HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battlestar Galactica Season 1 reviews??

Old 11-14-07, 11:28 AM

Battlestar Galactica Season 1 reviews??

Anyone know of some reviews??
Old 11-14-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Waiting for this as well.
Old 11-14-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good luck with that. I can't even find reviews for Shrek the Third or Pride & Prejudiceand they have been released. I have a feeling review sites are overwhelmed.
Old 11-14-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm currently watching it! I've been loving the pilot -- will finish it tonight. This is a nice update of the original. The effects are good and the acting is fine too. The story is a continuation of the original series with a few adjustments. So far I don't regret the blind buy. Now transfer wise, I couldn't say. I recently discovered I'm a J6P.
Old 11-14-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't out until 12/4, right?
Old 11-14-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're watching the HD DVD version? I hope Universal doesn't mess this one up...looking forward to it.
Old 11-14-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
You're watching the HD DVD version? I hope Universal doesn't mess this one up...looking forward to it.
Oops! I'm a forum jumper. I didn't realize I was in the HD area when I was posting. I'm glad I didn't make any observations about the picture quality. I'm SD DVD until I find only one HD format for sale at Best Buy.
Old 11-14-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Duality
Oops! I'm a forum jumper. I didn't realize I was in the HD area when I was posting. I'm glad I didn't make any observations about the picture quality. I'm SD DVD until I find only one HD format for sale at Best Buy.
Start saving money now. By the time 2011 rolls around, you'll have plenty of money to upgrade!
Old 11-16-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just sold my DVD copy to dvdplanet, so I will be picking this up regardless. I just hope it has better quality than the DTV HDNet broacasts.
Old 11-16-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
Good luck with that. I can't even find reviews for Shrek the Third or Pride & Prejudiceand they have been released. I have a feeling review sites are overwhelmed.
P&P is a VERY nice upgrade over the sd dvd. I've only checked a few scenes (that I found problematical on the dvd) and saw fatr better resolution of fine detail, no smearing- and in the sequences I viewed which included objects against clear sky, open backgrounds etc- no intrusive EE.
So far Its a complete winner in my book.
Others who have apparently watched the disc all the way thru seem to concur.

Shrek is visually at least supposed to be top shelf too. If you like the actual content I don't think the disc is supposed to be disappointing in any way.
Old 11-20-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can anyone confirm if the miniseries is included or not?
Old 12-11-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well this is disappointing!

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/682/b...actica_s1.html

By the way, the mini-series is there.
Old 12-11-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal has to do a recall on the packaging. Normally I do my hi-def purchases online but I actually went to Best Buy to inspect the packaging and it is as horrendous as everybody says. Everyone one of the packages that Best Buy had some sort of crease on it. Why couldn't they use the same packaging from Heroes instead?
Old 12-12-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't think this would transfer well. I remember hearing somewhere (a commentary or an interview) that although they filmed it in HD, they "dumbed the video down" in order to make it look like it's not in HD (or something to that extent). Why, I have no idea.
Old 12-12-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was on my Xmas list, so I might be stuck with it, but if I don't end up getting it for Christmas, I'm skipping this release. Sounds like the video isn't up to snuff and the packaging is a huge turnoff too... boo!
Old 12-13-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the mini-series was grainier-looking that the Season 1 episodes...some of the episodes look quite sharp, to me. I'm wondering if the reviewer over at HDD only looked at the mini-series when rating the A/V quality of the set.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 12-13-07 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the standard def DVD sets, the mini-series looks noticeably worse than than the regular season eps, which in my opinion looked very nice.
I've only watched the first half of the mini series on HD, but compared to my impressions of the same content from 6 months back, I would say the improvment of the mini series in the HD set is by roughly the same %, that the regular season was over the mini series in the sd sets.
So in other words, I DO see an improvment here- and since I haven't purchased any sets of the show prior to this, and because it is an insanely great piece of work, For me the extra cost of the HD DVD is well justified.
People upgrading or with more limited funds to throw around might not think so, and I understand that.
Like a lot of HD releases, this isn't night and day, simply more refined. If that isn't good enough for you...

I agree the packaging is terrible. In fact, I could see that being a major factor in why people may choose to not upgrade and keep what they have or opt for the sd sets. That, and the QC, are the most disappointing aspects of this release.

and I'll take intentional grain over shaky cam and 36 frame edits anyday. Bourne Ultimatum was nice and glossy, but I couldn't find the enthusiasm to make it past 10 minutes with that one. Greengrass and his gimmicky storytelling style kills another movie for me.
Old 12-15-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm exchanging my set from amazon.com. The literature inside the package was ripped when I opened it, and some of the discs froze during playback. One of them even looked stained. Anyone else have the freezing problem? I watched it on the Xbox 360 add-on device. There's a paper inside the set that says the stylized look of the show is intentional. I guess that means "grainy." I think in one of the documentaries the producers said the show itself is shot with HD cameras, but the miniseries wasn't.
Old 12-15-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, was this packaging the winner of some "Let a 3rd-grader design our next DVD case" contest, Universal? Fail on many levels.

Hopefully there will be some sort of re-designed replacement package available, ala The Simpsons season 6. And my discs 4 and 5 are scratched to hell.

But the series looks awesome so far, tons of detail.
Old 12-15-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got mine from Columbia House on Monday and it arrived intact, which was a surprise because CH shipped it loose in a big box, as is their custom. But disc five has some factory supplied concentric scratches, as reported by so many others. I have an e-mail in to Universal asking about replacements.

Since this is a blind buy for me I can't compare the PQ to previous viewings. But I have made it through disc 2, that is: both halves of the mini-series and the first episode "33". The mini-series was pretty grainy and soft in places but I thought it had a respectable picture. It was shot on film according to the commentary. My recollection is that "33" (shot using HD video cameras) was a bit better in PQ than the mini-series but I was mostly following the story not judging the picture. Audio was ok; it defaults to TrueHD, which I appreciate. Also, I rather enjoy the menu loop audio.

I have some quibbles with regard to the extras. I continue to be disappointed by Universal's "U-control feature" (in sharp contrast to Warner's IME which I have found to be excellent on several titles, most recently The Matrix). It is a nuisance to use and the PIP segments in the second half of the mini-series that I watched last night are so few and far between that I wished I could just skip to the next one. If there is a way to do that, I don't know how.

And I was annoyed because those doing the commentary the Director and Executive Producers were so full of themselves and repeatedly denigrated other sci-fi TV shows, some of which are favorites of mine. But I'll grant them one thing, thus far BSG has been an excellent show and I can already understand why it is so highly regarded among sci-fi fans.

I'll leave the final PQ judgments to those who have the SD DVDs and can do an A/B comparison. But the series certainly seems to be worth my time and money thus far, assuming that Universal replaces the scratched disc(s).

My 2.
Old 12-16-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 20 minutes I was able to watch on Disc 5 met my expectations.
Old 12-18-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched the first part of the mini-series last night. Picture better than HDNet, but it did feel like it could be better. That may be because of how dark the show is, though. There just aren't a lot of colors to jump out.

I need to watch the rest to make sure the few scratches I have seen don't screw it up.
Old 12-18-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AVS has a great thread on picture quality differences - SD vs UHD vs HD-DVD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=956920

Anyone who doesn't see a clear improvement in the HD is blind. This is a fabulous upgrade (packaging aside...)
Old 12-20-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Throught the mini and will start eps tonight. I hope they come out with season 2 and 3 (and Razor) soon.
Old 12-20-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Why couldn't they use the same packaging from Heroes instead?
Because they're fucking idiots. Normally, I'd say more. But no, they're fucking morangs. Probably looked at the cheapest packaging possible. Bound and packaged by 5-year old Thai boys and girls.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.