DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   When will this end? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/516490-when-will-end.html)

PrinceTom 11-06-07 06:45 PM

When will this end?

I am pretty new to the BluRay/HD debate. I have been looking around and seen a lot of different stuff about this format battle.

Id appreciate if someone can just explain to me the nature of this situation.

It doesn't seem like its possible for this to last. I can't believe its gotten this far. So Is this going to end? Is one going to win out over the other? Are they going to combine in some way?

Please explain...thanks a lot.

-T

True_Story1011 11-06-07 06:48 PM

probably as soon as everyone stops asking this question.

:horse:

TheMovieman 11-06-07 06:50 PM

How long has there been a battle between cable and satellite? Isn't that kind of the same kind of "war"? They both offer the same kind of thing but go about it differently. One has exlusives the other does not. I think this is something if viable for both parties could continue and co-exist and quite frankly, I think it's better that way so that one does not have a strangle-hold in the HD arena. But maybe I too am misunderstanding it...

Music 11-06-07 06:56 PM

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or 5 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 1 day... whichever occurs first.....

clemente 11-06-07 07:51 PM

No sooner than 17 months from now.

The Edit King 11-06-07 08:29 PM

WOW, PT! :eek:

You've been here a LONG time! :up:

I don't understand why there has to be a 'winner' or just one HD (DVD) provider.

'2' seems like a good number. :lol:

I own both systems and I (for one) am most contented and happy about it.

The Bus 11-06-07 08:35 PM

If you're waiting for the time when all movies or studios may be under one banner, that will probably never happen. If it does, it won't happen fully until 2010 or later. If ever.

If you're waiting for a player that will play both formats, they're here now, but not very good so far. They'll be better next year. For $498 you can get into both formats AND get ten movies to boot (or more).

Otherwise, what could you be waiting for? Cheap hardware? It's here. Software selection? Check. There's 600+ titles. The price for them isn't DVD cheap, but it's about as cheap as it was a year after DVD launched in retail locations. There's occasional sales where you can grab certain titles for $15 or so. Many are $20.

MBoyd 11-06-07 08:40 PM

Amazon still seems to be the best bargain out there when you do free shipping. And hell the Deep Discount sale is coming up too. I am totally happy with the prices i pay for HD DVDs.

Nugent 11-06-07 09:03 PM

I have two HD DVD players and about 30 HD DVD's. I have about 12 Blu Ray discs. Waiting on a $300 player. No refurbs. Unlike a lot of people I see on both sides I am emotionally not attached to either format. If the Blu Ray people don't step up with some cheaper stand alone players and people keep buying cheap HD DVD players, look for some studios to go where the money is. AKA, people wanting to feed their new HD DVD players.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I honestly could care less for what I will have invested in equipment.

Ocelot 11-06-07 09:47 PM

i heard that the war will be over by Jan 2008 ;)

Jay G. 11-06-07 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by PrinceTom
Id appreciate if someone can just explain to me the nature of this situation.

The nature of the situation is that when it came to creating a successor for DVD, the industry split over two different formats, one with technology developed primarily by Sony, one with technology primarily based on Toshiba's technology for DVD. This really isn't that unusual, since almost every major format has had a competitor in the past. Even DVD had DIVX. The last technology to not have a comparable competitor for succession was probably the CD.

The downside for consumers is that there isn't one format that has all the available content. The upside for consumers is that the competition is leading to better quality at cheaper prices than would be likely without competing formats.

It doesn't seem like its possible for this to last. I can't believe its gotten this far. So Is this going to end? Is one going to win out over the other? Are they going to combine in some way?
It's very possible for it to last. To keep this in perspective, the Beta vs. VHS war lasted around 9 years, at least, before one could determine a "winner." The DVD-R vs. DVD+R "battle" is still continuing, with no clear winner. Personally, I see this situation as closer to the "-R v +R" situation than the "Beta vs. VHS" situation. For one, Sony owns a major studio this time round, so it's highly unlikely they'll back down from BD support, even if it ends up with only Sony delivering content on BD. For another, a dual-format BD & HD DVD player is much more practical than a VHS & Beta player ever was. Already many DVD recorders can handle both +R and -R, and most players can play both. Dual-format players at a low price point would allow consumers to buy with confidence.

speedyray 11-07-07 04:32 AM

Doubt it will end, next Christmas at the earliest.

toldawg128 11-07-07 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Edit King
I don't understand why there has to be a 'winner' or just one HD (DVD) provider.

'2' seems like a good number. :lol:

But two can be as bad as one. it's the loneliest number since the number one.

PopcornTreeCt 11-07-07 09:50 AM

Even if HD-DVD is the clear winner, there will still be new movies available on Blu-ray. Because that's the way Sony is.

The Edit King 11-07-07 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by toldawg128
But two can be as bad as one. it's the loneliest number since the number one.

:lol:

Mr. M 11-07-07 11:49 AM

12/21/12

namja 11-07-07 12:28 PM

Not anytime soon.

Closing thread because we all know how this thread will turn out if left open much longer.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums