Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I Get "INSERT MOVIE" in HD if I Already Own it on SD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Should I Get "INSERT MOVIE" in HD if I Already Own it on SD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually upgrade if the movie is very visual. But something like The 40 Year Old Virgin I have no intention of upgrading.
Old 11-08-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I usually upgrade if the movie is very visual. But something like The 40 Year Old Virgin I have no intention of upgrading.
I actually did upgrade that movie. But I hadn't opened the first one, so I can easily get rid of it. In fact, that is a general rule I have. If it is a movie that I still have sealed (because I have a huge backlog), I try to unload it and upgrade. Then I watch the HD version fairly quickly, since I will bump those to the front of my queue. I will not pay full price for any HD movie. I can be patient, especially with my large backlog. But if it is a SD movie that I have opened, it would have to be one hell of a great special effects movie for me to want to upgrade (or one hell of a bargain price for the HD version). Thus far, I have a very small HD collection (approx. 30 titles) but I know it will grow quickly. However, considering I have over 3000 SD's, I certainly won't be upgrading every title. I'm thinking maybe 10% at most...
Old 11-08-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I actually did upgrade that movie. But I hadn't opened the first one, so I can easily get rid of it. In fact, that is a general rule I have. If it is a movie that I still have sealed (because I have a huge backlog), I try to unload it and upgrade. Then I watch the HD version fairly quickly, since I will bump those to the front of my queue. I will not pay full price for any HD movie. I can be patient, especially with my large backlog. But if it is a SD movie that I have opened, it would have to be one hell of a great special effects movie for me to want to upgrade (or one hell of a bargain price for the HD version). Thus far, I have a very small HD collection (approx. 30 titles) but I know it will grow quickly. However, considering I have over 3000 SD's, I certainly won't be upgrading every title. I'm thinking maybe 10% at most...

I understand your logic to some degree.... But how can you turn down soooo many great looking titles.

I mean there is huge difference in picture quality alone to warrant an upgrade on every title..

I guess what it reallly comes down to is monetary?
Old 11-08-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
I understand your logic to some degree.... But how can you turn down soooo many great looking titles.

I mean there is huge difference in picture quality alone to warrant an upgrade on every title..

I guess what it reallly comes down to is monetary?
For me, it's going to come to monetary, although one of my favorite holiday movie is Christmas Vacation and every review I've read (for HD-DVD, at least) says the PQ isn't very good.
Old 11-08-07, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I upgrade Goodfellas and Lost in Translation?

I already own both on SD-DVD (2DVD set SE for Goodfellas.)

Thanks!
Old 11-08-07, 10:17 AM
Cool New Member

I dont upgrade unless I get a goo deal on the HD version. CC BOGO I replaced The Punisher (BD) and Constantine (HD DVD) for $12.50 each.
Old 11-08-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
1. Caddyshack?

2. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

3. Mallrats?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll upgrade everything I want eventually. I've only watched a few HD discs where the upgrade isn't very noticable. Otherwise it's no contest. The Thing, Army of Darkness, Big Lebowski, Batman Begins, Blazing Saddles, T2, etc. etc...I can never go back.
Old 11-08-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I upgraded Mallrats even though the PQ reviews weren't stellar. I was happy with it.
Old 11-08-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by tsetse27
Should I upgrade Goodfellas and Lost in Translation?

I already own both on SD-DVD (2DVD set SE for Goodfellas.)

Thanks!
I'm upgrading LiT just because it's one of my favorite movies, though the reviews I've say the PQ isn't stellar. Good, but nothing great.
Old 11-08-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
I'll upgrade everything I want eventually. I've only watched a few HD discs where the upgrade isn't very noticable. Otherwise it's no contest. The Thing, Army of Darkness, Big Lebowski, Batman Begins, Blazing Saddles, T2, etc. etc...I can never go back.
T2???
Old 11-08-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went a little gung-ho when I got my player about 2 weeks ago, but now I'm just going to only buy things I REALLY think can benefit from the upgrade. I rebought some films and the difference in PQ over an upscaled SD seemed minimal to me. I've got a 720p/1080i set, but it's 50" so the difference between that and 1080p to my eye would be negligible. I mainly got it for The Thing, my favorite film, and I was thoroughly pleased with the results.
Old 11-08-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I will add my 2 titles, I have the Criterion of both (along with the plain jane older versions)

Dazed and Confused

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 11-08-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In response to some of the aforementioned titles:

GoodFellas - I noticed a marginal improvement in picture quality. It's one of the weaker-looking HD-DVD titles I own, but if you're a fan I guess it's worth picking up for the right price. Having all the extras on one disc is a nice little bonus as well.

Lost In Translation - Much like GoodFellas, a marginal improvement in picture quality. And it's a dialogue-driven film, so the audio is a wash. This was during a stretch when Universal was churning out a bunch of mediocre transfers. Then again, LiT was a low budget movie to begin with, so maybe this is good as it'll ever look.

Mallrats - I only have the original Collector's Edition DVD to compare it to, but the HD-DVD blows that one away in terms of picture quality. No, it doesn't look all that impressive compared to top tier HD titles, but it's still easily worth upgrading if you're a fan.

Dazed and Confused - People have disagreed with me on this, but I think it looks noticeably sharper compared to the Criterion DVD. The audio is marginally better as well. The problem is the extras are the same as the crappy Flashback Edition from Universal, so you'll have to hang onto the Criterion. Plus it's a combo which makes it a little pricier. Probably only worth it if you love the movie.
Old 11-08-07, 12:56 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the most part I don't plan to get the HD version if I already have the SD version unless it's one of my absolute favorites. I did double-dip initially when I first got our PS3 by getting Black Hawk Down and Kingdom of Heaven because the PQ of those 2 got such rave reviews and I wanted to have something to play right away. I also double-dipped on PotC because I was able to get it for cheap at CC the day it came out because they had a GC deal mix up. I'm actually not sure how much I have though is available in HD. I know I didn't double-dip on Pearl Harbor and The Italian Job. Basically it's a monetary thing and I'd rather spend the resources on something else. All new purchases with the exception of 2 TV box sets have been BD this year. It doesn't make sense for me to repurchase something when I still have movies I haven't watched yet. The upcoming release of Cast Away may be one of the exceptions because that is a favorite of ours.
Old 11-08-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Elemental
My advice; don't start re-buying everything immediately on HDM. (Of course that's up to you and it makes a difference if you only have a small, say less than a hundred SD DVD's, collection). The thing is, in just a few years from now, you'll be able to replace your SD editions for only a small portion of the price HD discs go for now. Well, that's how I will upgrade a large portion of my collection in the future. Another good thing about waiting with re-purchasing is, in a few years from now, we'll know what the deal is concerning the "war". It's not a lot of fun having a huge library of discs for which players won't be available in a couple of years from now. I've been there with Laserdisc.
Great advice. In a couple years, either HD will become more popular, hense cheaper titles, or it will be a failure, which means clearence prices.

For now I am only replacing my all time favorites on HD, as well as new releases. Everything else, I'll wait for a good deal before I pay retail price.
Old 11-08-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about "Sleepy Hollow" -- worth an upgrade?
Old 11-08-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You shouldn't upgrade Goodfellas because you shouldn't have bought it in the first place!

I think it's a safe bet to upgrade any Universal title. I've noticed huge improvements in PQ on Pitch Black, Out of Sight, The Thing, The Big Lebowski, Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine.
Old 11-08-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by bookcase3
How about "Sleepy Hollow" -- worth an upgrade?
A lot of critics seem somewhat down on Sleepy Hollow, I actually thought it cleaned up a lot of murkiness found on the DVD version. So, imo, it's worth it if you can get it for a good price, it isn't revelatory though.
Old 11-08-07, 02:51 PM

How about an older movie, Sam Peckinpah's Getaway? already have the last SE SD-DVD, worth upgrade?

(get ready to deicde what to order during the DD sale!)

Last edited by tsetse27; 11-08-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 03:03 PM

If the sale of HD soaftware/hardware start to pick-up, how soon will we have to double-dip the same movie? (other than Full Metal Jacket.)

Many of the current release, like Sleepy Hollow, seems used the same master of the SD-DVD, which maybe 5 years old? It is vert likely they will have another release that, using a up-to-date-master, to sale the same movie again.

So maybe it is not priority to buy HD title that have older transfer? (specially if you still have the SD-DVD.)

(BR is even worse, since many titles are bare-bone, so they can released the same titel again with added extra.)
Old 11-09-07, 12:47 PM

Full Metal Jacket - first release offered very little in the way of an upgrade. PQ was not that great. I haven't seen the new remaster, but I have high hopes. Compared to first HD, SD-DVD on the A2 looks as good.

Serenity - almost a no brainer double dip, but then triple dipped back to SD for Collector's Edition. HD is defintiely still the best, but the extras on the CE are worthwhile (for me.)

Hot Fuzz - PQ is as good as the theater. Great transfer.

That being said, if you really enjoy the movie in question and there are no knocks on the transfer (FMJ), do the upgrade. But don't do it just for the sake of doing it.
Old 11-09-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I upgraded a few, but have yet to watch many of them

- Batman Begins
- Fast & The Furious
- Devil's Rejects (free via rebate)
- House of 1000 Corpses (free via traded rebate movie)

That is all I upgrade....I think I hav ea few other via rebate that I own, but still sealed.
Old 11-09-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
T2???
T2 HD DVD is readily available - its a French import 2 Discs, with the Theaterical Cut (forced French subs) and Directors Cut (no forced subtitles) You can get it a xploitedcinema.com
Old 11-09-07, 02:46 PM

Like most, I'll either upgrade if I really enjoy the movie, or if I get a great deal on it. I've currently upgrade POTC1, both Bourne movies, Batman Begins, Hellboy, and yes...the Big Lebowski. I'm buying anything new (that's available, and that I really want) in HD. I have noticed that I am much more selective when buying movies now. I don't know if it's sticker shock or finally realizing that I have so many DVD's that I either didn't watch at all or enough to justify the purchase. Like many others I wait for a BOGO or B2G1 sale before making HD purchases. I'd say my average price per disc ranges from $15-$16.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.