DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Should I Get "INSERT MOVIE" in HD if I Already Own it on SD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/516513-should-i-get-insert-movie-hd-if-i-already-own-sd.html)

TheMovieman 11-07-07 12:33 AM

Should I Get "INSERT MOVIE" in HD if I Already Own it on SD?

I don't know if a thread has been done like this before, but I thought it would be a good one for those coming into the HD realm and want to know if certain HD-DVD or Blu Ray Discs are worth the upgrade from their SD counterparts.

TheMovieman 11-07-07 12:35 AM

To start things off, I own the Ultimate Matrix Collection so I'm wondering if it's worth owning it on HD-DVD or even just the "Complete Matrix Trilogy". With the upcoming sale on Deep Discount, I thought this might be a good time to pick it up.

Now, in general I liked The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded but not in love with either. Is the picture that much of an improvement or will upconverting my current copies be suffice?

matrixrok9 11-07-07 12:54 AM

Video and audio on HD is way better for the Matrix set. But if you didn't love the movies, I'm in the same boat as you, it's not worth the extra $50 - $60.

If you loved a movie and you've read great reviews for it, then definitely buy it.

bunkaroo 11-07-07 12:57 AM

I used to think I would only upgrade select movies to HD, but I have to admit I replace every single movie I can now with HDM. Even on stuff like Sea Of Love, there's an improvement over the DVD, even if it's not night and day.

durden007 11-07-07 01:21 AM

I had a dilemma with Big Lebowski on HD. I already had the DVD. It seems to be a movie I watch a lot, but didn't think it'd be a huge improvement on HD. But it was on sale at Walmart, so I managed to get a copy. I do notice a difference. And I don't feel too bad since the DVD I have I had bought for $5, and I'm sure I can sell it to a friend for that much. So rough total net cost of HD Lebowski = $10.

I also remember replacing a few DVDs as new, remastered, upgraded, director cut, limited stays-crunchy-in-milk special editions came out, so I'm weary picking up titles in fear of the inevitable double dip.

I figure if its a movie that is a favorite (such as Lebowski), and it isn't too expensive, I'll pick it up. If its a movie I don't have already that is on HD, I'll pick up the HD copy. If its a movie I LOVE (Star wars, pulp fiction), I'll likely buy it. If Its a movie I know will benefit from being in HD over the standard release, I'll pick it up.

The problem is, I'm not sure what that leaves out. I know I don't want to go out and replace all the DVDs I have in high def, but I know while watching the standard def version I'll be thinking 'wonder how this compares to the HD version'

I think if I got an HD channel that showed 24 hour grass growing I'd watch it.

Drexl 11-07-07 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I used to think I would only upgrade select movies to HD, but I have to admit I replace every single movie I can now with HDM. Even on stuff like Sea Of Love, there's an improvement over the DVD, even if it's not night and day.

That's pretty much how I am.

The problem with this question is that everyone is different when it comes to replacing titles. Some need a huge improvement in picture quality while others will take less. Sometimes it comes down to other things like sound or extras. Some people will only upgrade certain types of movies.

bookcase3 11-07-07 08:34 AM

Should I get "Born on the 4th of July" in HD if I already own the latest SD? One of my favorites, but I need to know there's a significant improvement. And what are people's thoughts on "12 Monkeys"?

Arpeggi 11-07-07 08:43 AM

My answer is Yes on everything

Mr. Cinema 11-07-07 09:07 AM

I don't think I'll replace every dvd with the HD version. Even if Cujo gets released in HD, I'm not sure that is a title I'll want to replace. But most movies, I will replace them even if I have them on dvd. There is too much of a difference in audio/video. When you start buying HDM, you start thinking you'll be selective on what gets upgraded, but once your collection starts growing, that selective though process begins to fade quickly.

RichC2 11-07-07 09:26 AM

INSERT MOVIE was terrible, I wouldn't own it on either format.

That said, I thought the Big Lebowski was actually a big improvement over the DVD. The opening scene looks really bad but everything after that looks amazing. Of course, I don't have what most would consider to be a normal setup (HD Projector @ 110") but regardless of that, big big improvement.

I generally go off reviews, do a combine score of DVDTalk, HighDefDigest, DVDBeaver and DVDTown, or any mix there of. I also have netflix and generally rent first (I love NetFlix, 1 day turn around with no noticeable throttling in my area) though they still don't have Troy: DC :(.

gimmepilotwings 11-07-07 09:26 AM

What about the Spiderman movies? I own 1 and 2, but considering getting the trilogy.

RichC2 11-07-07 09:28 AM

Spider-man 2 looks fantastic in High-Def. That said, I'm bias and did not like Spidey 1 or 3 so I can't support the trilogy purchase (read: rent until 2 is available alone). #2 and #3 are night and day vs the SD versions, #1 isn't nearly as huge of a difference.

MrDeets 11-07-07 09:29 AM

Good idea for a thread.

Two specific Blu-rays that are miles above their sd-dvd counterparts are The Descent and Curse of the Golden Flower. The action in the final act of Descent is much easier to see and Golden Flower's vibrant color scheme seemed a bit muted to me on SD, but it leaps off the screen in high def.

RichC2 11-07-07 09:31 AM

You make me wish I had Blu-ray :( (I love, LOVE The Descent, and enjoyed Curse). Dammit Sony, hurry up and lower prices!

Elemental 11-07-07 09:33 AM

My advice; don't start re-buying everything immediately on HDM. (Of course that's up to you and it makes a difference if you only have a small, say less than a hundred SD DVD's, collection). The thing is, in just a few years from now, you'll be able to replace your SD editions for only a small portion of the price HD discs go for now. Well, that's how I will upgrade a large portion of my collection in the future. Another good thing about waiting with re-purchasing is, in a few years from now, we'll know what the deal is concerning the "war". It's not a lot of fun having a huge library of discs for which players won't be available in a couple of years from now. I've been there with Laserdisc.

MBoyd 11-07-07 09:35 AM

Everyone loves the Big Lebowski HD. I never owned it on DVD, but I think it's the worst HD I have in terms of pic quality. I can't figure it out. But then I think Deer Hunter looks pretty good and everyone seems to rip on that transfer. Dunno?

I havent replaced everything, but maybe 2/3 of what I can.

gimmepilotwings 11-07-07 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MrDeets
Good idea for a thread.

Two specific Blu-rays that are miles above their sd-dvd counterparts are The Descent and Curse of the Golden Flower. The action in the final act of Descent is much easier to see and Golden Flower's vibrant color scheme seemed a bit muted to me on SD, but it leaps off the screen in high def.

I owned Golden Flower. It was very visually stimulating. I never saw the SD version, but the HD verion was very well done.

MEC2 11-07-07 09:38 AM

Um... yes...

I am replacing most of my movies with HD. The difference is night and day. I suppose if you have a smallish screen, or perhaps a 720 set, the answer might be different, as the improvement between upscaled DVD and HD would be less than full.

Some movies mentioned here - Matrix? Oh yeah. Update that sucker.

Heck, even movies that aren't eye candy I update- Sneakers for instance. If it's a movie I like, I want to see it in the best format I can. Sneakers is a movie like that. Not eye candy in the least, just a great movie, and it looks far better on HD.

MEC2
P.S. Elemental does have a point - buying as release does carry a premium. That said, it will always be cheaper later, but for $10, why not enjoy it now?

gimmepilotwings 11-07-07 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MEC2
I am replacing most of my movies with HD. The difference is night and day. I suppose if you have a smallish screen, or perhaps a 720 set, the answer might be different, as the improvement between upscaled DVD and HD would be less than full.

Some movies mentioned here - Matrix? Oh yeah. Update that sucker.

Heck, even movies that aren't eye candy I update- Sneakers for instance. If it's a movie I like, I want to see it in the best format I can. Sneakers is a movie like that. Not eye candy in the least, just a great movie, and it looks far better on HD.

MEC2
P.S. Elemental does have a point - buying as release does carry a premium. That said, it will always be cheaper later, but for $10, why not enjoy it now?

Exactly. I have a limit of about $10-$12 for the HD release. I won't feel bad about that price, because even with price drops, you won't see them cheaper than that. Boxsets are the only ones I will pay more than that for.

Trevor 11-08-07 07:00 AM

You guys are scaring me.

I'm only just now getting into HD. Got the player, a bunch of free movies, shopping for the TV now (yes, cart before horse I know).

I had planned on not upgrading anything, except Jaws. I was hoping that upconverted SD would look fine enough, and I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade just for picture quality.

I'll upgrade for extras, and I'll start buying in HD initially, but I can't imagine upgrading all my SD.

FantasticVSDoom 11-08-07 07:08 AM

I know Ill probably replace alot, not all because some I just dont even care to have on SD anymore, but I said I wouldnt but I will...

bookcase3 11-08-07 07:50 AM

I've been replacing some of my SD since getting my player last week, but that's mainly because I'm dying to watch some HD DVDs, and of the titles currently available, I own most of them as SD. Shrek 3 and Oceans 13 next week will be my first new HD DVDs.

Doughboy 11-08-07 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Should I get "Born on the 4th of July" in HD if I already own the latest SD? One of my favorites, but I need to know there's a significant improvement. And what are people's thoughts on "12 Monkeys"?

I A-B'd the most recent DVD and HD-DVD of Born on the Fourth of July when I picked it up and there's a noticeable improvement. It's worth getting if you're a fan.

bookcase3 11-08-07 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I A-B'd the most recent DVD and HD-DVD of Born on the Fourth of July when I picked it up and there's a noticeable improvement. It's worth getting if you're a fan.

It's one of my favorites, and the multiple DVD treatments it was given were poor, to say the least. The HD DVD is now in my shopping cart. Thanks!

True_Story1011 11-08-07 09:16 AM

send them all out to DVD heaven, Let GOD sortem' out.

There have been a couple movies on the board that people dump on because of the lack of extra's. (I.e; EVERY 20th Century Fox title)

But from what I remember there was a ton of movies that were bare bones when DVD was conceived. So this little thing doenst really surprise me.

If you like to title and you wanna support the format give it a shot...

Worse comes to worst - There is always the Exchange forum! ;)