Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

WAL-MART HD-DVD player under 99 bucks!

Old 11-03-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of frustrating -- the A3 is still marked at a sale price online of $199 today at Best Buy, but shows out of stock at my local stores. It goes "on sale" tomorrow for $299 in the ad (with only the additional free DVD better than today's deal). Either my local stores have no stock for tomorrow's sale, or they purposely aren't letting you order them at today's $199 price. I had just received a coupon I can use, so was really considering this before tomorrow. . .
Old 11-03-07, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by rkndkn
Kind of frustrating -- the A3 is still marked at a sale price online of $199 today at Best Buy, but shows out of stock at my local stores. It goes "on sale" tomorrow for $299 in the ad (with only the additional free DVD better than today's deal). Either my local stores have no stock for tomorrow's sale, or they purposely aren't letting you order them at today's $199 price. I had just received a coupon I can use, so was really considering this before tomorrow. . .
Can't you order it online for local pickup?
Old 11-03-07, 05:16 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by TimT
Can't you order it online for local pickup?
Not if the store is out of stock (which he said BB.com said it was).

I was going to bite on the $199 + 9 discs, but decided to wait until tomorrow and hope for $199 + 10. If the player goes back to $299, I'm sure I'll find another deal this season that I'll be just as happy with as $199 + 9 (well, I hope so).
Old 11-03-07, 05:30 PM

why not pm it i think i'm gonna bite on the a3 tomorrow and return my a2
Old 11-03-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by orion1998_1
why not pm it i think i'm gonna bite on the a3 tomorrow and return my a2
You may want to check to see if there is a restocking fee before you take the A2 back.
Old 11-03-07, 06:50 PM

I didn't expect to find the A2 at any Wal-Mart today.
Surpisingly found plenty of stock at Riverdale Wal-Mart, after checking out Peachtree City and Fayavette, which both are out.

Now I bought one but here is my problem, and I appreciate someone can give me advice:

1.) I have a older model of 16x9 HDTV with no HDMI or DVI input. I have been using Component to watch SD-DVD.

Until the day I buy a new TV, what is the best way to hook up A2 for right now?

I read conflict information that 1080i signal can/cannot go thur Component input? Is that true for A2?

If it cannot, will I able to "chect" by using two adpotors? (HDMI-to-DVI, and then DVI-to-Component, and then to the TV...?)

2.) Also, is it possible to play non-region-1 DVD on A2?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-07, 06:54 PM

I am not sure about question 1.. but question 2 is no.. it cann't even play pal.

Jacob
Old 11-03-07, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tsetse27
Surpisingly found plenty of stock at Riverdale Wal-Mart, after checking out Peachtree City and Fayavette, which both are out.

Now I bought one but here is my problem, and I appreciate someone can give me advice:

1.) I have a older model of 16x9 HDTV with no HDMI or DVI input. I have been using Component to watch SD-DVD.

I read conflict information that 1080i signal can/cannot go thur Component input? Is that true for A2?

If it cannot, will I able to "chect" by using two adpotors? (HDMI-to-DVI, and then DVI-to-Component, and then to the TV...?)

Thanks!

I have no problem with 1080i through Component cables. it plays only region 1 DVDs but you can play imported HD-DVDs
Old 11-03-07, 08:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks!
You can watch HD DVDs in 1080i via component cables, but you can't upconvert regular DVDs via component.
Old 11-03-07, 09:04 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Is there a similar deal for the player in Canada?
Old 11-03-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Make sure to get a 3-year warranty from Squaretrade.com for $12.99

BTW what's the difference between the A3 and the A2? Is it THAT much better?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 11-03-07 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-03-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dvdlovr24
You can watch HD DVDs in 1080i via component cables, but you can't upconvert regular DVDs via component.
That is correct. That is an industry standard (for some reason - my bet is it was to promote HDMI adoption)
Old 11-03-07, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
A heads-up for anyone that's thinking about getting the A3 from Best Buy for $199-starting tomorrow, you can select 3 HD titles priced $34.95 or lower for free. So, you'll get the player, 300, Bourne Identity and 3 titles of your choosing for $199(and of course, the 5 mail in rebate titles).

I'm confused.. are you saying you get the A3 + 10 HD dvds? @[email protected]

1= 300
1 = bourne idenity
3 = "and 3 titles of your choosing"
5 = "and of course, the 5 mail in rebate titles"

I checked the website for bestbuy on the A3 and it says you get 7 titles (2 u choose, 5 from the list of limited possibilities via rebate)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1186003898783
Old 11-03-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300 and Bourne are in the box, and supposedly tomorrow it is your pick of 3 and 5 w/rebate = 10!!
Old 11-03-07, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jonw9
300 and Bourne are in the box, and supposedly tomorrow it is your pick of 3 and 5 w/rebate = 10!!
Is this nation-wide? I live in Houston and can't find any newspaper ads for Best Buy, unfortunately. I wasn't planning on getting an HD or blu-ray player for a while, but this might be a good buy if it's 10 dvds (well, 7 good ones and 3 crappy choices out of the 5).

but i haven't done my research !!!!!!! Is the A3 any good? Sigh.. going to have to track down which HD dvds are the best, too.. lol

EDIT: oh, and should I try put it in a shopping cart via the website and go pick it up 2morrow? wonder if that would still work..
Old 11-03-07, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
That is correct. That is an industry standard (for some reason - my bet is it was to promote HDMI adoption)

Thank you for the info!!

I am also reading the online manual on Toshiba site (well, I don't even want to open the box if I am not sure about this,) which states the same infor.
Old 11-03-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
So how much better is the A2 from the A3? What's the difference?
Old 11-03-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dammit, its so hard not too bite on this deal... I mean I have 300 and Bourne Identity, but I could easily sell them. But my A1 still works without any problems.
Old 11-04-07, 01:00 AM

So I have a question/situation that I would appreciate some advice on. A few days ago I bought an A2 at Best Buy w/ Hot Fuzz and Knocked Up. On a side note, I hadn't seen those movies before and I absolutely loved them both. Anyway, I watched them on my 360 player as I haven't yet hooked up my A2.

So, the A2 I got was an open box model. It looks fine and includes all the parts and, for all I know yet, it works fine. Still, I am thinking about returning it because right now I have no reason to own two players. I only have one TV (720p/1080i) and no friends or family that own an HDTV. I could sell it but I'm reluctant as I've never sold anything online and, with these recent deals, I don't feel like throwing my open box model/360 player into the fire.

So, if I return it, I have to return my movies as well, right? I'd assume so as that is only fair. How about if I ask for an exchange? Obviously Best Buy, online and B&M, are completely out. So what exactly do I get in exchange? A $99 credit towards an A3? In my perfect fantasy realm, I would ask for a new A2 and, being out, they would offer an A3 in exchange. This scenario seems highly unlikely however !

It seems that the A2 should be kept over the 360 player although my HDMI 360 system was manufactured just a few months ago and hopefully won't red light anytime soon. So far I've had no problems with the 360 player.

If you had to choose, which one would you choose? Would you return the other one and effectively give up the titles (which for my 360 would be Heroes, Planet Earth, Transformers, KK!) or would you just sell it? Should I try and "upgrade" my A2 instead and keep both? Should I sell both and go BR? Haha, just kidding. Seriously, though, I'm silly for buying two players in two weeks for one TV and need to formulate what to do from here.
Old 11-04-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
So how much better is the A2 from the A3? What's the difference?
The two machines are similar. If memory serves, the differences are:

Audio. For those who don't have HDMI capable receivers, the A3 will convert DD+ and TrueHD to DD @ 640 kbps for use over the optical S/PDIF connection. The A2 converts DD+ and TrueHD to DTS @ 1.5 Mbps. For those with older receivers that can't decode DTS, the A3 would be preferred. [The DD 640 kbps and DTS 1.5 Mbps should sound about the same, bitrates notwithstanding, they are equivalent.] For those who have HDMI capable receivers (or plan to buy one), this stuff is irrelevant.

Height. The A3 at 2.34 inches is slightly lower in profile than the A2 at 2.58 inches.

Cosmetics. Pictures of the players show that the A3 has a shinier look to it.

Price. Being a newer product, the A3 is a bit more expensive than the A2, which is having clearance sales at present. (They both have a $299 MSRP.)

As you can see, the differences are tiny and the models are essentially the same in features and capability.
Old 11-04-07, 01:14 AM

Edited For Mistake.

Last edited by beesonosu; 11-04-07 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-04-07, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I purchased the A2 the other day and got my two free HD-DVD's, and want to get a third one, can I bring in my receipt and get it for free because of the promotion's change?
Old 11-04-07, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks!
You can get 1080i over component for HD DVD titles. DVDs are limited to 480P over component, and only region one titles will play.

There is no Component to DVI adapter that I am aware of.
Old 11-04-07, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by chanster
Circuit City now has the A2 for $129

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do

Use a Discover card (and use it through Discover's site,) knocks 5% off.
Anyone know if CC's A2 also included two HD-DVD inside the package, similar to Bestbuy?

thanks!
Old 11-04-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know if CC's A2 also included two HD-DVD inside the package, similar to Bestbuy?

thanks!
I think only the 3rd generation models have the 2 in the package (300 & Bourne Identity). Best Buy was also offering 2 free HD DVDs in addition to this. I believe they have upped this to 3 this week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.