Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD-A30 video problem

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 11:31 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I have the Toshiba HD-A30 and the Westinghouse 42" 1080p TV and the componet video works fine when I hook it up to my TV, BUT when I hook up my HDMI cord, I get NO VIDEO. I called Westinghouse and they told me that the Toshiba is NOT compatible with my TV. Does anyone know if that's true or not? The HDMI cord is fine because my PS3 works wonderfully! Is there anyway around this issue? If not, I just wasted some good hard earned cash!
Old 11-11-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure your TV is on before you put on the A30.
Old 11-11-07, 12:28 PM
Cool New Member

The TV is on when I hook it up. Still, nothing. Also, I have the lastest firmware (1.1).

Last edited by gumpaholic; 11-11-07 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you make sure to change the output on the player to "HDMI"? There should be "HDMI" lighting up in the player display panel. I got a blank screen when I first hooked up my HD DVD player and that's all it was. The player, out of the box, defaulted to component out.
Old 11-11-07, 01:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by lizard
Did you make sure to change the output on the player to "HDMI"? There should be "HDMI" lighting up in the player display panel.
Yes it is. On my display it shows "HDMI". I can't even get to the menu through it.
Old 11-11-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's possible the HDMI output on the A30 is defective. I sincerely doubt there is any incompatibility between the player and your set. In fact, the HD-A1 was demoed at Best Buy using the 42 inch Westy 1080p.
Old 11-11-07, 01:08 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by wewantflair
It's possible the HDMI output on the A30 is defective. I sincerely doubt there is any incompatibility between the player and your set. In fact, the HD-A1 was demoed at Best Buy using the 42 inch Westy 1080p.
Actually, I exchanged my A20 last month because of the SAME PROBLEM. It was doing the same thing. I thought it was the player and exchanged it for the A30 and nada.

Last edited by gumpaholic; 11-11-07 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 01:40 PM
Cool New Member

What's also weird is now my setup menu is coming up (slowly) and when I try to play a movie (HD or regular), the screen goes blank. My audio is connected through the optical cable FYI.
Old 11-30-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is bad. I'm going to buy the Tohiba HD-A3 for my brother, who was a Westinghouse 42" LCD, but this news of a compatibility issue is worrying. Am I better off going for something else?

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 11-30-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 04:02 PM
Cool New Member

If you do get it and it works, let me know. I still haven't called Toshiba yet but I will soon.
Old 11-30-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, thanks, let me fall on the sword for you...
Old 03-04-08, 10:22 PM

Found this via Google. I am having the exact same problem as gumpaholic. Westinghouse TX-42F430S and a brand new Toshiba HD-A3 hd dvd player.

If I turn on the hd dvd player with no disc in it, it takes a good few minutes but will eventually show the player setup screen. But when I try to play '300' HD DVD, it goes to black screen, no audio. If I keep the movie playing, every few minutes the source box in the upper shows up on the hdtv.

UPDATE: Okay, I still am letting the HD DVD play '300'. I tried tracking forward for the heck of it, and for a half second, I saw frame of the movie. But it immediately went back to the black screen.

Last edited by snoozer; 03-04-08 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 05:30 AM
Cool New Member

Mine NEVER worked even after I call Toshiba and Westinghouse. No one knew what the problem was so I got rid of it a few months back.
Old 03-05-08, 08:34 AM

Yeah? I kind of figure that would be the case as I tried everything last night. Though, this is odd, I threw in a standard DVD and a few minutes later, the video and audio showed up, upconverting to 1080i. So, standard DVDs seem to work for me, but not HD DVDs. lamesauce.

The final thing I can think of is upgrading the firmware of the HDTV and also of the HD DVD player. But, my gut feeling is that won't work either.

I bought the Toshiba HD DVD player because it was dirt cheap, since HD DVD is being phased out. Figured, for the cost of a regular upconverting DVD player, I can also get HD DVD support as well. I think I'm leaning towards returning it to the store. If they'll take it, many stores are selling all HD DVD related items as-is with no refunds.
Old 03-27-08, 06:34 PM

Are you sure your problem is the HD-A3 HDMI output. I had a similar problem with a Samsung Upconverting DVD player that worked with my Westinghouse HDTV (except for the occasional audio dropout) then one day I got no signal. I haven't confirmed whether it is the HDMI output of the DVD or the input of the TV, but I suspect it is the TV.

I just saw in another forum that an unplug reset of the Westinghouse may help.
Old 03-28-08, 01:48 PM

Component might be better!

Originally Posted by gumpaholic
Hi there. I have the Toshiba HD-A30 and the Westinghouse 42" 1080p TV and the componet video works fine when I hook it up to my TV, BUT when I hook up my HDMI cord, I get NO VIDEO. I called Westinghouse and they told me that the Toshiba is NOT compatible with my TV. Does anyone know if that's true or not? The HDMI cord is fine because my PS3 works wonderfully! Is there anyway around this issue? If not, I just wasted some good hard earned cash!
The first review I read of a 1080p 42" Westinghouse LCDTV was in a major high-end newsstand audio-video magazine. It was a comprehensive review, and surprised me by being very positive about its picture quality, which had looked awful to me in Best Buy. But the review said that when they hooked up sources to the HDMI input, the picture quality was just awful (and they gave the numeric test results), but then they tried component, and the picture was great! A very unusual, and perhaps unique, result, but extreme enough that they warned all buyers to use COMPONENT INPUTS,ONLY!
So, compare picture quality with your PS3 using component to HDMI . . . If component looks just as good (or better), you have no problem at all!

Last edited by alanbuilds; 03-28-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-29-08, 05:50 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by alanbuilds
So, compare picture quality with your PS3 using component to HDMI . . . If component looks just as good (or better), you have no problem at all!
Well, first off, I DON"T have my HD DVD player anymore and shouldn't have got it in the fist place, but it was cheap at the time I got it. As for the PQ between the HDMI and component on the PS3, it looked a lot better in my eyes. It also blew the PQ between the HD player out of the water! That was one of my main reasons for getting rid of that crappy player.
Old 04-17-08, 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=gumpaholic]Well, first off, I DON"T have my HD DVD player anymore and shouldn't have got it in the fist place, but it was cheap at the time I got it. As for the PQ between the HDMI and component on the PS3, it looked a lot better in my eyes. It also blew the PQ between the HD player out of the water! That was one of my main reasons for getting rid of that crappy player.

A Toshiba A30 in not a crappy player. If you had a properly functioning total system that worked via HDMI you would be able to see that. A PS3 is not going to blow a Tosh A30 out of the water. They are both excellent machines, with excellent pictures. Fact is your PS3 is a better machine then your display