DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   PS3 or stand alone Blu-Ray player for the kids room? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/516414-ps3-stand-alone-blu-ray-player-kids-room.html)

TheKobra 11-05-07 09:04 PM

PS3 or stand alone Blu-Ray player for the kids room?

OK I currently have a PS3 for my main Blu-Ray player and I do not play games on it (that is what I have a PC for) and was wondering if I should buy a PS3 for the kids or a stand alone? Will the new BR players play the java discs?

Oh and to ask the question if my son will be playing game...no he is only 3 years old and I will be connecting this to his 42 inch Panasonic Plasma that also has the HD-A2 hooked up to it.

sweenytodd 11-05-07 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheKobra
he is only 3 years old...his 42 inch Panasonic Plasma that also has the HD-A2 hooked up to it.

A PS3?....heck, I think he needs his very own Richard Pryor...

RichC2 11-05-07 09:42 PM

Due to changing specifications I cannot recommend a Bluray standalone that is not the Playstation 3.

Not to sound like I'm dumping on Blu, but the PS3 is currently the only future proof BluRay Player.

And on that note, your kid is going to be a spoiled brat... that lucky son of a bitch.

Gizmo 11-05-07 09:47 PM

Can you adopt me?

HE Pennypacker 11-05-07 09:50 PM

Lucky kid.

Music 11-05-07 09:54 PM

Dad?

Flynn 11-05-07 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by sweenytodd

Funniest Post Of The Year.

Drexl 11-05-07 11:08 PM

The only issue is whether your son would end up breaking the loading slot on the PS3 because, well, he's 3 years old. My brother's daughter recently broke his HD DVD addon and Wii by sticking extra discs in the slot, but she was only 18-20 months old. I'm not sure if she will grow out of that at 3.

Frankly, I'd be afraid of the kid breaking any player, not to mention the discs.

TheKobra 11-05-07 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
The only issue is whether your son would end up breaking the loading slot on the PS3 because, well, he's 3 years old. My brother's daughter recently broke his HD DVD addon and Wii by sticking extra discs in the slot, but she was only 18-20 months old. I'm not sure if she will grow out of that at 3.

Frankly, I'd be afraid of the kid breaking any player, not to mention the discs.

I load all of the DVDs for him. I stopped letting him load them once he broke my Pioneer DV-59AVi. With the HD-DVD player only 97.00 bucks shipped from BestBuyBusiness was a steal. I guess I can pickup the 40GB PS3 for $400.00 shipped from Amazon.

WAIT....Would it be better to build a HTPC and put the new LG Blu-ray/HD DVD playing in it for $299.99? It would only cost me the price of the drive and an Nvidia VidCard with HDMI out.

Here is a link to the drive LD Blu Ray/HD DVD player

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...Model+GGC-H20L

This was great! I love the movie 'The Toy' and I am not Papa WarBucks or whatever they called him. I have this located in our loft as a 2nd AV room setup.

GatorDeb 11-05-07 11:30 PM

You married? :eyebrow: (and male and straight?)

TheKobra 11-05-07 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
You married? :eyebrow:

Yes. And one and I am done when it comes to kids.

I am trying to help control the population. :)

GatorDeb 11-05-07 11:34 PM

Just my luck :( All male good catches are either married or gay (which is fine if you're a man but sucks if you're a woman).

lotsofdvds 11-06-07 07:16 AM

That's US. Not you ass.

Michael Corvin 11-06-07 08:30 AM

Blu-ray player and a plasma in a kids room, a three year old to boot? :wtf: What he really needs:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8...od1dispms3.jpg + http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7636/vcrhm2.jpg + http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1...ones1s2oo5.jpg

The Bus 11-06-07 08:41 AM

You gotta be kidding me, right?

Right?

cpgator 11-06-07 08:55 AM

Why does a 3yr old need 2 HD players? How many little kid movies are even out in HD? Why not just a DVD player?

pinata242 11-06-07 08:59 AM

What does it matter to anyone else what someone's 3 year old should or should not have? Just answer the question and move on or don't chime in.

From what I know, the PS3 is the best current option.

cpgator 11-06-07 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
What does it matter to anyone else what someone's 3 year old should or should not have? Just answer the question and move on or don't chime in.

From what I know, the PS3 is the best current option.

I had some questions after reading the initial post. If you don't like it, then just move on and don't chime in.

pinata242 11-06-07 09:21 AM

Really? You don't think that kids maybe like Disney movies without having to be explicitly told that? You don't think that since Ratatouille and Cars are coming out today exclusively on Blu-Ray that someone would want to go that route to get the best version available?

I'm just saying the talk about "why" and "should/shouldn't" are wholly irrelevant to the conversation at hand. He just wants to know what type of BR player to get - nothing more.

cpgator 11-06-07 10:00 AM

First of all, you should relax with the sarcasm.

Most parents would agree that 1 – having a few thousand dollars of electronics in a 3yr olds room is not a good idea, and 2 – while a child this age might be able to sit through and enjoy these Disney movies, they certainly won’t care that they are HD.

A regular DVD player would probably be the best fit in this situation, which is why I was asking the questions.

sbelli 11-06-07 10:15 AM

Yeah, wow, I thought I was spoiling my 4-year-old by having a 13-inch TV and $20 DVD player in his room. I can't even afford a Blu-Ray player or PS3 for myself.

But if I had the money, I agree with most of the posts that the PS3 would probably be the way to go.

Jericho 11-06-07 10:39 AM

I would think getting a gaming system is just the smart move, just in case. Why not get the extra features, particularly if a kid might eventually enjoy them? Or you could move the PS3 into his room and get a standalone for yourself if you so choose.

Ocelot 11-06-07 10:51 AM

wow, three years old? you gotta be kidding me... so when he's 16 years old, you gonna give him a BMW or something? Dude, even if you're loaded, your parenting method is questionable... Three years old for god's sake, you can buy him some Leapfrog stuffs or something of that nature. Why not just save the money for his college fund or something. If you're getting a 2nd PS3 for yourself, that's more understandable...

TGM 11-06-07 10:57 AM

How about some books?

Tracer Bullet 11-06-07 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
You gotta be kidding me, right?

Right?

I sincerely hope so. A TV in the room of a three-year-old is bad enough.