HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will we see HD-era Double Dips?

Old 11-11-07, 10:54 PM

Will we see HD-era Double Dips?

Hi, Thanks to the recent xbox 360 hd-add on deal for 179 with,heroes season 1,planet earth,ultimate matrix boxset,king kong, and the mail in rebate movies I finally gave into the next gen of dvds. Now I am hooked and plan on getting a ps3 so I can get all of the blu-ray exclusives ..and making the whole hd-dvd or blu ray exclusive a moot point. (I just want hd movies regardless of what format it comes out on ...all this bickering between the two sides is uncalled for imo).
Now what do you think the chances are that all of these HD releases get yet another remastered edition or all the other things double dips get marketed as?
I think maybe the extra features could start getting put in HD, but do you think the print can get even better or somehow tweaked yet again?

Also, would a ps3 with a hdmi cable display a better picture then my 360 hd-player that is through component cable or would the difference be so small it wouldn't really matter? I just ask because for movies that get released for both formats I could get the one that would look the best on the two players.

And just one other question, I know the hd-dvd stand alone players are supposed to be superb upconverting players, but how is the quality of the ps3 upconversion compared to them? Becuase the 360 hd-add on doesn't upconvert for some reason, I am going to rely on the ps3 for that.

thanks(goes back to watching the matrix on HD)

Last edited by Y2J850; 11-11-07 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its already started.

Sony re-released The Fifth Element less then a year later.
Old 11-11-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Already have, Full Metal Jacket being the only one I can think of

I will answer the second half of the question. I started out as an HD DVD supporter, but now I am a bluray supporter. I even have more movies on bluray then HD DVD.

I have both an HD DVD player and the ps3. the stand alone HD DVD player does a better job with upconversion then the 360.. however I think the ps3 does a better with upconversion. I am using HDMI for both.

Jacob
DVD Talk Godfather

Considering each format has done it, I don't see why not.
Old 11-11-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weren't both Fifth Element and Full Metal Jacket done poorly in their initial release? Not really like the classic double-dip. But if it happens, expect Sony to be in on the action.
Old 11-11-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Troy has been double dipped with a Director's Cut on both HD and BD.
Old 11-11-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Forgot about FMJ and Troy. Though think Troy is new to Blu-ray and a double dip on HD DVD...right?
Old 11-12-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The XBOX only upconverts through an HDMI cable, which is it's not upconverting for you.
Old 11-12-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Doesn't the Xbox 360 also upconvert DVDs via its VGA output?
Old 11-12-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, Fox and others had the extras from the DVDs destroyed so they can never be released again.

Seriously though, there will absolutely be double-dips with HD! The technology of transferring movies will continue to improve, compression will get better as time goes on, and more movies will get lavish restorations. As titles get new masters, they will get new HD releases as well. Some of the catalog titles that have been released certainly could use new masters. The closest we have to "perfection" would be the computer-animated titles that use no film and are really only limited by compression quality (which has been quite good from the outset).

As for the extras, they can't be in HD unless they were shot on film or HD video in the first place, and many of the existing extras were shot on SD video. The film material would have to be remastered in HD, and it's possible that the expense of doing that won't be justified. They're not even bothering to re-compress extras with more efficient codecs at this point.
Old 11-12-07, 12:36 AM
Suspended

Troy HD DVD
Troy: Director's Cut HD DVD

Full Metal Jacket HD DVD
Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition HD DVD
Old 11-12-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Doesn't the Xbox 360 also upconvert DVDs via its VGA output?
I believe it does.
Old 11-12-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Already have. I'm sure once one format catches on we'll see them more frequently.
Old 11-12-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

absolutely. Personally, I don't consider it a double dip if they release a different cut of the film. Troy and Troy: DC are 2 different films, imo. Having said that, I expect Paramount will eventually wake up one of these years and re-release Transformers with a TrueHD audio track. Same for King Kong, MI3, and many other action films that lack TrueHD sound.
Old 11-12-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Its already started.

Sony re-released The Fifth Element less then a year later.
Which was a remaster and replaced for free if you sent it in to Sony, so it's not really a double-dip. FMJ is the first true one.
Old 11-12-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think double dips are going to be rare. I don't think it's profitable to press all new discs and cover art when both formats aren't selling all that well to begin with.
Old 11-12-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think double dips are going to be rare. I don't think it's profitable to press all new discs and cover art when both formats aren't selling all that well to begin with.
That should change though, and there were laserdisc double dips.
Old 11-12-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Fifth Element doesn't count since Sony will exchange it for you for free. I wouldn't count Troy either since the recent release is the Director's Cut. Plus the theatrical cut never came out on Blu-ray.

Full Metal Jacket is the first true double-dip on the HD-DVD/Blu-ray formats. And like the sucker I am, I replaced the first version with the new SE.
Old 11-12-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd probably count The Fifth Element with an asterisk. The disc is different, the packaging is different, and it had a street date. It is still a different edition, and the replacement program wasn't really publicized. You'll still see both versions in stores. If you were to make a list of HD double dips in order to let people know about alternate versions, you'd have to include TFE, even if it isn't a "true" double dip.
Old 11-12-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Forgot about FMJ and Troy. Though think Troy is new to Blu-ray and a double dip on HD DVD...right?
Correct. I probably could have worded that more clearly.
Old 11-12-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matome
Which was a remaster and replaced for free if you sent it in to Sony, so it's not really a double-dip. FMJ is the first true one.
Yes, if you knew about it. I'm sure their is a large chunk of people who own this movie that never got it replaced because they don't scour the internet for Blu-ray news on a daily basis. Their was no "correction" posted at Best Buy or anything like that. I still see the original version on shelves (in the front, with the newer copies in the back) It's great that Sony did this, but I don't more then 20% of people who own the movie actually even knew about this. I still have my original copy
Old 11-12-07, 12:23 PM

I am tempted to buy Planet Earth, but with other regions getting the 5th disc in HDM and the sd-dvd package also having it I'm not so sure. I really don't want to shell out the money then feel liek i need to re-buy again when it probably gets re-released grrr.
Old 11-12-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ugabuga
I am tempted to buy Planet Earth, but with other regions getting the 5th disc in HDM and the sd-dvd package also having it I'm not so sure. I really don't want to shell out the money then feel liek i need to re-buy again when it probably gets re-released grrr.
Get it. Get it. Get it. Get it. Get it. Get it. !!!!!!!!

Its worth it. The HD DVD version can be had for about $40 on ebay since a lot of people are selling the one they got with the recent "glitch" at Best Buy. WELL worth the $65 I paid for it.