DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   To Those Of You Who Purchased an HD DVD Player This Weekend (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/516296-those-you-who-purchased-hd-dvd-player-weekend.html)

Damed 11-04-07 05:35 PM

To Those Of You Who Purchased an HD DVD Player This Weekend

What group do you fall in to?

wewantflair 11-04-07 06:08 PM

My brother was decidedly ambivalent towards HDM until the Walmart sale, at which point he wanted an A2. Since the local WM, BB, etc. were all sold out of A2's instantly, I got in on the A3 deal for him today for Christmas.

danicus007 11-04-07 06:14 PM

I voted for New to High Definition. I was on the fence mostly because of price and jumped on the A-3 deal with 10 free movies since I had $55 in reward zone money. I'm a little miffed that I have way more movies I like on BluRay than HD-DVD, but I'm not paying $400 for a BluRay player. I'll pay $150 though with a bunch of free movies :)

darkside 11-04-07 06:27 PM

I bought an A2 as a gift on Friday and an A3 for myself as a second player in the bedroom.

Infrared Sight 11-04-07 06:58 PM

New to HD. Been waiting for $99 to pull the trigger and this got me in.

Mr. Cinema 11-04-07 07:16 PM

Bought 2 A3s, 1 for me, 1 as a gift.

BravesMG 11-04-07 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Bought 2 A3s, 1 for me, 1 as a gift.

Same here, except with A2s. Second HD-DVD player for me, one for my Xmas gift to my brother.

Hammer99 11-04-07 07:24 PM

Bought 1 $99 A2 for a gift. Still sticking with my A1 for now, & waiting for reviews on the Onkyo.

Jason Northrup 11-04-07 08:55 PM

I was BD exclusive but decided this was a good time to allow myself access to a small handful of titles I'd really like but are HD exclusives. So saying I'm now neutral isn't very accurate. I still hope BD wins and will be providing far more support to BD than I will HD.

lordzeppelin 11-04-07 09:57 PM

I voted for New. My best friend runs a CD Warehouse store, and we were talking 2 weeks ago about how the format war is still going strong, and that neither of us would be purchasing a 'next gen' player until the Combo players came down in price...Thursday afternoon I called him and told him about the WM HDDVD deal, and he was like "What? $98? If you go, can you grab me one?"

I've been on the fence the entire time. I thought BluRay would be where I'd end up eventually, and I didn't want to skip out on HDDVD, either. But I loved the fact that Sony is eating it on the PS3 (even though I'd like one eventually), so I was holding off. The price changed all of it, as I had been looking for an upconverting player recently anyways, so it might as well be HD for $20 more than the SD upconverting player I was scouting out...

Nefarious 11-04-07 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
The price changed all of it, as I had been looking for an upconverting player recently anyways, so it might as well be HD for $20 more than the SD upconverting player I was scouting out...

Ditto. My regular DVD player that does upconversion is on the fritz and I was holding out hoping Xmas would bring deals on HD-DVD. Wife grabbed one for me as a Christmas present.

advdfreak 11-04-07 11:22 PM

I really thought that I would wait it out until there was a format winner. This deal was just too good to pass up. Now I will purchase a Blu-Ray player after Christmas and be format neutral. I still haven't decided how I am going to split my purchases of HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and Standard Dvd's.

Holly Martins 11-04-07 11:34 PM

I had done some preliminary research and was leaning slightly towards BlueRay, but I decided to wait until at least next Summer before taking the plunge, in the hope that a clear format winner would be revealed by then.

However, I found WalMart's $89 special on the A2 to be too sweet a deal to pass up.

Now I'm firmly committed to HD DVD.

FusionX 11-05-07 12:13 AM

Thanks to Wal-Mart, I now have HD-DVD in four rooms. I held off on a player for the basement until now, but this deal was too good to pass on.

freshticles 11-05-07 04:15 AM

I bought and A-30 this weekend. I'm loving every second of it so far

speedyray 11-05-07 05:53 AM

Well, I was involved in the purchase of 3 - 2 for people not yet in the HD fray, and 1 that will be a backup unit for me or a gift - not sure yet. I voted new to HD since the main reason they were purchased was so my brother could go HD.

jpdude 11-05-07 07:34 PM

I Was a HD-DVD Virgin!

flix1 11-05-07 10:18 PM

I had bought a 60GB PS3 about 2 weeks ago (still have not opened it), primarily for Blu-ray, with the PS games being secondary. Getting a HD-DVD player (the HD-A3) for $175+tax plus 10 free movies was too good to pass up.

I already have it hooked up and have watched some stuff with it. The PS3 is still in the box.

GreenMonkey 11-05-07 10:26 PM

I bought one for one of my XBL buddies in Canada. I'll be mailing it to him as they're a lot more expensive up there.

I've almost bought a second one a few times just for the freebie movies. Still mulling it over.