HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

$149 Toshiba A-3 HD DVD player is coming!

Old 11-07-07, 11:41 PM

$149 Toshiba A-3 HD DVD player is coming!

http://bfads.net/Toshiba-HD-DVD-High...ity-at-hhgregg

Black Friday at HHGregg. Cheapest price on the A3 so far. Looks like Toshiba is going for the 4th quarter knock out. Remember, its the A3 w/300 and Bourne Identity in the box.

If you've missed the first two sales...rest assured, more are coming.

Discuss.
Old 11-08-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm happy with the $200 price and 10 discs. I actually got 12 but that's another story. As the prices drop of course I'll pick up another. Then have yet another copy of 300 to go with the other 3 I already have in SD, BD and HD

I see a tremendous parallel between this and the Beta v. VHS format war of the late 70's early 80's. SONY was behind Beta, a higher quality, better techinically format however the price was higher. VHS started adding bells and whistles and dropping prices like crazy. "What do you mean it's less than $600?!?!?!" SONY was the biggest proponent of BETA and they stuck to their guns right up until the end. One big difference was the studio exclusivity wasn't there. If HD dies tomorrow it won't matter because I really don't have anything invested. I'll use it until the machine dies. If BD dies tomorrow I'll be upset, I have a $500 player.
Old 11-08-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe I paid $449 for my A2.
Old 11-08-07, 09:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
But think of the positives, uh, er, uh, you paid that premium to enjoy all the goodness of HD a full year or so before the rest of us masses. That helps, right?

I feel your pain, technology prices drop so darn fast.
Old 11-08-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should contact Toshiba and see if you can get an extra rebate because you were one of the early adopters.
Old 11-08-07, 10:14 AM
Banned

Don't feel bad, man. I paid $600 for my XA1. Early adopters rock! And get fleeced!
Old 11-08-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pioneers take the arrows.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
Pioneers take the arrows.

Thanks.
Dont forget scalped!
Old 11-08-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL. It makes me feel better to know that my dad paid over $1k each for his Betamax and Intellivision. $2k for his Commadore 64!!

No wonder we ate so much Wonderbread and macaroni and cheese growing up
Old 11-08-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL. It makes me feel better to know that my dad paid over $1k each for his Betamax and Intellivision. $2k for his Commadore 64!!

I paid $3000 for my IBM-386 computer when it came out, and I'm still stinging from that. Every since then, I've been a cheap bastard when it comes to buying computers (and HD players, and DVD's, for that matter). I can wait a short period for prices to drop. I no longer have to have things right away...
Old 11-08-07, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I paid $3000 for my IBM-386 computer when it came out, and I'm still stinging from that. Every since then, I've been a cheap bastard when it comes to buying computers (and HD players, and DVD's, for that matter). I can wait a short period for prices to drop. I no longer have to have things right away...

It seems like just yesterday I paid $600 for a brand new "progressive scan" dvd player. Now I see them for 29 bucks and just shake my head.
Old 11-08-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mmmm... mac 'n cheese.
Old 11-08-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel your pain. I paid $439 for mine when the A2 first hit BB here in Hawaii in Dec. I decided to wait for the 2nd generation model. I feel a little better I was able to score a 2nd A2 for $89 from Walmart this past Tuesday. That ones goes to my parents. Still waiting on the A35 to drop below $300.
Old 11-08-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kahuna
I feel a little better I was able to score a 2nd A2 for $89 from Walmart this past Tuesday. That ones goes to my parents. Still waiting on the A35 to drop below $300.
Kahuna, which WalMart was this? I hadn't heard of anyone in Hawaii getting in on the deal, and especially as late as Tuesday. I somehow thought the Hawaii stores didn't get the item, as is not unusual.
Old 11-08-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up my HD-A1 for $450 pretty close to the release date and I couldn't be happier with it, no regrets at all. Not only that, but I bought the 5 year warranty, so if this thing should crap out in the next 3 years I'm still fully covered. If this thing ever craps out, I can (probably) upgrade to the A35.
Old 11-08-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I paid $998 total to go format neutral. That's down to $498 now.
Old 11-08-07, 02:01 PM

I paid $550 for my first hard drive, 20 megabytes.

In today's dollars, it would be like paying $14,080,000.00 for a standard 500 gig hard drive. Yes, over 14 million dollars.

If I did the math in my head right.
Old 11-08-07, 02:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I paid $550 for my first hard drive, 20 megabytes.

In today's dollars, it would be like paying $14,080,000.00 for a standard 500 gig hard drive. Yes, over 14 million dollars.

If I did the math in my head right.
I think math isn't the ONLY think you are hearing in your head.
Old 11-08-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel your pain. I paid $439 for mine when the A2 first hit BB here in Hawaii in Dec. I decided to wait for the 2nd generation model. I feel a little better I was able to score a 2nd A2 for $89 from Walmart this past Tuesday. That ones goes to my parents. Still waiting on the A35 to drop below $300.
I was the who posted in another thread that Walmart, Hawaii does not carry hd-dvd or blu-ray players. I called 3 of the stores last week Thursday and that is what I was told. I asked them if they were getting them in and selling the A2 for $98. I was told no by all 3 stores I called.

On Tuesday I had to take my mother to her doctors appt. After that she wanted to go to Mililani Walmart to go to the material department. While she was there I went to the electronic department. What do I see is some guy buying a Toshiba A2 hd-dvd player. I ask him if he is paying the $98 price. He said yes and he was told there was 2 more in back. When I asked to get one the other salesgirl told the one who was ringing the guys one up. The two that were in the back were being held for other people. Even the one she was ringing up was suppose to be for someone else. I said what the hell is going on. I was told that you were not getting any in and never sold any hd-dvd or blu-ray players. I also told her every time I asked for something to be held for me they tell me they can't do that. I said those are for relatives or friends. What a croak of shit. I was pissed off. So on the way home we decided to stop off a Pearl City Walmart. I happen to notice at a end cap there were a bunch of blu-ray and hd-dvd titles. Only 3 of the hd-dvd's were on sale for $14.96. I never seen hd-dvd or blu-ray being sold their. I asked the manager of the electronic department if they had gotten in the A2 and was it sold for $98. He said yes and it came in Friday. I told him I called thursday the day before the sale and was told they don't carry hd-dvd players. And were not getting any in. I told him how pissed I was about this. Just as I turned away I looked on a shelf and I see a A2. It is the display model. I asked him if I could get this one for $98. He said sure and I will give you 10% off for what happen. We went in the back and brought out the box and all the accessories. Later that night a friend of mine called me and said he was in the Mililani Walmart that Saturday and was told all the A2's were sold out. But he did buy 5 hd-dvds for $14.98. I guess the moral of the story is to just go down to Walmart and not call them up. I have not heard of any one else getting one of these A2's in the Hawaii Walmart also. Except for the guy who got one on Tuesday.
Old 11-08-07, 02:37 PM

I have learned that it is generally best to never call a store, for any reason.

You'll either get erroneous information or you'll end up drawing attention to a deal and killing it for everyone else.

Same with asking is something is ringing up free or lower than advertised or if x will ring up free if you buy y. Don't freaking ask, just run it thru the cashier and if you don't like the price change your mind.
Old 11-08-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad it worked out for you, Kahuna, though I would have been pissed, too! I was physically at Keeaumoku WalMart on Friday afternoon, but none in sight -- if that branch ever had any to begin with. I'll just have to keep watching for holiday sales, though it'll likely be the A3 now.

I have not heard of any one else getting one of these A2's in the Hawaii Walmart also. Except for the guy who got one on Tuesday.
I thought YOU were that guy? (Post #13)

Last edited by rkndkn; 11-08-07 at 03:31 PM.