DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   AVSFORUM HD Section locked down... how long? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/516639-avsforum-hd-section-locked-down-how-long.html)

gorgo99 11-08-07 10:03 AM

AVSFORUM HD Section locked down... how long? (UPDATED: REOPENED)

Apparently the rampant BR/HD-DVD flame wars made AVSFORUM.COM lock down their HD section as a "punishment". Unfortunately it doesn't say for how long.

As that board, along with this one, are my favorite forums and source of information, anyone have any idea when it will be back?

11/12/07: It's reopened, nevermind : )

awmurray 11-08-07 10:12 AM

I'm guessing through the weekend.

I've read where someone said it was because of the "mess" that the 90k HD DVD players sold in two days news caused, but that isn't true.

I read in a post my a moderator over there about how they were considering shutting down the HDM areas before that news broke. They had been discussing it for some time. Kind of a shock treatment.

DVD Polizei 11-08-07 10:15 AM

They better close the forum until January 1st, because we're going to see many more HD DVD players on sale, and that's just the players. HD DVDs should be kicking into rather low prices in the following weeks (my guess is around Thanksgiving).

In all fairness, they should lockdown the entire site, and just make it read-only. The comments and responses on virtually every forum are rather non-helpful. I have to scroll threw a 50 pages of verbage just to find one or two people who actually know their equipment and the technology.

Vipper II 11-08-07 10:30 AM

Maybe if the site's so-called "moderators" were as good as what we have here it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

JayDerek 11-08-07 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Maybe if the site's so-called "moderators" were as good as what we have here it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

absolutely agree. After the ban's lifted they need to come down hard on the posters from each side that post threads just as bait.

The problem also seems to be the paying members are given more leniency. There's a small thread on AVS talking about the ban and one of the members just jumped on and posted 'oh by the way, the PS3 2.0 firmware is out. :) '

Thankfully that post was removed - but it illustrates the kind of posts they've had to deal with.

Thankfully DVDTalk doesn't have this.

tofferman 11-08-07 10:52 AM

This action by the AVS forum moderators was long overdue. While I do go there for other topics besides simply HD-DVD / Blu Ray media, it had become increasingly difficult to find useful information on both hi def formats.

bretski 11-08-07 10:57 AM

[soup_nazi]Two weeks!!![/soup_nazi]

rexinnih 11-08-07 11:24 AM

What was the quote from another thread? "Nerd on Nerd carnage" Now that still has me laughing!

HE Pennypacker 11-08-07 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

In all fairness, they should lockdown the entire site, and just make it read-only.

That would have sucked for me since just this morning I received help from one of their posters regarding an issue I had, which when posted here, resulted in no responses whatsoever.

Robert George 11-08-07 12:05 PM

AVS HD forums should reopen tomorrow (Friday).

DVD Josh 11-08-07 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
That would have sucked for me since just this morning I received help from one of their posters regarding an issue I had, which when posted here, resulted in no responses whatsoever.

In terms of technical knowledge, AVS forum members are some of the nicest, most helpful folk I've ever come across. Too bad they can't hold a civilized conversation about HD and BD. You would have think some of them smacked each other's mommas.

bboisvert 11-08-07 12:23 PM

Not to point fingers, but it definitely is a mod issue. They can close the forums for a day, week, or year... but if they don't start banning folks who continuously break the forum rules and post flamebait, the problem will never be solved.

DVD Polizei 11-08-07 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker

Just for the record, I responded to your other post after seeing this post. :)

Jim 11-08-07 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
In terms of technical knowledge, AVS forum members are some of the nicest, most helpful folk I've ever come across. Too bad they can't hold a civilized conversation about HD and BD. You would have think some of them smacked each other's mommas.

The HDM forums seemed like almost an entirely different crowd than the other forums. I rarely recognized any of the names in the HDM forums from the other forums on AVS that I checked out. The most prolific posters had mostly joined the forum within the last year and had many thousands of posts, 99.9999% of them in the HDM forums. What would get me is when the prolific posters would rudely smack down long-time AVS members who had been extremely helpful to many other people over the years on technical issues.

While I don't always agree with everything here, the moderators must be doing something right to have kept this site from becoming another wasteful battleground.

DVD Polizei 11-08-07 01:38 PM

After going to AVS more and checking out some threads, I tend to agree. Maybe they need more mods as previously mentioned.

awmurray 11-08-07 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Not to point fingers, but it definitely is a mod issue. They can close the forums for a day, week, or year... but if they don't start banning folks who continuously break the forum rules and post flamebait, the problem will never be solved.

This is true.

I've watched this very closely for the past few months. I've noticed some of the "Blu-blood" types (their label, not mine) post something inflammatory on AVS, get an infraction or a suspension, then run over to blu-ray.com and post about how the evil, unfair, pro HD DVD AV$ forum punished them, blah, blah, blah. He then gets a big pat on the back "HOOO-RAH" from the crowd for sticking it to The Man.

One in particular I remember cross-posted his comments on AVS and bu-ray.com and the title was something like, "how long before I get suspended for the 3rd time on AVS" or something to that effect.

Note that you need to actually create an account on blu-ray.com to see all the crap (they hide most of this type of stuff in the off topic areas which are not visible unless you have an account).

Hammer99 11-08-07 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
The HDM forums seemed like almost an entirely different crowd than the other forums. I rarely recognized any of the names in the HDM forums from the other forums on AVS that I checked out. The most prolific posters had mostly joined the forum within the last year and had many thousands of posts, 99.9999% of them in the HDM forums. What would get me is when the prolific posters would rudely smack down long-time AVS members who had been extremely helpful to many other people over the years on technical issues.

While I don't always agree with everything here, the moderators must be doing something right to have kept this site from becoming another wasteful battleground.

Obviously shills, getting rid of them should be the first step & quite easy to do, since only the most extreme of fanboys would miss them.

HE Pennypacker 11-08-07 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Just for the record, I responded to your other post after seeing this post. :)

I appreciate it. :)

Indeed.

PopcornTreeCt 11-08-07 02:29 PM

I prefer the highdefdigest forums. They care a bit more about the movie's quality rather than the bitrate.

bunkaroo 11-08-07 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
This is true.

I've watched this very closely for the past few months. I've noticed some of the "Blu-blood" types (their label, not mine) post something inflammatory on AVS, get an infraction or a suspension, then run over to blu-ray.com and post about how the evil, unfair, pro HD DVD AV$ forum punished them, blah, blah, blah. He then gets a big pat on the back "HOOO-RAH" from the crowd for sticking it to The Man.

One in particular I remember cross-posted his comments on AVS and bu-ray.com and the title was something like, "how long before I get suspended for the 3rd time on AVS" or something to that effect.

Note that you need to actually create an account on blu-ray.com to see all the crap (they hide most of this type of stuff in the off topic areas which are not visible unless you have an account).

To be fair, I've lost count how many Blu-Ray threads in the Blu-Ray sections are constantly hijacked.

The HD DVD fan boys are just as bad.

I just hope we don't get more AVS refugees here.

GreenMonkey 11-08-07 06:35 PM

Agreed

It's my first stop if I'm seeking information about projectors, screens, and a useful resource for other a/v technical questions. A bit heavy on the subjectivist audiophiles for me, but I just stay out of the expensive subforums and the speaker/amps/cables/etc areas and it's all good.

The HD subforums are a disgrace to the rest of the site, it's like they were on cruise control with no one at the wheel. It's good to see them doing SOMETHING.

KnightLerxst 11-08-07 07:05 PM

They need to break out the ban stick and need to just have one forum for HDM. The projector and screen sections of that site are the best around. Too bad the HDM forums are ruled by fanboys who constantly flamebait and hijack threads.

toxie321 11-08-07 08:23 PM

I hate to say it but AVS is probably my most reliable place for HD stuff. I don't usually use the site besides finding out PQ on titles or finding out bargains. Besides that, this site and HDD are my favorites. And did they really need to shut down the forums? Are internet dorks really gonna get together and fight or kill eachother?

Hammer99 11-08-07 10:28 PM

New Posting Rules Are Up
IF actually enforced, some fanboys will be none-too-pleased. :thumbsup:

we feel the following information does not have a need to be on this site and will be removed as reported or seen.

Number of player units sold.
Number of disc titles and format types sold.
(Unless from a disinterested third party site like Nelson where real numbers are tracked)

"X is winning" type posts.
"I support X so deal with it."

No Trolling or posting just inciting others.
Accusing of someone of being a paid shill. (If you have proof, show us.)
Posting of information that can not be verified but is stated as fact. (Proof?)
Attacking another site for their thoughts on the subject.
Attacking other members of the press or media.
Promoting other sites.
No petitions posts.
No "Buy Days" to support going out to purchase on a certain day.
As always, no hacking chat.

Gizmo 11-08-07 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99
New Posting Rules Are Up
IF actually enforced, some fanboys will be none-too-pleased. :thumbsup:

Which means AVS will be "can I post this" over and over. Lame.