DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Firmware 2.7 released for HD-A2/A20/XA2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/517079-firmware-2-7-released-hd-a2-a20-xa2.html)

Damed 11-12-07 08:03 PM

Firmware 2.7 released for HD-A2/A20/XA2

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...d2firmware.asp

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update adds support for 1080p/24Hz output (A20/XA2) and for more on-screen language display options. In addition, this firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.
XA2:

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...-XA2-2700N.zip

A20:

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...-A20-2700N.zip

HD-A2:

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...D-A2-2700U.zip

DVD Polizei 11-12-07 08:19 PM

Would be nice if they could add a firmware update so you could see the REMAINING TIME on an HD movie. Am I missing something? I figured this would be standard.

RocShemp 11-12-07 08:21 PM

I thought 2.5 added 1080p/24Hz output for the A20 and XA2. :hscratch: Maybe this one fixes the issues some had with the audio/video going out of sync?

I also wonder what are the new HDMI/DVI related issues.

RocShemp 11-12-07 08:23 PM

This is interesting:

In addition, this firmware update provides High Bit Rate Audio functionality for the HD-XA2 player. When integrated through the HDMI connection to a 7.1 capable multi-channel A/V receiver, High Bit Rate Audio has the potential to offer the latest in high definition surround sound.
Too bad I only have an A2.

Just Lurking 11-12-07 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This is interesting:

Too bad I only have an A2.

Me too. :(

RocShemp 11-12-07 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Would be nice if they could add a firmware update so you could see the REMAINING TIME on an HD movie. Am I missing something? I figured this would be standard.

You can already do that, DVD Polizei. If you hit the display button on your remote, the LED display switches to a countdown of the feature runtime.

Overpar 11-12-07 09:23 PM

It would. What would be even better is if they didn't need all of these firmware updates. I bought my A2 in April and I think this will be the fourth update. I appreciate the fixes, but it seems like it should work right before it's released for public consumption.

RocShemp 11-12-07 09:28 PM

Again, you can see the current remaining feature time (on the A2 anyway) by "display" on you remote. You'll see that the display on the player (not what appears on your TV) switches to a backwards count.

What I wish would be implemented via firmware is the dimmer setting not reseting everytime I switch off the player. I find the default setting too bright and recently I've even found myself just switching of the player's display altogether when I watch a movie. The problem is that everytime I power down the player, it reverts back to the default (brightest setting). So I have to fiddle with the "dimmer" button on my remote every time I power up the player.

Just Lurking 11-12-07 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Overpar
It would. What would be even better is if they didn't need all of these firmware updates. I bought my A2 in April and I think this will be the fourth update. I appreciate the fixes, but it seems like it should work right before it's released for public consumption.

I really like the fact that they care enough to continue supporting older hardware. Hopefully, I will get an update for A1 in the bedroom.

DVD Polizei 11-12-07 09:43 PM

You can already do that, DVD Polizei. If you hit the display button on your remote, the LED display switches to a countdown of the feature runtime.

Yeah, I didn't notice this before, but what if my XA2 is dimmed to show absolutely nothing. Not to mention, I really don't like having to spend a few moments to zoom my eyes across the room at the player to figure out how much time remains. Should be on the television screen with a simple successive press of the display button. In a dark room, with a movie playing, it's pretty annoying to try and see what the time remaining is.

RocShemp 11-12-07 09:46 PM

I do see your point, DVD Polizei. Maybe that's something Toshiba should work into their next update. I sure with they were like Oppo. From what I saw in the threads over at AVS, those guys listened to user suggestions (font changes, adding new features, etc.) and actually applied said suggestions to their firmware updates.

Mr. Salty 11-12-07 11:43 PM

I sure with they were like Oppo. From what I saw in the threads over at AVS, those guys listened to user suggestions (font changes, adding new features, etc.) and actually applied said suggestions to their firmware updates.

:thumbsup: I agree. In fact, your complaint about the Toshiba's display dimmer resetting when you turn the player was a complaint I had about my Oppo. They changed that with the last firmware update, so now when I turn my Oppo's display off, it stays off. I really hope Toshiba does the same.

Admiral7 11-12-07 11:53 PM

That's strange. Everything Toshiba says the 2.7 update does for the A2 is everything they said the 2.5 would do.

Josh Z 11-13-07 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
:thumbsup: I agree. In fact, your complaint about the Toshiba's display dimmer resetting when you turn the player was a complaint I had about my Oppo. They changed that with the last firmware update, so now when I turn my Oppo's display off, it stays off. I really hope Toshiba does the same.

The Oppo and Toshiba players may be built differently. It's possible that the dimmer in the Toshiba would require a hardware change, not just firmware.

I agree that it's annoying.

shanester 11-13-07 12:36 PM

I haven't had any porblems with my A2 since I got it in August. I think it froze once. I did a reboot and everything has been fine since then.

I don't mind the 30 second delay to start a movie.

I guess I don't need an upgrade if everything is fine?? :fc:

islandclaws 11-13-07 01:13 PM

^ Always upgrade. You never know, and it won't hurt.

DVD Polizei 11-13-07 02:36 PM

I never upgrade firmware just because "it's the latest". I let others be the guinea pigs and then update later. :)

argh923 11-13-07 03:01 PM

So does this mean that the player I bought in the Walmart sale now supports 1080p?

hondo21 11-13-07 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
So does this mean that the player I bought in the Walmart sale now supports 1080p?

No, the A2 won't do 1080p, even with this update.

I never upgrade firmware just because "it's the latest". I let others be the guinea pigs and then update later. :)

Probably good advice, at least for awhile. There are reports at AVSForum of people having some new issues after this update, although others are reporting no problems.

I just got my $99 Wal-Mart A2 and updated it to 2.5 last week. I'll let the dust settle before applying 2.7, if ever. Seems that these enhancements were mostly for the XA2 anyway.

hauntnut 11-13-07 03:48 PM

Taken from Toshiba's description of the firmware update.

In addition, this firmware update provides High Bit Rate Audio functionality for the HD-XA2 player. When integrated through the HDMI connection to a 7.1 capable multi-channel A/V receiver, High Bit Rate Audio has the potential to offer the latest in high definition surround sound.
I'm interested to see if this means that audio streams from the XA2 can now be bitstreamed as they are, rather than converted to PCM. I know it's all the same, but I'd kinda like to see what "Dolby TrueHD" looks like on the display of my Onkyo receiver! :)

RocShemp 11-13-07 05:48 PM

So when will the HD-A2 update be available? I'm hoping it'll fix some "popping" noises I hear while watching Transformers. The previous update did that for me with my other releases.

hauntnut 11-13-07 06:13 PM

Good news for XA2 owners: the new 2.7 firmware update does indeed pass along bitstream audio to a capable receiver. I know that everyone says that the audio is the same whether it is passed along as bitstream or PCM, but I'm here to tell you that when passed along as bitstream, it has a lot more volume to it. Dolby TrueHD sounds ever-so-slightly cleaner and more defined, and even Dolby Digital Plus tracks sound much better. On a particularly interesting note, some of Warner's earliest HD-DVDs- "The Phantom of the Opera" and "The Last Samurai", for example- no longer require the viewer to jack the volume higher than other discs. They sound just as they should, with no extra adjustments required. It's a golden day for HD-DVD; now, if only the PS3 could decode or pass along DTS-HD Master, then I'd be 100% content with my home theater equipment.

RockyMtnBri 11-13-07 06:13 PM

RocShemp...

The 2.7 update covers the HD-A2. I just applied it myself via an ISO disc I burned.

TheMovieman 11-13-07 06:16 PM

^ Which one did you download, or does it matter? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm new at this.

RockyMtnBri 11-13-07 06:18 PM

I downloaded 2.7, then used an ISO burner software package to create the disc image. It just finished upgrading.