Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter Limited Edition Giftset Years 1-5 question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Harry Potter Limited Edition Giftset Years 1-5 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobLutter
People wanting to spend more $$$ for less content just to fit DVDs on a shelf still boggle my mind.
More dollars? I paid $17.45 for HP5 HD DVD and will likely be able to pick up the others for $10-$15 each in the next couple of months. I could buy them for $16.71 each today, but think I'll wait.

Less content? If I want to watch the bonus disc I can Netflix it for $2.50. It is hardly the sort of thing that I would ever want to watch twice. And I don't have to fuss with awkward packaging and extra toys that are of no interest to me. If I had children at home, sure, it would be different. But I just want to have the movies on my shelf to watch once in awhile because I am a fan of books (which are superior to the movies in every respect, IMO).

I'm not a "collector" and never buy DVDs in order to get the special promotions that some stores give away to entice customers. I have enough clutter in my life without more "stuff" that is useless to me.

If you want the toybox and extra disc, great. Have fun with it. But don't expect everyone to think precisely as you do. That's why Warner Bros. offers a choice!

Last edited by lizard; 12-14-07 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Err, one little mistake... if you do have the trunk set, please please don't give the bookmark pins to the kids (one of the bookmark pin is sharp). They are certainly not toys... And if you're worried about shelf space, you can discard the case and insert and use a dvd/cd binder Again, to each of his/her own.
Old 12-14-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, since Ocelot paid $13 per movie vs Lizard paid $17.45 and probably gonna pay $15 for the others, Ocelot wins
Old 12-14-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^If you got the set for $65 you do, indeed, win. Congratulations!

Hmm, I guess I have to hold out for a BOGOF sale on HP1-4 and get them for $10 to stay in the competition...
Old 12-14-07, 02:03 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
The bookmarks were much more substantial that I was expecting, one is a pewter sword that is around 4 inches long, the remaining also have a bit of heft to them. I haven't taken a look at the bonus disc or the game yet.

I do find it odd that there is different packaging sizes for the first 2 movies versus the last 3 though, there really isn't any possible explanation for it.
Old 12-14-07, 02:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
shorter books = shorter cases?

I have no idea...
Old 12-14-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
The bookmarks were much more substantial that I was expecting, one is a pewter sword that is around 4 inches long, the remaining also have a bit of heft to them. I haven't taken a look at the bonus disc or the game yet.

I do find it odd that there is different packaging sizes for the first 2 movies versus the last 3 though, there really isn't any possible explanation for it.
yeah, i was scratching my head about that as well... perhaps they want to make the set look more "real" (i.e. not all books in the school are same size). Also, if there are two short books and three taller books, somehow the book strap make sense? I really don't know... The trunk set totally screw the idea of uniformity. However, since the contents are in the trunk, i guess i can live with that
Old 12-14-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
^If you got the set for $65 you do, indeed, win. Congratulations!

Hmm, I guess I have to hold out for a BOGOF sale on HP1-4 and get them for $10 to stay in the competition...
you know, most likely that's gonna happen, and when it does, Lizard beats Ocelot...

Actually, i find the idea buying individual movies is fairly smart. Not only you select to buy the favorite HP movie first, but also counting uniformity and future BOGO promotions. Of course, no bonuses for you is the only drawback...
Old 12-14-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I grabbed the set from BN for $65.xx, plus I had a GC so I got the set for dirt cheap. Was well worth it for me, I love the extras and the unique case.
Old 12-15-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tonight, I picked up the individual movies on Blu for $18 a piece at Walmart. BB didn't have the set plus I don't think it would have fit on my dvd shelf. I haven't watched them yet, but I think I'll be happy with my decision. Plus, I'll get to sell 1-3 on dvd.
Old 12-15-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched Goblet of Fire tonight on HD-DVD...amazing pq.
Old 12-15-07, 03:42 AM
Suspended

Got my confirmation from Warner and I ordered last week, so much for them not shippin it on time
Old 12-15-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDogg
Got my confirmation from Warner and I ordered last week, so much for them not shippin it on time
Me too. Looks like they may back to normal.
Old 12-16-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing I like about the set (I have the Blu-Ray) is that it has the dimensions on one side of a Blu-Ray (or HD DVD) case. Placing it on my shelf with the two hinges down, it fits in line perfectly with the rest of my Blu-Rays.

BTW, watched Order of the Phoenix yesterday - outstanding! Especially the fire snake and glass shards sequences.
Old 12-16-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
The thing I like about the set (I have the Blu-Ray) is that it has the dimensions on one side of a Blu-Ray (or HD DVD) case. Placing it on my shelf with the two hinges down, it fits in line perfectly with the rest of my Blu-Rays.

BTW, watched Order of the Phoenix yesterday - outstanding! Especially the fire snake and glass shards sequences.

I so want to watch this but my girl friend is hounding me to finish the book first.
Old 12-17-07, 10:27 AM

Yeah, finish the book. Then you can mentally fill in the stuff that didn't make it into the film (a lot....it's a big book) and it'll make more sense.
Old 12-17-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pmreed
Yeah, finish the book. Then you can mentally fill in the stuff that didn't make it into the film (a lot....it's a big book) and it'll make more sense.

Yea, I think I will but I want to see the HD greatness
Old 12-17-07, 12:59 PM

I received the 1-5 gift set blu-ray. Warner put day four in HDDVD in mistake, so I tried the HDDVD. To my surprise, The special features in that one is in HD mode, 1080i!

I tried the blu-ray, day one, it's 480p.

Can anyone buy HDDVD check if all "five days" special feature are in HD?
Old 12-17-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got the HD-DVD set today, and I am REALLY glad I went for this one ($82 after tax and shipping at wherehouse.com a few weeks ago - $16 each).

The locks are nice and the extras are really great - as previously mentioned, the bookmarks are MUCH better than I expected - nice metallic and very cool in a hard box. The cards are about what you would expect. I am also wondering why the movie "books" aren't all the same and would have preferred them all to be the larger size, but they are also very cool, each with a unique design and embossing. The DVD game also has its own packaging and looks interesting.

The bonus DVD looks to have real content in its 3 hours. For those who were curious like me, here is the index for the disc (10 features):

Movie One - A Glimpse into the World of Harry Potter
Movie Two - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets....Revealed
Movie Three - HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Making of HP & PA, An Interview in Spanish with Alfonso Cuaron
Movie Four - HP & GF Behind the Magic, HP & GF Some Animal Magic, and HP & GF Dark Matters New Masters
Movie Five - HP & OP The Rebellion Begins, HP & OP Fulfilling a Prophecy

Great Set WB!!
Old 12-17-07, 10:50 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone else who ordered the Blu-Ray set from WHV get Goblet of Fire as an HD DVD in the box set? I ordered the BD box set last week, UPS delivered it today and sure enough got the one HD DVD in the set. If this has happened to anyone else have you tried contacting Warners? I hate to send the whole set back, I mean I DO have an HD DVD player but I'd like the set to be consistent.
Old 12-17-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by lawdood
Anyone else who ordered the Blu-Ray set from WHV get Goblet of Fire as an HD DVD in the box set? I ordered the BD box set last week, UPS delivered it today and sure enough got the one HD DVD in the set. If this has happened to anyone else have you tried contacting Warners? I hate to send the whole set back, I mean I DO have an HD DVD player but I'd like the set to be consistent.
Apparently people over on the CAG (CheapAssGamer) forums have been having the same problems. One member contacted Warner:

**Courtesy of TayaF69 CAG**

I have three friends who ordered the Blu-Ray version and all received HD-DVD Goblet of Fires. I called WB today to cancel my order (unfortunately it already shipped), but they told me that there is a very large error ratio and apparently if affects 70% of their box sets. They said it's even some stand alone versions as well. There is no word on how they will handle this, but they told my friends to wait another week and call back. That is complete BS. The lady I talked to told me to refuse shipment and they will give me a full refund. Looks like I'm buying the stand alone disks and praying they get it right. This just proves that stupidity behind two formats. I hope they lose a lot of sleep over this!

Also, for the person who wanted contact info, 1800-364-6928 is the number. They have really nice customer service reps, but be prepared to wait awhile.

Old 12-18-07, 01:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Me too. Looks like they may back to normal.
yup got mine this morning
Old 12-18-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Lordy, am I the only one who is getting this set just for the movies?

I got in on the B&N/MasterCard dealio back in September and preordered this for a net of 60% off. My total out of pocket cost was $54.12, shipped, after using a couple of Gift Cards that were lying around the house. (linky)

I really don't care about the box, or the trading cards, or the bubble gum, or the magic wand, or the pouch of lint from Emma Watson's belly button, or any the rest of the stuff.... I just want the movies, and ~$11 each for 5 HD DVD movies seems like a good price.
Got my box set yesterday. As memtioned earlier I don't give a whit about any of the extras except for the 5 HD movies themselves. My boy will be getting the box with the trading cards included... he'll probably take it up to his playroom and fill it with junk. The bookmarks are kinda nice, and since Mom is reading HP4 to the boy right now I think she's planning to use them in the books themselves. I took all of the discs out and moved them to new packaging... the 5 HD movies are now sitting in cases I got from SleeveTown several weeks ago, and I printed new cover art for them that I downloaded from R1DB.com. The bonus DVD and the DVD Game are in a double slimpack. All the rest of the stuff went in the rubbish bin.

HP fans will be thrilled with all the packaging and doo-dads, I'm certain. I'm just glad I found a use for most of the stuff that came in the box.
Old 12-18-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i checked my BD set and all of the movie discs are labeled BDs (i haven't play any yet)... i didn't even know there's a mistake in the set.

Kenbuzz, well, for $54.12, you certainly got it cheaper than most of us

but factoring the sleeves and covers, heehee, that put you around the $65 mark. However, giving the extras to people appreciate them, priceless

Well done, now let's just enjoy HP movies in HD
Old 12-20-07, 10:42 AM

Does the special features in HP 1-3 in HD 1080i? Thank you!

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Got my box set yesterday. As memtioned earlier I don't give a whit about any of the extras except for the 5 HD movies themselves. My boy will be getting the box with the trading cards included... he'll probably take it up to his playroom and fill it with junk. The bookmarks are kinda nice, and since Mom is reading HP4 to the boy right now I think she's planning to use them in the books themselves. I took all of the discs out and moved them to new packaging... the 5 HD movies are now sitting in cases I got from SleeveTown several weeks ago, and I printed new cover art for them that I downloaded from R1DB.com. The bonus DVD and the DVD Game are in a double slimpack. All the rest of the stuff went in the rubbish bin.

HP fans will be thrilled with all the packaging and doo-dads, I'm certain. I'm just glad I found a use for most of the stuff that came in the box.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.