Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shining Blu Ray Review

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For an older title I must say I am really really impressed by the Shining on Blu Ray.

The colors really pop, the extra detail from the 1080p is really incredible (I have the previous DVD release), and to finally have this film in widescreen is all the more worth it.

I highly recommend picking this title up.
Old 10-23-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
i'm definitely excited for this one in hi-def! your comments have stoked my excitement even more.
Old 10-23-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured this would be a pretty good looking title since when it was on HD Net it looked nice.
Old 10-23-07, 02:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I saw an airing of it on TMC-HD and I was wowed by the audio mix.
Old 10-23-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the review I was wondering where they all were

What about the xtras?? Your overall comments ??

Cheers

Last edited by shanester; 10-23-07 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 03:13 PM

I haven't dug into the extras yet. I'll update my review with them when I get there.

As far as more details on the picture quality, it has a very three dimensional, deep, rich look to it in many places. The view to the Overlook hotel, the inside lobby, the wood floors. Its really knocked my socks off for such an old film. Very sharp and crisp. Id say this is as good of a transfer as Blazing Saddles, maybe a tad better. I can't see us ever getting a better picture quality release on this film then this.

Oh btw my screen is the Sharp Aquous 32" 1080p display.
Old 10-23-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by indiansbsa
I haven't dug into the extras yet. I'll update my review with them when I get there.

As far as more details on the picture quality, it has a very three dimensional, deep, rich look to it in many places. The view to the Overlook hotel, the inside lobby, the wood floors. Its really knocked my socks off for such an old film. Very sharp and crisp. Id say this is as good of a transfer as Blazing Saddles, maybe a tad better. I can't see us ever getting a better picture quality release on this film then this.

Oh btw my screen is the Sharp Aquous 32" 1080p display.
Thanks for the review - looking forward to picking this one up. Just visted the Stanley Hotel a couple months ago and have been wanted to watch this again.
Old 10-23-07, 11:26 PM

Watched The Shining Blu Ray disc tonight. Though the picture was grainy in spots (very few), overall is was a beautiful transfer, far superior to the standard DVD. The extras were wonderful as well - 2 superb featurettes (with the likes of Spielberg, Lucas, Friedkin and Nicholson chiming in), the previous Vivian Kubrick short documentary, as well as an informative commentary track with cameraman Garrett Brown and Kubrick historian John Baxter. There's also a featurette with Wendy Carlos talking about the music from The Shining (and A Clockwork Orange). It's a shame The Shining CD never has been available on a legit compact disc. The theatrical trailer is here as well. If you love the film, it's easily worth the purchase.
Old 10-23-07, 11:42 PM

HD Digest just posted their review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/325/shining1980.html

Looks like I have a good eye for these sorts of things. Their reviewer agrees- the picture quality is officially stunning!

The audio quality- which I didnt comment on earlier- I found to be perfectly appropriate for this film. Some decent use of the surrounds in places but mostly front-centric to reflect the original theatrical presentation as best as possible I would have to imagine.

Enjoy this one folks- they dont come much better then this
Old 10-24-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome
Old 10-24-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good to hear this was handled with care!
Old 10-24-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The shots driving up to the Overlook early in the movie are stunning... almost three-dimensional.
Old 10-24-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its good to see that warner keeps hitting thier disc outta the park.
Old 10-24-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wish they could have included that alternate trailer as an easter egg, but then they would have had to license Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill."
Old 10-24-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I wish they could have included that alternate trailer as an easter egg, but then they would have had to license Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill."
Which can't cost too much since it keeps being used in trailers.
Old 10-27-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was on the fence on this one but I'm now heading off to order it.
Old 10-27-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Bought this to push me over $50 to get free shipping on this months WHV coupon (25% off), now I just have to play the waiting game for it to actually arrive. (Picked up The Shining, Batman Begins, Galapagos, and one other catalog title on HD-DVD for about $15 a piece)

Can't wait to see it!

I really want to pick 2001 up now as well, that remaster sounds phenomenal as well.
Old 10-27-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
This movie still scares the hell out of me.
Old 10-30-07, 03:26 PM

Got a quick question for you folks who know the Shining better than I do..

In the scene were Jack tells Wendy there was nothing in room 237 and Danny has the vision of the bleeding elevator, an odd flickering effect appears at the top of the screen as the blood rushes out of the elevator. Was this intentional or a defect in the transfer? I pulled out my old DVD to check and I thought I saw something similar but at that low of resolution I couldn't be 100% sure.
Old 10-30-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
While I'm not as impressed as I was with The Thing, this is still a phenomenal transfer.

Amazing how good these older movies look (so far the only one I've been disappointed with is Superman, which had issues due to dated special effects and really bad light blooming, how the movie was shot tho, not the transfer).
Old 10-31-07, 01:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by indiansbsa
Got a quick question for you folks who know the Shining better than I do..

In the scene were Jack tells Wendy there was nothing in room 237 and Danny has the vision of the bleeding elevator, an odd flickering effect appears at the top of the screen as the blood rushes out of the elevator. Was this intentional or a defect in the transfer? I pulled out my old DVD to check and I thought I saw something similar but at that low of resolution I couldn't be 100% sure.
Without having yet seen the transfer in question, I imagine that effect was due to overcranking the camera to get the slow motion shot. But I'll take a look when I review it.