DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   PS3 40 Gig (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/517619-ps3-40-gig.html)

supe32978 11-18-07 04:48 PM

PS3 40 Gig

Going to pick up a PS3 to use for gaming and also as a Blu-Ray player. I know the 40gig isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games, but that is not an issue. Does the Blu-Ray player perform as well on the 40gig or is there some difference?

dsa_shea 11-18-07 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by supe32978
Going to pick up a PS3 to use for gaming and also as a Blu-Ray player. I know the 40gig isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games, but that is not an issue. Does the Blu-Ray player perform as well on the 40gig or is there some difference?

It will perform exactly the same. Hope that helps! :)

Gizmo 11-18-07 04:53 PM

Wal-Mart will give you 10 free Blu-ray movies on Black Friday. Go there!

Drexl 11-18-07 06:31 PM

BTW, does anyone know why they made the 40GB system incompatible with PS2 games? I understand they removed the chip (the pretentiously-named "Emotion Engine") because that's hardware and it saves on costs, but don't they have software emulation? Why leave that out? I don't think it's licensed and they want to save on royalties. What do they have to gain by not copying that software to the hard drives in these systems?

Are they really afraid that people are going to buy a PS3 and not buy PS3 games to play on it? That's just like people buying an HDTV and not having HD programming/media. Oh, wait...

Engel07 11-18-07 06:38 PM

Camp out out Walmart on Friday and get 15 movies w/ the 80 GB PS3.

As for your question, the blu-ray player is probably the best blu-ray player out in the market today :). You won't be disappointed. I have had mine for a year now...and no issues at all...play every discs fine.

Oh, you get to download free demo games and movie trailers that will keep you busy for awhile :)

Originally Posted by supe32978

Engel07 11-18-07 06:47 PM

my guess..

-they're still selling PS2 units standalone
-i have both PS2 and PS3, and I don't even bother touching any of the PS2 games or unit. I want to play High Definition games now, not PS2 games.
-if one must play PS2 games on a PS3, then adding another 100 to get the 80 GB system is all it takes.
-they're trying to make the system as cheap as they can for the consumers.

Are we going to see a $299 PS3 that includes a game system and a blu-ray player? You betcha...probably next year. I'm sure Sony has their reason behind their strategy.

Originally Posted by Drexl
BTW, does anyone know why they made the 40GB system incompatible with PS2 games? I understand they removed the chip (the pretentiously-named "Emotion Engine") because that's hardware and it saves on costs, but don't they have software emulation? Why leave that out? I don't think it's licensed and they want to save on royalties. What do they have to gain by not copying that software to the hard drives in these systems?

Are they really afraid that people are going to buy a PS3 and not buy PS3 games to play on it? That's just like people buying an HDTV and not having HD programming/media. Oh, wait...

Drexl 11-18-07 07:47 PM

Well, as I said, I don't see how it cuts costs at all. The software is already there for emulation. Perhaps they just don't want to update it with new games?

I suppose they want to wean people off of PS2 games, or maybe they just want you to get a PS2 if you want to play those games. That way, they still get $500.

Gizmo 11-18-07 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, as I said, I don't see how it cuts costs at all. The software is already there for emulation. Perhaps they just don't want to update it with new games?

I suppose they want to wean people off of PS2 games, or maybe they just want you to get a PS2 if you want to play those games. That way, they still get $500.

The 60GB and 20GB have 2 chips that allow 99% PS2 BC. The 80GB uses software emulation and 1 of 2 chips required for PS2 game playback for about 75%-85% (?) emulation. The 40GB does not have either of the 2 chips making it impossible IIRC.

Drexl 11-18-07 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The 60GB and 20GB have 2 chips that allow 99% PS2 BC. The 80GB uses software emulation and 1 of 2 chips required for PS2 game playback for about 75%-85% (?) emulation. The 40GB does not have either of the 2 chips making it impossible IIRC.

Okay, thanks!

Giles 11-18-07 10:38 PM

damn and I just bought one two weeks ago - should have held out.

advdfreak 11-19-07 12:19 AM

This could be a stupid question but I will ask, Is it possible to burn an ISO image from a PS3 firmware 2.0 file to a CD-R and update my ps3 that way like my HD-DVD player? If so, can someone direct me how to do it and where to download the update? I have the PS3UPDAT.PUP file saved if that helps. Thanks!

Drexl 11-19-07 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by advdfreak
This could be a stupid question but I will ask, Is it possible to burn an ISO image from a PS3 firmware 2.0 file to a CD-R and update my ps3 that way like my HD-DVD player? If so, can someone direct me how to do it and where to download the update? I have the PS3UPDAT.PUP file saved if that helps. Thanks!

I think you can just put it on a CD, no ISO needed. However, I find it easier to just use a USB flash drive. If you have the system with the card readers you can use those too.

mike2 11-19-07 08:05 AM

I had no idea that the 40gb ps3 didn't play ps2 games but that really dosen't bother me all that much.

In everyones opinion if you want to go bluray is a ps3 your best bet? I'm trying to figure out what to do etc. What is this walmart black friday deal with 10 dvd's. Anyone have a link for that? thanks

darkside 11-19-07 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mike2
I had no idea that the 40gb ps3 didn't play ps2 games but that really dosen't bother me all that much.

In everyones opinion if you want to go bluray is a ps3 your best bet? I'm trying to figure out what to do etc. What is this walmart black friday deal with 10 dvd's. Anyone have a link for that? thanks

I would recommend the PS3. The playback quality is top notch and Sony will keep updating it as Blu-ray gets updated. That does not seem to be true of all Blu-ray players.

mike2 11-19-07 09:53 AM

It just feels like a better deal. Best buy has the players for over $500 why not save $100 and play a few games on the side?

Mopower 11-19-07 10:47 AM

I think it's funny that the 40gb version can't play PS2 games yet it allows you to create a PS2 memory card slot on the hard drive under memory card options.