Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Originally Posted by GenPion
If I purchased the A2 the other day and got my two free HD-DVD's, and want to get a third one, can I bring in my receipt and get it for free because of the promotion's change?
Yeah, BB will match their own promotions for up to 30 days after purchase with receipt
Old 11-04-07, 09:17 AM

OK, so I got an A2. Now that it's fully hooked up, I have a major problem : The image drops a few minutes into playback and the image is replaced by a "No Signal" blank display on my TV. It's weird because it's fine during the menu but glitches out shortly into program playback. I'm using an HDMI and a switcher that works fine with my PS3 and DVD player. Any thoughts? I think I'm screwed here since Walmart isn't going to have any more of these for me to swap it out with.

Last edited by Decker; 11-04-07 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-04-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Lizard thanks for the reply So if I have HDMI, the two are the same?

So it's not that they're a $200 and a $100 player, it's that they're both $200 players?

The 5 movies will sooner or later be $20, so the $200 at BB is about the same deal as the Walmart one.

Decker: Have you tried hooking it up without the switcher?
Old 11-04-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
OK, so I got an A2. Now that it's fully hooked up, I have a major problem : The image drops a few minutes into playback and the image is replaced by a "No Signal" blank display on my TV. I'm using an HDMI and a switcher that works fine with my PS3 and DVD player. Any thoughts? I think I'm screwed here since Walmart isn't going to have any more of these for me to swap it out with.
Try a different HDMI cable - your PS3 one for example. Then make sure your firmware is up to date. then try not using the switcher. These string will allow you to find the problem. I am not saying it is not the player, but you have a lot of variables going on there.
Old 11-04-07, 09:51 AM

its probably the switcher that is the problem.. I have heard many problems about those. that is why I got a new receiver to do the job.. with the onkyo 605 for 399.

Jacob
Old 11-04-07, 09:54 AM

I'll try eliminating the switcher and seeing how that works. Still, I don't know why it would drop the signal rather than not having one from the beginning.
Old 11-04-07, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I think only the 3rd generation models have the 2 in the package (300 & Bourne Identity). Best Buy was also offering 2 free HD DVDs in addition to this. I believe they have upped this to 3 this week.
thanks for the info. I get mixed up with all these deals and models. I thought BB or CC has different package (with two movies INSIDE the box) of A2 than WM's.
Old 11-04-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Lizard thanks for the reply So if I have HDMI, the two are the same?
Yes, if you have HDMI the two players should be about the same (they might have different internal components, but I haven't seen any reports to that effect). If you have an HDMI capable receiver you are golden: you can get DD+ and lossless TrueHD audio.

So it's not that they're a $200 and a $100 player, it's that they're both $200 players?
Exactly. The A2 is being clearanced and the A3 is its replacement and remains at the "high" price of $200 at most stores. But you can be sure that the price of the A3 will fall in the near future.

The 5 movies will sooner or later be $20, so the $200 at BB is about the same deal as the Walmart one...
Yes, you've got it! Whether the two in the A3 box, 300 and The Bourne Identity, are worth $20 to you depends on whether you want them. There will be a glut of those discs on the resale market so they really won't be worth $20 to resell. But the other three you could pick up from BB could easily be worth $20 to you if you had to buy them for yourself.
Old 11-04-07, 10:18 AM

update : It does seem to be related to the HDMI switcher. Eliminating it works fine. Dammit, now I need to buy a new switcher already. Strange that it works fine for the other two, though.

Also: I can't keep the opitcal cable plugged in well. Mine won't "click in place" like it's supposed to. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 11-04-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there a way to find out if any of the local stores have the A2 still in stock? I checked the link in the OP but it just shows what stores are available for ship-2-store.

Anyone know the wal-mart sku for the A2, so I could just call a store and have them check in the system?

edit: found the sku info in a AVS post, although the local store I called said they had to scan the item, they can't type in a sku. So no luck seeing if anyone still has one.

Last edited by Edison; 11-04-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-04-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UcfpJDcmq5M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UcfpJDcmq5M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-04-07, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
update : It does seem to be related to the HDMI switcher. Eliminating it works fine. Dammit, now I need to buy a new switcher already. Strange that it works fine for the other two, though.

Also: I can't keep the opitcal cable plugged in well. Mine won't "click in place" like it's supposed to. Anyone else with this problem?
I was having that problem with my DirecTV receiver, and it turns out it was the optical cable. I just got a new one from Monoprice for $6.
Old 11-04-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took my receipt from my A-3 and 2 free HD-DVDs into Best Buy today and the lady wouldn't give me the 3rd freebie. They said since I bought it on their website I would have to return it and re-buy everything. So I went to another Best Buy and they had no problem giving me my 3rd free disk. I hope it goes on sale again in the next 30 days so I can go back in and get even more money off.
Old 11-04-07, 10:44 PM

Well, to make matters more confusing, I returned the A2 and bought the A3 at BB instead. This one has no problem outputting signal through my HDMI switcher. Not having to buy a second switcher takes a lot of the pain out of having to pay an extra C-note for the player (and of course the 5 extra movies are nice as well).

As far as the optical cable thing went, it seems my input slot was broken. I might have broken it while setting it up. Anyway, it's been returned.
Old 11-05-07, 07:58 AM

1.) Anyone know which, if any, HD-DVD title included video-testing pattern and audio testing?

Well, I know "Video Essential" is the best for this purpose, but I would like something simple to do a quick setup checking without spending extra $.

2.) I hooked up my A2 and the machine seems work fine (have not download upgarde yet.)

Becuase my receiver has no HDMI input, I use Optical input instead. I set "bitstream" on the A2. When I play the movie (Casion and new edition of Full Metal Jacket,) the receiver show outputing DTS sounds. However, seems all the sound came from front and center speakers, nothing from rear speakers. Is this normal or someting wrong? I also notice on A2 front panel display, it states"2 Channel".

The receiver decodes SD-DVD from my old SD-DVD player prefectly, so I guess something different with HD-DVD and/or A2?

Thanks for info!

Last edited by tsetse27; 11-05-07 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: the notice of "2 Channel" on the A2....when I play standard DVDs I get the 2 channel notification on the A2 but I get full surround. Its a small bug of the A2 that it displays 2 channel.....

However, if you are playing an HD DVD you should be seeing Multi - on the A2....so I am not sure what the problem is...I would definitely do the firmware upgrade and see if that solves the problem.

in terms of free Video Essentials, I would check out Attack of the Clones THX optimizer..its a standard DVD, but it does the job.
Old 11-05-07, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by chanster
re: the notice of "2 Channel" on the A2....when I play standard DVDs I get the 2 channel notification on the A2 but I get full surround. Its a small bug of the A2 that it displays 2 channel.....

However, if you are playing an HD DVD you should be seeing Multi - on the A2....so I am not sure what the problem is...I would definitely do the firmware upgrade and see if that solves the problem.

in terms of free Video Essentials, I would check out Attack of the Clones THX optimizer..its a standard DVD, but it does the job.
Thanks for the info!

just updated 2.5 firmware. Seems surround sound works now, and exactly like you said
Old 11-22-07, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
All 25 Wal-Marts in within 50 miles of Atlanta state the A2 as being in stock!

8AM HERE I COME!

Now where is the best place to get a decent HDMI cable. (not online, I wants some instant gradification!)
The apple store sells good quality cables for $20