DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   AVSFORUM HD Section locked down... how long? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/516639-avsforum-hd-section-locked-down-how-long.html)

MEJHarrison 11-09-07 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The best solution, of course, would be if people would grow up.

rotfl

Josh Z 11-10-07 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Elemental
I would love to see the likes of Rdjam, Beatboy and TheBland just to name some annoying idiots to get kicked of from that forum. It must be quite a shock for some of those 24/7 fanboy posters to not be allowed to say what they feel like saying on there.

The problem with hugely partisan issues such as this format war (or politics, or religion, or competing video game consoles, or PC vs. Mac, etc.) is that they drive otherwise reasonable people to irrational behavior. Both thebland and rdjam have participated usefully in other forums on that site (Beatboy not so much), but when it comes to High-Def media the "war" mentality takes them over.

splattii2 11-10-07 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The problem with hugely partisan issues such as this format war (or politics, or religion, or competing video game consoles, or PC vs. Mac, etc.) is that they drive otherwise reasonable people to irrational behavior. Both thebland and rdjam have participated usefully in other forums on that site (Beatboy not so much), but when it comes to High-Def media the "war" mentality takes them over.

I know you're just using examples, but I find it hard to accept the fact people can exibit this kind of behavior around a DVD format. Religion and Politics I can understand, but a DVD Format?

Adam Tyner 11-10-07 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by splattii2
I find it hard to accept the fact people can exibit this kind of behavior around a DVD format.

...and yet they do.

splattii2 11-10-07 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...and yet they do.

I know, but it would be nice to see these people banned. In the end AVS would be doing them a favour by helping them get a life anyhow.

Gizmo 11-11-07 02:12 PM

Nice. I got suspended because I wrote "Another Cancellation?" in regards to Dancing with the Wolves on Blu-ray. Who cares if I was actually looking forward to it and own a Blu-ray Player. I hope AVS is ready to lose a ton of members and ad revenue as they will be suspending/banning people over there for the stupidest things.

Hammer99 11-11-07 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by splattii2
I know, but it would be nice to see these people banned. In the end AVS would be doing them a favour by helping them get a life anyhow.

:thumbsup:

PopcornTreeCt 11-11-07 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Nice. I got suspended because I wrote "Another Cancellation?" in regards to Dancing with the Wolves on Blu-ray. Who cares if I was actually looking forward to it and own a Blu-ray Player. I hope AVS is ready to lose a ton of members and ad revenue as they will be suspending/banning people over there for the stupidest things.

Dances With Wolves was supposed to come out?

raven56706 11-11-07 05:14 PM

from what i have been hearing.... the studios and companies are actually hiring people to go on the avsforum to talk smack.... yes its that bad...

bboisvert 11-11-07 06:29 PM

Did the Nielsen thread disappear? Or am I just blind/drunk?

Gizmo 11-11-07 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Did the Nielsen thread disappear? Or am I just blind/drunk?

Can't discuss them anymore as they deal with how many copies a movie sold :lol:

Pretty much AVS HDM area is just for "this movie looks good/bad" or "why won't this play".

Spiky 11-11-07 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z

I disagree. A discussion does not re-create a person. It simply brings out the truth.

raven56706 11-11-07 07:14 PM

was my post deleted?

Drexl 11-11-07 07:25 PM

An ABC/Animal Planet co-production. ;)

Dances with Wolves was supposed to come out last March or April, but I don't think it had been given a new date since.

Adam Tyner 11-11-07 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
was my post deleted?

This one?

I don't see the usual records of any deleted posts in this thread.

raven56706 11-11-07 10:06 PM

yeah that one... thats weird

Adam Tyner 11-11-07 10:09 PM

I still see it in the thread, for what it's worth.

bboisvert 11-12-07 07:53 AM

Can't discuss them anymore as they deal with how many copies a movie sold :lol:

Pretty much AVS HDM area is just for "this movie looks good/bad" or "why won't this play".

1. That's absurd.

2. So they *deleted* the thread? Hundreds of pages of discussion and links to stats?

I think I'm going to take an AVS break for a while until they get this figured out. This isn't rocket science -- they just need to suspend/ban the folks that are causing problems. Right now, it seems like they are just stopping actual discussion and debate (not flames).

I don't see how stopping discussion of published sales data fits in with the point of AVScience, or discussion forums in general.

Grubert 11-12-07 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
2. So they *deleted* the thread? Hundreds of pages of discussion and links to stats?

No, not deleted. 'Merely' closed (thread 876174). I saved the data from the first page just in case.

I think I'm going to take an AVS break for a while until they get this figured out. This isn't rocket science -- they just need to suspend/ban the folks that are causing problems. Right now, it seems like they are just stopping actual discussion and debate (not flames).

I don't see how stopping discussion of published sales data fits in with the point of AVScience, or discussion forums in general.

So am I. I agree 100%.

Gizmo 11-12-07 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grubert
No, not deleted. 'Merely' closed (thread 876174). I saved the data from the first page just in case.

So am I. I agree 100%.

I'm still amazed I got suspended because I posted "Another Cancellation" in regards to Dances with the Wolves. How dare I? :lol:

DVD Josh 11-12-07 11:23 AM

I'm still amazed I got suspended because I posted "Another Cancellation" in regards to Dances with the Wolves. How dare I? :lol:

I'm not. It's just the connotation of it. I know what you meant by it, but given the state of things there, it may have appeared to be "oh boy, not again, another BD cancellation, HD rulez" type post.

But they don't love you as much as we do giz.

Gizmo 11-12-07 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
But they don't love you as much as we do giz.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raven56706 11-12-07 07:11 PM

it was really bad though....i am on there just to find out when movies come out and when i ask a question about something a fanboy comes out and starts a fight and before you know it a thread that could end in 10 posts turns into 50 posts and then closed....

like i said... it was really bad and the ones that were hired by the companies made the forum a living hell

bboisvert 11-12-07 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
it was really bad though....i am on there just to find out when movies come out and when i ask a question about something a fanboy comes out and starts a fight and before you know it a thread that could end in 10 posts turns into 50 posts and then closed....

Exactly. And the obvious solution would be to ban the guy who starts the fight and derails the discussion.

Instead, they are currently limiting topics to things that can't even really be "discussed". And they're deleting topics and posts like mad. I don't get it.

raven56706 11-12-07 09:59 PM

well... because it became really bad.... i think plus some people who pay to be an avs club member might have something to do with it..