DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   HD-A3: Diasable HDMI Audio? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/517690-hd-a3-diasable-hdmi-audio.html)

jonw9 11-19-07 10:39 AM

HD-A3: Diasable HDMI Audio?

Is it possible to turn off the audio via the HDMI on the A3? I am using the optical to an older receiver, and the audio still play via the TV as well.

I know I can just turn the TV down, but it is just another step in the process. I was able to disable this in my Oppo (I am pretty sure) but I don't know about the Toshiba.

I considered picking an Audio format my TV wouldn't understand, but that seems like playing with fire.

The Bus 11-19-07 10:42 AM

Don't you use your receiver to listen to the TV audio?

I have my TV audio down to 0.

steebo777 11-19-07 10:45 AM

Isn't the option right in the Audio section of the setup menu?

jonw9 11-19-07 10:52 AM

I didn't see it in the manual, just auto or other options.

I don't usually use the receiver for regular TV, and if I can't turn the speakers off for a single input, but only for all at once.

chanster 11-19-07 01:33 PM

I wish there was, I had the same problem with my Samsung Plasma..I even had to hit the "internal mute" button because regular mute displays an icon on the screen

Drexl 11-19-07 06:06 PM

If you select PCM for the HDMI out, the player should decode every multichannel track to multichannel PCM, which your TV may not understand. Be careful to have the volume turned down at first, just in case you get noise.

The Bus 11-19-07 06:11 PM

Hook up your STB to the receiver.

jonw9 11-19-07 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Hook up your STB to the receiver.

Are you talking my dish box? I have that run to the TV via HDMI, and the receiver via toslink.

This is the same set-up for my A3.

It is just easier to watch TV through the TV.

danicus007 11-20-07 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jonw9
Are you talking my dish box? I have that run to the TV via HDMI, and the receiver via toslink.

This is the same set-up for my A3.

It is just easier to watch TV through the TV.

What he is saying is if you have your Dish Box connected to the receiver via Toslink then why is your TV volume being used at all? Watching TV is going through your receiver at this point so your TV volume should be set to 0.

jonw9 11-20-07 09:22 AM

TV audio goes through the HDMI for normal TV viewing.

I use the receiver for movies and sporting events.
I don't think 5.1 is necessary for Scrubs and Survivor.

Drexl 11-20-07 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by danicus007
What he is saying is if you have your Dish Box connected to the receiver via Toslink then why is your TV volume being used at all? Watching TV is going through your receiver at this point so your TV volume should be set to 0.

Some people want to just watch TV (or at least things where good sound isn't critical like the news or talk shows) using the TV speakers, despite having a connected receiver.

Edit: as he said above before I posted.

danicus007 11-20-07 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Some people want to just watch TV (or at least things where good sound isn't critical like the news or talk shows) using the TV speakers, despite having a connected receiver.

Edit: as he said above before I posted.

That's fine, I saw his reply as well and that is the case in his situation. Shows like Scrubs or Survivor might not be in 5.1 but at least you can have the receiver re-mix the 2.0 or spread the audio to all 5 channels. No big deal, if he wants to listen through the TVs speakers that's his prerogative. I put everything through my receiver, but that's just my preference. I was just pointing out that most people here probably go through their receiver for everything.

BuddhaWake 11-20-07 02:40 PM

sorry for the stupid question but I'm thinking of picking up this player but my receiver's optical audio input acts weird sometimes and I rather not use it and it doesn't have HDMI. Is there a way to use coaxial digital input to play the audio through rather than rca plugs? sorry for the stupid newb question.

jonw9 11-20-07 04:22 PM

I checked the manual to be sure, but there is no output for digital coax.

I also tried changing the HDMI audio format from "Auto" to "PCM" and my tv still played the sound.

Drexl 11-20-07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
sorry for the stupid question but I'm thinking of picking up this player but my receiver's optical audio input acts weird sometimes and I rather not use it and it doesn't have HDMI. Is there a way to use coaxial digital input to play the audio through rather than rca plugs? sorry for the stupid newb question.

It doesn't have a coaxial output, but you could buy a converter. Monoprice has them (though it's back ordered now): http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

BuddhaWake 12-03-07 10:17 PM

sorry to bump this but I got another question. so I got my A3 hooked it up through HDMI to my pani TH50PX600U, i got the same problem as the op. no biggie, just turn the tv volume to zero although is one of those things but anyway, my question is this. Like I mentioned before my receiver doesn't have hdmi so I got the coverter but I didn't like the way it sounded. Is there such a thing as a digital coaxial splitter? to like connect 2 dvd players through the same coaxial input on the receiver? now my real question is this. like I said I didn't like the audio so I decided to run it as follow. hdmi to tv and tv out via toslink to receiver (my toslink is sensitive as I mentioned before). Now the problem is that the audio shows up on my receiver as stereo sound or as dolby digital stereo. Is this right? why won't my receiver recognize it as surround sound? (5 speakers showin) I tried with the different outputs on the A3 but nothing. Any help or explanation is truely appreciated.

jonw9 12-04-07 07:21 AM

Most times the output from a TV is only stereo, not surround. I believe my Mits. is the same way.

As for splitting coax, you can use a passive "y-type" splitter, although adding connections may degrade the sound a bit.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

BuddhaWake 12-04-07 07:28 AM

thanks for the reply. is weird because with HD channels via cable it recognizes the surround and all 5 speakers show up. I was using one of those spliters I might just go back to it then. it just seems that the center channel is the worse off.