviewers should not involve themselves to the degree Pro-B has. Not that he's wrong or right, but he got too involved for a high-profile DVD Talk contributor. We have a lot of smart guys on here who can get way too wound up. It's easy to do. So, maybe Geoff needs to think about how high-profile writers or anyone involved with DVD Talk as a mod or contributor, be automatically disqualified from discussions. This should be SOP. If a person wants to participate in discussions more than modding, they need to renounce their mod status. Same with being a contributor.

Pro-B is a very knowledgable guy, and I give him 's for this. It takes a lot of dedication to do what he does. At the same time, I completely understand his stance on Blu-ray. It's very hard to just sit back and let someone fire a salvo post at your favorite product/brand. We do take our chosen products to heart. That's why we chose them. While I may not understand Pro-B's choice completely (as I currently favor HD DVD), I do respect it.
Old 11-21-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just for the record, I never PMed him about anything.

Last edited by chanster; 11-21-07 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-21-07, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I agree with a few posts here but I will add a few of mine own...

I have never once PMed Pro-B. He did however PM me several months ago to pretty much say if I disagreed with him that I should communicate with him via PMs vs. replying to his posts in the threads. I thought that was weird so I forwarded his message to a mod and never really posted about. Sorry, but shame on anyone if they are PMing and harassing him (which I don't really believe) as that is something I have no intentions of ever doing to any member. However his motives were questionable considering his 100% Pro-Blu posting. Nothing positive was ever posted about HD DVD and he would back up rumors as if they were facts proven by him IIRC.

His Pro-Blu stance is just too much. Nothing negative can ever be said about the format, and if so, its because the said poster is an HD DVD zealot. While I prefer HD DVD, I also own a Blu-ray player and have 40+ discs. Translating news articles that briefly mention Blu-ray in a positive light is just not needed. Does anyone really care that Iceland sold 50 Blu-ray discs last week while HD DVD sold 25? No. Plenty of times I have come across interesting HD DVD articles...but I don't think anyone would care so I simply didn't post it.

Too many times he has "confirmed" news when in fact it was rumors from his "source". Possibly the same sources that were run off AVS for being wrong too many times and having no way to back up their "rumors". This includes promising all stand alone 1.0 players could be upgraded to 1.1 (false), confirming Spider-Man 3 numbers (false), and more recently the Die Hard Unrated posts where he can claimed the issue was already addressed which in fact it was only TDB (100% Pro-Blu site) who discussed it months prior. Many people here had no idea why an uncut version was not released (due to lack of time, production issues etc), however we know Fox was able to have an Unrated DVD version available as well as an unrated Blu-ray version available in Australia.

For someone that loves international movies it puzzles me why he would not own an HD DVD player as their are many movies available overseas in HD that are not available on either Blu-ray or HD DVD here, nor any chances of them every coming out. Why not pick up a $99 HD DVD player just to watch those movies?

What bugs me the most is that we apparently can't post anything negative about Blu-ray in the general Blu-ray thread according to him. While I understand posting "blu-ray sucks!!! hd dvd rules" would be wrong, discussing things like all stand alones not being able to play certain features should be discussed. Many people will be getting into a format this Holiday season and they won't know anything about the profile mess etc. Just look at this forum in the past few weeks. We have several new HD members pop up with questions that seem so duhh to us, but to them, its new. Upconverting through HDMI? C'mon, who dosnt know that? Can't upconvert over Component? HD DVD being region free ONLY to HD DVD movies not DVDs? We know the answers...but they don't. Thread crapping in the Blu-ray thread with things like "A2 Fire sale" is just asking for trouble.

With that, I'm done. Ive tried to be as nice as possible and have always attacked the posts, not the poster. While Ive had a moderator in a thread say "cool it" or "thats enough", Ive never been PMed regarding anything, suspended, or had a post of mine edited.

Pro-B, I really wish you the best. I don't think leaving the entire forum is the right thing to do, just cool down on the Pro-Blu posts and at least try to reason a little. You love Blu-ray, we got it, but there are also 800k+ HD DVD owners out there and many of us own Blu-ray as well.
Is that anything like your obvious pro-HD-DVD bias that seemingly comes through everything you write about BD?
Old 11-21-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOW IT SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!

We have gone from complaining about what he stated to attaching each other. Isnt this why he left in the first place?

This is like fighting at a funeral.
Old 11-21-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't trust you. Mainly because those weren't a few words.
Old 11-21-07, 12:29 AM
Banned

I call bullshit on the PM attacks. Only because 99% of dvdtalkers don't even know about the PM function.
Old 11-21-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
We have gone from complaining about what he stated to attaching each other.
For the record, I've never attached anyone.
Old 11-21-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow. I can sympathize with Pro-B to a point, but I wouldn't let a handful of losers get to me that much, it's only a friggin' message board. Oh well, happy trails Pro-B!
Old 11-21-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
For the record, I've never attached anyone.
This is why English sometimes is not the best language.
Old 11-21-07, 03:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok...clearly this thread is running its course, and it's close enough to the 24 hour mark that namja set that I have no problems closing it.

Pro-B, we'll miss you, come back anytime.